Sonic cleaners for brass

The Gun Pimp

I've not cleaned a case internally (except for necks) since pistols were banned.

Now that I'm using an AMP annealer, I'm making my brass last longer than 5 or 6 firings so, I thought it might be a good idea to clean 'em inside and I've bought an ultrasonic cleaner. (Ebay, Chinese, £40)

Anyone have a favorite solution to add to the water?

Vince, buy some citric acid from Amazon and dishwasher liquid shine solution (Morrison's own brand is good). One tablespoon of citric acid and dishwasher solution in 1/2 litre of water works every time.

My recipe works great, but depends on the power and model of your ultra sonic machine.

I use hand hot water, 3 caps full of "Sea Clean" 5 drops of any fairy liquid, but the cheap stuff. And a good tea spoon of Citric acid.

x2 lots of 480 seconds, without using the plastic pan. Didn't seem to harm the surface of the Sonic cleaner, but made a better job.

"Sea Clean" can be had on most web sites, like Amazon.

The brass came out very clean inside and out, even the primer pockets.

When i did it for a longer time the brass went a weird yellow colour, but still usable.

When done, i empty them out on a wet tea towel. I've had great results with this method...

I need to buy and add something from a supermarket, that will eliminate the water marks. Ideas on what to get folks??

Good look, what ever you choose to do.

Chaz

I've not cleaned a case internally (except for necks) since pistols were banned.

Now that I'm using an AMP annealer, I'm making my brass last longer than 5 or 6 firings so, I thought it might be a good idea to clean 'em inside and I've bought an ultrasonic cleaner. (Ebay, Chinese, £40)

Anyone have a favorite solution to add to the water?

I will give it six months Vince before you go back to doing what you have always done.

Does anyone have any data on how much internal powder capacity is lost after repeated loading's, and only "prepping" the outside of the case??

Cheers.

Apologies for the hijacking "The Gun Pimp". I thought it may be beneficial to us both, and maybe others...

Don't waste your time and money Vince.

I used an industrial grade ultrasonic, and it was still crap from the point of view of time, and trouble.

Get a LEM stainless tumbler from Kranks. It will do 100 cases ,absolutely like new in 10 to 15 minutes.

If you want to try one before you buy, pop down to the shop and use mine.

Oh! Vince. Moving into the 21st century. I have just done 500 .308 cases for one of the guys using the Eskdalemuir range.

LEM stainless cleaner from Kranks.

Spiker.

Many thanks guys for all the replies - some great info.

And yes - Elwood is probably right!

Dave (Baldy) - I did try the Lyman with stainless pins and it was very good but seemed a lot of messin'.

One last question - citric acid - there are about 50 varieties on Amazon - is a powder best? What grade?

Thanks again.

If you want shiny brass, tumble it. I want clean brass. US cleaning gets the dirt out and cleans the primer pockets and I'm good with that. I would advise buying and industrial grade ultrasonic cleaner. The $60 units don't work with a hoot by comparison.

Like you, I did the steel and tumble routine. Didn't like fishing for the steel in the cases. US is quick and effective if you get the right machine and the right cleaner. I used the Hornady commercial stuff. Hard to get on your side of the pond at a reasonable price but one jug makes gallons of cleaner and it works very well.~Andrew

One last question - citric acid - there are about 50 varieties on Amazon - is a powder best? What grade?

Thanks again.

This one Vince....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CITRIC-ACID-Anhydrous-Grade-Additive/dp/B00WQ7632E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503382107&sr=8-2&keywords=citric+acid

Just to add, dishwater rinse solution helps remove the water from the surface of the brass.

Bicarb in a solution will do no harm in neutralising any salts in the washing up liquid as suggested above

Vince,

Just a thought

Acids (citric) react with metals (copper,zinc).

The brass composition might just be changed with repeated cleanings.

Annealing ideally should be matched to the metallic composition of the cases-AMP point out

And they will test any sample case sent to them,and recommend the optimum AMP setting.

This may/not be(come) an issue,but it would be of some interest to see if the chemistry/metallurgy does change with repeated acid baths. Given the relative crudity of some annealing without reported negatives,it may be a very minor issue,but AMP is ...errr hot on this optimising in their marketing,at least. :-)

g

I have been using the same Citric as in the link from Brillo for the last ten years. Good stuff, and just a teaspoon does a lot of cases.

This may have been posted before but the 6mmbr article has lots of information on US cleaning.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Neutralizing with something after cleaning with citric acid is a must.

Bicarb or better still Birchwood casey (which can/should be used again and again, just pour it back into a bottle and let the sediment settle, then pour it off) does the job, then roll the wet cases in paper towel to remove the surface water (I put my cases in an ice cream tub lined with kitchen towel and give them a rolling shake) and dry in a low oven or in a warm place overnight.

A tsp citric acid plus a tsp of non-biological washing liquid per 2 litres of water in an old Decon lab ultrasonic bath at 60-80C for 1 hr, then a couple of rinses in rainwater and a blow with a hot air gun.

The rainwater is soft, so no water marks are left.

RePete

A tsp citric acid plus a tsp of non-biological washing liquid per 2 litres of water in an old Decon lab ultrasonic bath at 60-80C for 1 hr, then a couple of rinses in rainwater and a blow with a hot air gun.

The rainwater is soft, so no water marks are left.

RePete

I have some de-ionised water, would that be any good to reduce, or get rid of water marks Pete?

• 2 weeks later...

Get some of the proper Hornaday stuff. Citric Acid will leave your brass pink and additional faff with neutralising it.

I disagree. I've never had a pink case yet.........I just do x2 of 480 seconds, with 2 caps of sea-clean, 1 tea spoon of any citric acid should do it along with 5 drops-ish of washing up liquid. When that's done, i just rinse under the tap with the wife's colander for around a minute. :ph34r:

Then put them on a tray in the oven pre-heated (very low heat oven) for around 3-5 mins. Then leave to cool for 15 mins, job done. :)

To be fair most users will have their own way of cleaning their brass. You could try a few different ways...... I bought a bottle of Lyman Turbo Sonic cleaner Liquid, and it was not cheap!! But the results were not very good Either..... Especially in the primer pockets But my own recipe above has them like new inside and out! And no obvious signs of any brass dissolving. Good luck with your cleaning...

Chaz.

Archived