perazzi top lever

I was loading for a guy yesterday and when you closed the gun the top lever seemed to stick in the open position. I had to manually push the top lever back into the central position after I closed the gun. Not an ideal situation in a grouse butt. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Drum

Pull the stock off and have a look in the action internals for dry, rusty, over greased, under greased etc springs and pins.

Its dead simple to do. I strip my Perazzi twice a year for a clean and light grease and lube.

Thats your first call mate.

Steve

Hi Drum,

On my Perrazzi , if you open the gun with a push of the lever right over hard, the lever remains there till, as the gun closes, the barrel pushes the little tit on the action face in, and the top lever returns. If you take the barrel off, you have to push the tit in by hand to get the lever to return. It is possible the tit has got dirt jamming it, or it has been damaged. Alternatively, when you open the gun, a gentle push of the top lever, just enough to drop the barrel, seldom sets the tit. Don't know if any of this helps.

You've hit the nail on the head. The wood work has swollen and that is causing the top lever to stick. The same happened on my Perazzi, I sanded the stock slightly and reoiled the wood and the problem has never come back.

Yes, definatley swollen wood. Just hoping it dries out and frees up. Not keen on taking sand paper to the stock without speaking to the owner, any other way of shrinking the wood fast? Will standing near a heat source (radiator)dry it to fast?

I had exactly the same problem with my Beretta this week, only it wouldn't go far enough over to open the action, so was jammed shut.

Took it to GMK today, they said they've had it happen to a few guns and put it down to the drying process in the factory being so good, that when the wood naturally moistens, it swells. They're going to re-profile the woodwork and refinish.

It had raised 1mm above the action

Archived