Renewals in Jockland

Chanonry

UPDATED - Got BASC to speak to main man in HQ. FEO was wrong. Shotgun barrels not on cert rifle barrels are.

FFS

Interesting chat with the FEO today. All very slick but a couple of interesting points :

Police Scotland will not put spare barrels on the cert any more. Yup. No idea. Yes its ^&%&* daft. Yes moderators will still be on. No.

I assume (but am checking) that this means barrels already in possession, there must be something about a right to acquire (and hence new barrels will be on the cert). His advice to me was if I got stopped was to suggest to the Officer that he should check with Police Scotland before arresting me. When he checks their system my authorisation to possess will come up.

Problems everywhere with that one. I suspect it will not last, but in the meantime ....

The other issue was more in our favour. If time is running out for the renewal then there is an alert which raises a daily list of certificates which are in have been ok'd but documents not completed and the existing cert is due to run out next day. These will be 'approved' and even though the paperwork may not arrive for a couple of weeks, we are legal. Apparently this is because an officer pointed out in a meeting that if one of us got arrested for being in possession, then Police Scotland also risked arrest for being 'art and part' of the crime :D

I know that all my spare SHOTGUN barrels were removed from certificate listing about two years ago when they realised they'd been wrong to list them in the first place.

Wonder if your FEO had had a good lunch & was in a nice warm room having a snooze when he half heard the barrels issue being mentioned, added 2 + 2 & got 7?

Cannot see HOW it can be legal to NOT list a Section 1 part on an FAC

..and the contact Police Scotland b.s.? Hard enough to get through to them in office hours, let alone at whatever o'clock someone in the UK decides to check your FAC entitlement....

If they're NOT following Home Office guidelines (again) then they are not acting within the law

a) how is that legal it is a component ??

B) no, that is how they have been processed

c) exactly

d) it is electronic enquiry available throughout the uk

e) home office guidelines are not the law

(Saddler said) Police Scotland <snip> If they're NOT following Home Office guidelines (again) then they are not acting within the law (/Saddler)

Devolution has unfortunately made that last statement of yours redundant.

The Chief Constable (Phil Gormley) and his Firearms and Explosives Licensing 'team' (who report to the Scoittish Ministers - not Westminster) have to be "satisfied" .... several of the recent "quidelines" incorporate a "not in Scotland" clause and for the last few years PS FELD have been making up their own rules (I don't mean they are creating a dangerous situation and lowering the standard, more that they are being overly caustious and exceeding the quidelines). This 'advance' has slowed a little since Chief Inspector Fraser (FREEDOM) Lamb retired.

The department is under pressure, lack of resources, staff and cash, which can't be making life easy, hopefully common sense will prevail (rather than politically driven neurotisism) and they find a way to reduce costs, without compromising safety.

The Scottish Government do NOT have full powers as it relates to firearms.

However, in the specific area of medical rules which came into force on 1 st April 2016 (and for which no new legislation was passed by either the the UK or Scottish Government) the Home Office Guidance clearly states that separate guidance on medical rules is being issued for Scotland.

As far as I'm aware, the Scotland specific Medical rules have not yet been published (and it's now August 2017)

In fact I have an FOI request with police Scotland at the moment asking if these Scotland specific rules have been published, and if not, are they using the Home Office guidance as it applies to England and Wales (we know that they don't), and if they don't follow the HO Guidance what rules are they following.

Cheers

Bruce

pheonix.

Without wishing to be cynical they are following their own rules. At least until someone challenges them.

Spiker.

You're absolutely correct.

My FOI request is to try to get that fact exposed!

Cheers

Bruce

Sectoon 2 "components" aren't controlled - hence shotgun moderators aren't a controlled part, S1 moderators are controlled.

When did they get full firearms powers?

I know they've got devolved control over airgun legislation....hence the new improved it'll save the weens AirWEAPON law.

They don't have 'full' powers with regards to Firearms Law, they do have powers relating to Air-weapons Licensing, however, the Scottish Government is convinced that the current (Westminster managed) Firearms Laws are "not fit for purpose" and "need to be comprehensively reviewed." All of which is putting political pressure on the Police Scotland FELD which has "allowed" them to make up their own additional rules (for example; the doctors fee debaucle) and to adopt a "tougher" stance on the issuance and renewal of certificates.

Archived