RELOAD SWISS POWDER FOR 6.5X47

MUSKY

Hi all

Just seeing if I can get a little more info on this powder and to see what other peoples opinions are on it.

After using H4350 with 140g ELD'Ms I am now wanting to start up a new load for the 143g ELD'Xs.

Don't see the point in using whatever 4350 I have left as as we all know it is no longer going to be available in the uk.

Think I am going to be able to get plenty of the reload swiss powder so was going to give it a go.

Just wasn't sure of which one to use. From what I have read I am being drawn towards RS62?

Any thoughts or opinions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I use RS60, aka Elcho 17, with Lapua Scenar 105 L's at 2900 fps MV.

RePete

Edited 26 Sept.: Sorry, wrong bullet. Should have read 136 grain Scenar "L"

Thanks for all the replies!

I think Big Al's pics say it all. I know all rifles behave differently but from what people are saying then this powder is definitely worth a go!!

Thanks again.

I found the powder was very stable in terms of point of impact so was well suited to that barrel and bullet combination. For this particular application which was a 1000yd benchrest rifle then speed was also important hence opting towards the higher end of the charge weights, these filled the case and with 42.2gr there was a very slight crunch on seating the bullet but no pressure at all.

Seating depth on the OCW test was my standard 20 thou off so not optimised in this instance, a separate seating depth test showed the best results were at 40 thou off and they stayed tight between 30 & 50 thou in this particular case.

I would start around 41.0gr and work your way up.

post-13063-0-89269000-1506283970_thumb.jpg

I found the powder was very stable in terms of point of impact so was well suited to that barrel and bullet combination. For this particular application which was a 1000yd benchrest rifle then speed was also important hence opting towards the higher end of the charge weights, these filled the case and with 42.2gr there was a very slight crunch on seating the bullet but no pressure at all.

Seating depth on the OCW test was my standard 20 thou off so not optimised in this instance, a separate seating depth test showed the best results were at 40 thou off and they stayed tight between 30 & 50 thou in this particular case.

I would start around 41.0gr and work your way up.

attachicon.gifIMG_0240.jpg

HI Big Al,

I am looking to try RS62 with Lapua Scenar 139gr in a 6.5 creedmoore. I am I correct in my belief that I could start at say 40gr and work my way up?

ATB

Ed

HI Big Al,

I am looking to try RS62 with Lapua Scenar 139gr in a 6.5 creedmoore. I am I correct in my belief that I could start at say 40gr and work my way up?

ATB

Ed

I use RS62 and 139 Senars in my 260 Rem rifle.

I started at 40gr and worked my way up. You should be safe to do likewise.

I use RS62 and 139 Senars in my 260 Rem rifle.

I started at 40gr and worked my way up. You should be safe to do likewise.

Hi Xtrema,

Thanks for this, I think I shall try and source some. I assume you got on ok with it?

ATB

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

RS have just sent me the QL data for RS62 and 6.5 Creedmoor for anyone needing the data. This is based on the 139 Scenar L; 24 inch 1/8 barrel

Nominal (starting) charge weight = 41 grains/2596fps/43902psi/98.9%burnt/89%fill

41.8gr/2646fps/46650psi/99.3burnt/91%fill

42.6gr/2696fps/49750psi/99.6 burnt/93%fill

43.5gr/2746fps/52675psi/99.9burnt/95%fill

Nearing max pressure....proceed with caution!:

44.3gr/2795fps/55976psi/100%burn/96% fill

45.1/2844fps/59489psi/100%burn/98% fill

From the above, it might be wise not to exceed 44 grains as looking at the 10% change powder to powder lot for the nominal charge, an increase of 10% results in a pressure rise from 43,900 to 53,600, so over 10,000psi for a 10% batch variance. I've found QL to err a little on the side of caution and so far, using RS powders have always exceeded the QL figures for velocity as the loads increase past halfway from nominal to max load, so my guess is that decent velocities in 6.5 CM may be found from just below 43gr to 44gr. I'll be starting at 41 and working up to 44 or until pressure signs are found and will publish the results at the end of the month if of help to others.

• 4 months later...

Archived