17 Hornet - Who . . .

David, I don't personally own a .17 hornet but two of my very good shooting buddies do, I can tell you I have seen them both take shots and kill rabbits/crows/pigeons out to and slightly over 300yds in good conditions, this is using finely tuned home loads..

Regards.

Hi David,

My mate has just got a .17 Hornet. We set the rifle up shooting some facory loads and running the barrel in etc, keeping hold of the fireformed brass etc fro reloading.

We have just started to load developement for the rifle, all I can say is using the 25 grain Vmax and LIlgun powder it is looking very promising and using only 8 - 9.6 grains of powder.

We shall be doing extensive load testing this week end if the weather forecast is correct.

Looks like its going to be a nice little efficient cartridge.

Steve

I own one CZ527V Crap out of the box had to bed the action and installed brass pillars , very very accurate now pigeon a 405yds one a 396yds with 25grn Vmax , It shoots the 25grn and 20grn vmax mint it also likes the Hornady 25grn HP and berger 20grn, .

I have a CZ 527 & so does my mate,

Both are tack drivers, with both factory loads & our own load 20 gr vmax.

Both ours are fitted for night shooting with 6.5 photons, we both shoot rabbits regularly out to 250 yards with not much fuss

And we have both taken fox, with a well placed shot at 150.

As long as you except it has limitations then it's a great rifle calibre, I am very happy with my set up as is my mate.

A very capable round & I love the CZ.

Al.

I also have the CZ 527 in 17 H.

The 17 H has a lot going for it as a short range vermin and foxing rifle.

its an accurate little cal that has NO perceivable recoil. It has low ricochet potential and is deadly on rabbits, crow ect.. and fox out to 170 yrds

It is also very efficient. a mere 11 -12.grn of AA 1680 will zip a 20 grn Vmax at 3750 fps or 25 grn pill at 3370. The extra speed and better BC bullets of the 17 cal gives it a big advantage over its bigger brother the 22 H I regularly take vermin out to 300 yrds in mild conditions - but its a calibre that is best left in the cabinet if the wind is Howling.

It is certainly a calibre that punches above its weight.

ATB

S

I run a 527 in .17 Hornet.

17, 20 or 25 Grn bullets, all home loads.

All very destructive on bunnies or what ever you shoot.

The 17 Grn bullets are very effective when downloaded to HMR levels for night shooting with N32C or Trail Boss.

20Grn Varmageddon with 12.2 Grn DO63 zeroed at 0.5" high at 100yds gives a 1" drop at 200yds and around 11" drop at 300yds (or at least mine does).

The bullets get pushed around by the wind but nothing too bad.

I have a Cz527 American in 17 Hornet that I'm very happy with. It sits is a B&C fibreglass stock with aluminium bedding.

It was initially frustrating to find a load for, but once I figured it out it has been a delight.

It likes Berger bullets best and I have recently switched to RS36 powder which is cleaner burning that Lovex D063.

I have taken rabbits beyond 300 yards but I see it more as a reliable 200 yard rifle.

I have a 22 Hornet and my mate has a 17 Hornet. Both will do the business at 200 yards with ease and I've taken rabbits much, much further than that with the 22 Hornet.

Know it's limitations and don't bother with longer range varminting if the wind is over 10mph unless you can dial things perfectly.

One thing with the 17 Hornet though, is that decent brass seems to be hard to come by. The Hornady stuff seems to be shocking. Much more choice in 22 Hornet.

I was getting 3400fps from 11.6gn Lovex, and it would go quite a bit faster from a heavier load. I got passed 12.2gn loading testing IIRC. I backed off for better brass life.

The RS powder started blowing primers at 11.8gn and will not reach the Lovex speeds, but it burns more fully and cleanly in my shortish sporter barrel.

hi, to the chaps who have got the .17 hornet. what scope / mag. are you using for the long range shots ?

I found a Simmons Pro hunter 6-18 X 40 win a box of scopes in the cave and stuck that on.

Great with the lamp, and surprisingly good in day light for what it cost, well suited to the job of point and shoot out to 200yds.

Eventually I will put something with mil dots on it, as the 20 -20 ret on the Simmons is not much use at 300 yds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 9:54 PM, David Hancock said:

i have a 17AH, think you may have shot it last year when you came up. Nice short range tool.

I did Geoff and remember it well. A sexy little round. Must do it again. All the best. David

Its ok but its not a 300 yard round,     for that sort of distance more legs are needed,  204/222/223.   I have killed crows to a shade over 200 in ideal conditions with 20gr Vmax but have missed more than I hit.   You dont have the authority of a slightly missplaced round that you do with 20 or 22.   I have seen a crow fly away with a leg dangling by a cord.  luckily I caught up with it later the same day.  Another one with entrails hanging out flew 120 yards before collapsing dead.  Both hit with a bigger pill with more energy would have dropped on the spot.

Re target shooting, as you are aware our friend has had to have a pacemaker fitted so is banned till next spring from driving,   sort something when he is back up and running.  He has subsequently shot a fox with no heart issues.   Am busy pheasant shooting now anyway so need ground kept fairly quiet until Feb.

A

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2017 at 10:33 PM, David Hancock said:

Who is running one of these ??. Opinions please for 200 - 300 yards vermin

I fancy one in the newly chambered Weihrauch HW66 Jadg Match - which if as beautifully built (it will be) and accurate as my previous HW66 in .17HMR, it will be quite a tool.

Hi David,

have you managed to get your Hans on the hw66 in 17 hornet yet?  Interested to no what you think as I have a slot for a 17 hornet and have the hots for the HW60,  I guess supply is ltd only one dealer on gun trader offering one ,Dave .

Dave, I am trying to sell my Howa .223 then put in for a 141 on a 17H.  The only available rifles are with Steve Beatty - greet chap - in a HW60J - I don't like those stock as Jagd Match are my preferred.  Hull Cartridge can order a HW66 JM so they are available.  In a fluted barrel they would go like hot cakes I am sure.  Otherwise a laminated TH 525 CZ.

Archived