Which smith for my Marlin 1894

markymark

Hello all,

Was hoping to give my JM stamped 1894 Marlin .357 some TLC. First off I have some XS sights, fitted the rear fine but the supplied front sight is far too loose in the exsisting dovetail, is not held into place with any tension and slides side to side. I have seen online to perhaps use a punch on the base of the sight but my gut feeling that it would still be too loose for that. What would a smith do to it?

I'm tall, and it's always been a tiny LOP. I could do with an extra inch (don't we all!). Any pre fit pads won't fit, so I'm thinking I need a custom grind to fit one done.

Equally the bluing is getting a bit tatty and considering getting it cerakoted.

Would anyone recommend a smith who is near me for the above treatment?

Cheers,

Mark

ive put a leather sock type thing on my butt which takes some shims found it on e bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-SLIP-ON-RECOIL-PAD-Hunting-/261907077926?hash=item3cfae0db26:g:RCAAAOSwv0tVaIqT

its ok but universal .Someone like Saddler could make a better one though im sure

MM

I believe Dave Wylde ('Baldie' on here) of Valkyrie rifles has dabbled with Marlins, give him a call, if he does not do it he'd probably know a man who does?

T

Hello all,

Was hoping to give my JM stamped 1894 Marlin .357 some TLC. First off I have some XS sights, fitted the rear fine but the supplied front sight is far too loose in the exsisting dovetail, is not held into place with any tension and slides side to side. I have seen online to perhaps use a punch on the base of the sight but my gut feeling that it would still be too loose for that. What would a smith do to it?

Cheers,

Mark

Go and buy a cheap set of feeler gauges, find the one that fits and takes up the slack in the front sight, cut a piece off and Loctite it in place

Archived