6.5x55

Hi I just purchased a sako 75 in 6.5x55 with a 30" Walter barrel in a Macmillan A5 stock 1-8 twist will it be a decent contender at 1000 yards I plan to run 140 Berger hybrid in it it will also double as a sporting rifle being mag fed for 600 yards

204,you have the basis for a fine sporting rifle,and 600y is quite feasible for informalcompetition fun.

!000y is a more demanding proposition.

An Fopen class type rifle in 6.5x55 Ackley Improved can be/was reasonably competitive once,but not consistently against the current front runners (hot 7s and short mags in similar rigs-just does not have the puff,though not far off,and shootable.).

Have a look at the results from say,Diggle 1000y Bench Rest shoots-Factory class will indicate where such rifles lag behind...most are somewhat 'better' than sporters,too-really,just not custom jobs.

Of course shooters may enjoy the experience,but they won't be at all 'competitive'except agin other similar rifles........think,for the best , some 10-15 inch groups on a good day (top open class rigs will be half that consistently). Some factory rifles-especially the lighter sporters do tend to suffer even more in wind-20" is not unusual,though to be fair,these may be relatively inexperienced wind readers/1000y shooters.Still enjoyable,maybe-there are holes on paper,just not too close.

Obviously shooter etc is part of the equation,and enjoyment is down to what compromises the shooter can accept...it's a stalking rifle,not a 1000y rig-the 6.5x55 is a fine cartridge-just enjoy what it can do-which is not compete with the serious 1000y rigs/cartridges.

Try it-only you can decide on 'decent'-but a contender.....nope,in a standard sporter.

It's a hobby-try it and see!

gbal

Fair point,Boydy47,a longer barrel will give some more MV-just as it does with 308,to make it ballistically less marginal.

But my commet was clearly located in suggesting a look at Diggle results for 'factory sporter' class in the 6.5x55 cartridge.

These will generally not be very long barrel-the factory market in this cartridge is the sporting rifle one.

And factory rifles are not competitive with less restricted rifles-hardy surprisingly.

I am well aware that the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved,in a longer barrel,was a choice say ten years ago-and I like mine very much-in a BAT custom-but at 2970fps at 62F with 140g bullets,it simply can't compete equally with the same rifle/shooter with it's Shehane 284 barrel switch-180g @2925 and up. But it is 'decent'-just not competitive with the Shehane,let alone the current hot 7s etc....

I have a 6.5x54 too- a very nice (6.3 lb) M/S carry deer carbine,but NOT a contemporary ivory rifle)-and it would be a sad misjudgement to let it loose/lose at long distances (though given some privacy,I might be tempted to demonstrate just that on paper.)

The OP did say it will double as a sporting rifle...though I would absolutely agree the barrel length compromises that application-in the otherwise eminently suitable Sako 75 chasis...a Sako 75 in 6.5 X55 is a fine deer stalking rifle-though I don't see why 'mag fed' is very relevant at the unrealistic 600y quoted...that's about eight feet of drop,and three feet of drift with sporting ammo-hand loading and long barrel might trim that,but even so....it should have no trouble with moa gongs and suchlike informal fun,though.

Compromises -as are almost all dual purpose rigs in this class/configuration....as I said,enjoyable yes,if you can compromise-decently competitive at long range-that's another matter-though ''decent' allows some wiggle room! :-)

Good,realistic shooting

gbal

Hi I ran the 6.5x55 in f-class at 800 and 900 at the weekend with 140 hornady ELD running at 2945 fps at 800 it shot very good lost points on left and right of the vbull none to elevation 4s and 5s

At 900 it was tricky wind caught me but again the rifle shot flat but lost a lot more to wind call or lack of it tbh

So now I'm going to cut it back to 26 or 24 inch and use it for max distance 600 yards but will try some different types of heads I know I will lose around 30 fps per inch cut so a bit more home work to do once cut back

204- no surprises,but it can be enjoyable-not competitive.

saddler-always helps consistency,but won't transform-gives more uniform but still secondary performance-compared to the better cartridges-suitable uniformed! t can be good-very good-but 'best'.....not in outright perfprmance terms.Love mine in AI-but have to respect Shehane more. :-)

gbal

Archived