.22 WMR expieriences.

A mate of mine is considering a .22wmr semi auto for general plinking, possibly a bit of light varmint. Has anyone got any experience of said calibre? Accuracy? Reliabillity? Etc etc?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Triumph045.

Hechler and Koch-all steel German engineering,ultra reliable,5 and 15 shot mags,as accurate as most 22WRMs (about one moa),maybe 125+ yards useable range-useful and enjoyable rf niche rifle-short and light,on/off one piece scope mount kept zero.

Not many around?

rimmie-agreed,choice is better now-back in the day it was very limited avaiability-mainly only Winchester (and their 22rf was mediocre too.RWS helped years later...and it may just be better now-but it's like 22rf-just not likely to give as good accuracy at distance as a good cf. More range/fun than 22rf in semi auto.

I sold an Anschutz bolt 1517 for just that reason....I was a little less critical of the semi auto H&K for other virtues-50 yards more than 22rf and fast follow up shot-15 not needed!

Lots of Hornets (old 22) then were no great shakes either-poor bullets etc-so 75-125+ y niche wasn't well served-semi 22mag was indeed fun which the bolts could not offer.Still true,of course...it's a semi with more pop than 22rf,noticeably. :-)

gbal

I had a .22WMR bolt action Sako Quad and one drawback was the cost of ammunition. From memory circa £12.50 for 50 rounds, whereas CCI Mini-mag is about £10 for 100 rounds.

I wouldn't like to fund a .22WMR semi-auto for plinking, I like .22LR for plinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough I have been thinking the same thing, fancy a .22 mag semi for vermin work. The only thing that puts me off a bit is conflicting reports on accuracy.

With 22WMR you find what shoots and stick with it. I have an Anschutz that gives mediocre accuracy with any ammo but Remington Premier 33 Grain Ballistic tip. My CZ 452 is about the most forgiving, giving MOA with about everything lighter than 50 grains. When it is fed the ammo it likes, I get considerably smaller groups than MOA. Another fault of 22WMR owners is this fetish for cleaning the rifle. In my experience, 22WMR's don't like to be cleaned all the time. I have eight 22WMR's and rate them very highly. The CZ/Brno 611 is my favorite autoloader. The KelTec CMR 30 is another but might be difficult to get on your side of the pond. ~Andrewcmr30-left.png

• 3 weeks later...

I had one for a few years. It worked well and ammo seemed widely available here, even match/target stuff. CZ or Remington were the most common makes of rifle. Ruger even made the 10/22 in .22WMR for a while.

Hechler and Koch-all steel German engineering,ultra reliable,5 and 15 shot mags,as accurate as most 22WRMs (about one moa),maybe 125+ yards useable range-useful and enjoyable rf niche rifle-short and light,on/off one piece scope mount kept zero.
Not many around?

The HK 300 is a fantastic rifle, probably the best factory .22WMR sporter. Spares and magazines are difficult to source as they've been out of production for a long time. There are quite a few in the UK, although it's difficult to find one in original, unmodified condition. Always check the buffer is intact - many are worn out by this point.

Thankfully new buffers are one of the few parts available: http://www.critrcall.com/h-k-buffer-plates.html

Archived