IR Illuminators ???

22cf

I'm new to NV gear and having been out with a friend using a thermal spotter I've decided to invest in a Pulsar XQ30V thermal spotter and a Pulsar forward F155 NV attachment. The F155 is a new but of kit that doesn't arrive until October but I expect it will need a better IR illuminator to than the one supplied with it.

What would you guys recommend ???

I'll be using it for foxing mainly out to 200yds and would rather buy the right tool first time than waste money on cheap substandard gear.

As above, I'd wait until others have tested it, Pulsar front mounts dont have an impeccable history if memory serves. Personally I'd get a dedicated unit (Drone Pro or thermal) and swap them over if you cant or dont want to have a dedicated NV/thermal rifle.

The F155 is an entirely unknown quantity and the previous/current Pulsar forward add-on - the DFA 75 has been a miserable failure.

There's no optical magnification with the F155 so all the magnification has to come from your scope.

The scope is essentially looking at the display on the add-on and as the scope magnification increases, the individual pixels on the display become visible and the quality of what you can see through your scope rapidly degrades.

For the F155, Pulsar say that the maximum magnification you can use without excessive degradation of the image is x6-x8.

I think you'll struggle to get a shootable image of a fox at 200 yards.

To mount the F155, you'll need to buy the adaptor that fits on your scope - and that's another £100

Frankly, bite the bullet and buy a Drone Pro and something like a B502 IR illuminator from Clive Ward at Night Vision Store.

Cheers

Bruce

Drone pro and a nm800 ir with x-searcher head works brilliantly for me.

Shot 5 the other evening, most around 100-250 yds, however a particularly long one was ranged the following morning at 340yds, although you are able to clearly see things much further out than that.

Buy once cry once.

If you don't want to spend Drone Pro money I can recommend the photon. Had mine out last night and took three fox's within 10 minutes. With the B502 illuminator I safely shoot to 300 yards.

I swapped from a drone to a photon, the photon is much better value for money and with a doubler/sunranger 300m foxes are easily shootable in good conditions. I dont miss the drone at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped from a drone to a photon, the photon is much better value for money and with a doubler/sunranger 300m foxes are easily shootable in good conditions. I dont miss the drone at all.

Just curious,.... How many 300m foxes you shoot at are actually hit and killed using your photon.....with all respect why do you need to shoot foxes that far with n/v?

Don't think I'll be swooping my drone for a photon any time soon..

Archived