Which reloader Swiss in 300 wsm

Montey

I'm hoping to get on with my new 300 wsm F class rifle Mick at Dolphins has built it and developed a load but I've been told the powder used can't be imported any more. I use RS 52 in my 308 and am very happy

Pleas can any one recommend which powder to work with pushing 215 burgers or 210g burger.

Any successful loads working with a Swiss powder but I can back off from would be appreciated?

Going by QuickLOAD, RS70 with those heavier bullets.

With the Berger 215 grain Hybrid, loaded to the max standard OAL (2.860"), you can stuff in 60.5-63.0 and keep it in the yellow (safe pressure range). The max load is about 65.5 grains, but as always, QuickLOAD is just a guide, not hard facts.

RS60 is listed in their manual and on line loading data for bullets up to 170 grains with the 300 WSM. There's one user submitted load using RS70, but this with a 150 grain Barnes TSX bullet.

Not aware of any hogden powders not available/ discontinued

There is always occasional availability issues when awaiting importers to receive shipments

I would ask Mik Mak if he has any of the powder that load development was done with

Powders will be subject to new regulation (essentially about undesireable components in them).

Vihtavuori and Reload Swiss ranges seem ok (made in Europe).

Anyone starting load development might want to be aware that some/many powders may not be available,and that includes many non european powders in their current form.

It''s not a local shop 'marketing' ploy.

It's not "just a Varget famine,until the boat comes in".

Some will not be legal (unless reformulated-ie differnt powders).

Out of 'REACH' one might say...look it up for details. (Laurie posted recently).

gbal

REACH: " Regulation,Evaluation,Authorisation and restriction,of CHemicals".

Mainly aimed at Euro sale/use of Agro/bio pesticides etc,but some older/non euro reloading powders may contain some dodgy substances...

Deadline for submission for testing seems tto be 2018.

So no final,definitive lists of cleared for sale powders yet...

g

Ok thanks

Is it known if existing stock held by retailers becomes inadmissible for sale if it is not compliant or is it just that new stock cannot be obtained until its chemical make up has been changed ?? or is there the usual bureaucratic black hole regarding any sensible guidance

Sorry. To hijack the thread, it's just that I've recently changed to H1000 from Vhit N165 and wondering if it was an ill timed decision

If so may well have to revert back to Vhit, or look at the RS ranage myself

I'm using RS70. 67.3gr behind a 210gr Nosler Accubond. Achieving 2870fps from a 24" barrel.

Quickload suggests this is just overpressure, 100% burn and 31% efficiency (apparently anything over 30% is very good).

No pressure signs on my ladder test up to 68gr.

Obviously the usual caveats apply. Work up your own loads etc. I started the ladder test at 62gr which produced a rather anemic 2530fps.

With a 30+" barrel you should hit some respectable velocities. Using the litz bc rather than the nosler bc (.648 vs .730) the bullet should still be supersonic out to 1700 yds from a 24" barrel.

Edit: I'm loading with an oal of 2.90 which is still about 45 thou off the lands.

Been to Bisly today and got three tubs of H 4831 so ok for now but there is not going to be any more I've been told so I will switch to RS before I run out.

Thanks for all the loads people are using.

Archived