What can I legally bring back from the states?

Adamdavi3s

Yes to both options, if you want any Lee stuff check out Titan Reloading, in the same town as Lee.

They're a Master Distributor and their prices are cheaper than those on the Lee website, I have about $250 worth of kit sitting in my basket ready to ship and collect in November when we go over.

They do ship to the UK but the shipping prices almost doubled about a year ago.

Thanks for the info I have friends over there so I'm thinking of shipping to them and asking them to forward them on as a present!

If you can do that keep a look out on MidwayUSA as they often have some good bargains, I picked up an RCBS RockChucker for $99, that with some accessories for it (case ejection system and bench mount) from Online Fabrication and a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler almost filled one suitcase!.

It is always better to ask than fall foul of smuggling of firearms and their associated components,

Here is a person who has been helpful in the past should you wish to communicate:

Stephen M. Geis DDTC Response Team <DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov>
DDTC Response Team
Contractor, XL

NOTE: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control's licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team's services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.

This 'what can I bring in' is a recurring question but basically 'you' cannot apply for the export permit, it has to be thru' a registered exporter' who has paid a chunk of money to become so and have access to the online process, they will charge a fee to process the application ($250-450 dependant on the company) and sometimes a % of the invoice value for the kit you want to export. Previously the application process was manual but a few years back the US gov decided to make it self funding and back dated the charges - which left a few companies in the red. also FYI hand carrying a controlled item i.e. one listed on the export permit, on a passenger plane yourself is also not part of the process or allowed

Not sure where some of the rumours e.g. 'cannot have a scope of 'X' power etc'. came from but they do not sound correct in my experience, it is not related to the scopes magnification but more to its potential use, think the term 'dual use' applies?

You will see a slew of comments on the interweb like' well I've always carried 'X' or 'Y' back from the US' but think of it this way, its like speeding in your car, you can 'get away' with doing 80 until you are caught - your call and choice. But there are significant fines associated with this should you choose to do so and the risk of being a persona no grata in the US, again up to you, does your job depend on being able to access the US?? I would not recommend personally taking the risk.

Plain Jane kit like dies, bipods are no issue (unless the dies are for an automated reloading system that is) as are small items but the less than $100 rule went out a long time ago, it is related to the item itself.

Bit of a mine field and the US suppliers apply a blanket 'cannot supply, ITAR controlled' to remove any risk to themselves - as it is a Federal offence i.e fort Leavenworth, no remission :(

If you want anything special then find a good company at the US & UK end - but the exchange rate + fees + import duty does not lend itself to many 'legal' bargains these days I'm afraid

Brgds Terry

Thanks for the info I have friends over there so I'm thinking of shipping to them and asking them to forward them on as a present!

If you do that, and the items are confiscated under ITAR....your friends will get a free orange jumpsuit.

Dont do it.

Archived