Straight .284 v 7/300 WSM

Big Al

Guys,

I would be interested in your thoughts about these two calibers and I have a few questions.

How much real world speed advantage have you seen between them? barrel life is not an issue here.

Is there any evidence to suggest one case is more accurate than the other?

Bullets are likely to be Berger 180 Hybrids

I appreciate the 7/300 has a shorter barrel life and the case prep is greater but in this instance that isn't an issue as its for a competition benchrest heavy gun where ultimate performance outweighs everything else. I was also thinking about 7 SAUM but again is there really any hard evidence to suggest it has the edge over the other two in terms of accuracy?

I read things like the .284 will be easier to shoot but this project its for a 50lb benchrest heavy gun so the recoil difference probably wont come into it, shooting them well seems to have far more to do with set up than recoil management in the normal sense.

The 7mmWSM will give you about 200 fps over the 284. The SAUM is just a less-potent WSM.

If you use the 270WSM brass as a starter (rather than 300WSM) very little case forming is needed - similar to necking up the 6.5-284 for a 284.

Having said that, the Norma 'straight' 284 brass is now available from March Scopes UK and, witnessing testing at 800 yds yesterday, I can confirm that it shoots superbly straight out of the box.

With a braked 50lb gun, you won't notice the difference between a 7WSM and a 284.

The 7mmWSM will give you about 200 fps over the 284. The SAUM is just a less-potent WSM.

Or a more efficient case than the WSM.

If I were shooting 100 yard bench rest ( I know you're not ) then I would take the 284 all day every day, it's easier to get to shoot and will stay in tune a lot longer and I would wager more accurate. If I were shooting 1000 yards and the wind mattered then the 270/7WSM will on most occasions trounce the .284. They can be an absolute pig to get to shoot, I've had my fair share that didn't or when they did it didn't last long, but once you do get them to shoot there's no looking back.

I thought the 300 WSM was still the darling of long range bench rest?

No, the 300WSM is not too popular in 1000 yd BR on either side of the pond. It takes a lot to beat the 7WSM but, on a good day, a 6BR or Dasher or one or two other 'sixes' will give it a run.

I honestly don't think the SAUM is significantly more efficient that the WSM - it uses a bit less powder but drives the 180gn Berger a bit slower.

200fps is quite a bit Vince when you look at the wind drift so it makes a 7 WSM very appealing if your wanting to shoot 180 Bergers, Im not convinced that the bigger cases above 7mm really have the accuracy?

My Dasher seems to do OK as things stand but Im starting to feel like the Big Dog's mass and tracking isn't being fully exploited on such a low recoiling round and that it might show its full potential with something bigger?

My Dasher seems to do OK as things stand but Im starting to feel like the Big Dog's mass and tracking isn't being fully exploited on such a low recoiling round and that it might show its full potential with something bigger?

Hey, you have got the BR bug real bad Al. :) (See you on Sunday.)

Hey, you have got the BR bug real bad Al. :) (See you on Sunday.)

Lets just say it appeals to my competitive side :D

Having never shot competitively at anything let alone 1000 yards away prior to this April its certainly been fun Laurie, I like the social aspect as well as the competition. I guess my attitude is to try and be competitive if possible hence exploring the 7mms. I will be picking your brains again on Sunday :)

200fps is quite a bit Vince when you look at the wind drift so it makes a 7 WSM very appealing if your wanting to shoot 180 Bergers, Im not convinced that the bigger cases above 7mm really have the accuracy?

Absolutely - the 7WSM is a great round and although hard on barrels, you'll get two years out of it.

But, have a look at www.nbrsa.org - they have a magazine called Precision Rifleman that you can read on-line and it gives the results of a lot of the US 1000 yd BR shoots together with equipment lists so you can get an idea of what's hot and what's not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Al. Just removed the 6BR barrel from the 'big shiny thing' and put on the .284 Benchmark barrel for the next 1000yds. I have some old .284 ammo using the 180gr Berger hybrid to use up so will be interesting to see how it shoots and how it tracks with the 'extra' recoil.

Hi Al. Just removed the 6BR barrel from the 'big shiny thing' and put on the .284 Benchmark barrel for the next 1000yds. I have some old .284 ammo using the 180gr Berger hybrid to use up so will be interesting to see how it shoots and how it tracks with the 'extra' recoil.

Now your getting serious Les! ;)

Are you going to develop a new load though?

I would expect the harmonics to be quite different for that barrel when its held in a barrel block compared to a stock, you are effectively shortening the barrel quite a bit in harmonic terms. Im sure the recoil will still be minimal :)

Now your getting serious Les! ;)

Are you going to develop a new load though?

I would expect the harmonics to be quite different for that barrel when its held in a barrel block compared to a stock, you are effectively shortening the barrel quite a bit in harmonic terms. Im sure the recoil will still be minimal :)

You leave my harmonics out of this, what harm have they ever done to you!

Me, serious! Nah, just coming along for the craic and banter and a bit of banging away as my days of being mean, keen, competitive and having hair are well and truly over.

But I didn't think of the harmonic issue Al, but I do not have any range days to do any testing between now and the comp, so will just wing it and see what happens.

Am sure that the recoil will be neglible and I might just give you all a surprise. Or maybe not!

See you there (unless it is p*ss*ng down and very windy)

Archived