A couple of cannons from last week.

Here,s a couple from last week/this week.

First up in a Defiance Deviant magnum long action, chambered in .338 Lapua magnum. CIP spec chamber, and magazine to suit the longer 300 grain bullets.

Barrel is a Sassen at 30" long. Threaded m18 x 1 and it wears a 3 port brake and also an ASE SL7 moderator. Invisible capped.

Ue9poyM.jpg

IW8uQGR.jpg

HT3flZ9.jpg

oW5mqVs.jpg

Paint is Cerakote McMillan tan, which is about the nearest shade to the one AI use on their stocks.

cOi6E5f.jpg

qM3wZc2.jpg

Trigger is a Jewel unit.

LiPmH6I.jpg

Stock is an AI AX long action in Tan.

The Deviants are lovely actions, and this model has the larger .750 dia bolt to cope with the .338 cartridge.

Second up is a stalking rifle.

This is based on a Borden long action, the Timberline.

Onto this is fitted a Sassen fluted sporter blank, and chambered in .284 win. The blank is 24" long.

iFyfCzG.jpg

Threaded M14 x 1 and invisible capped.

Metalwork is done in Cerakote graphite black, to match the black bits in the stock.

PvIloSK.jpg

QsH9Bsn.jpg

The stock is a McMillan Game Scout , and these are rapidly becoming a big seller in my shop. A shorter stock essentially, but with the A5 grip, which most folk seem to love.

WKZZGLv.jpg

The bottom metal is a CDI precision unit, which was inlet, and then bedded in. Once cured, the action was bedded onto the top. This gives a seamless bedding job, which runs all the way through the stock. I've found this always gives excellent results, as there is no stress, and the action is married to the bottom metal, with no chance of anything ever moving, due to atmospherics etc.

vjWEa7H.jpg

iFyfCzG.jpg

The rifle weighs a tad over 8 lbs unscoped. A good weight for a stalking rifle, but with a bit of weight to cope with the .284's recoil. It should be a sweetie with a moderator onboard.

Sorry folks.

It appears photo bucket have now changed their policy, and to be able to host on a 3rd party site, it will need an account upgrade and a yearly charge of $399 !

They can shove that up their hoop.

Anyone got a cunning plan ?

Looking back through old posts, it looks like all the pics I've posted via photo bucket have now gone.

They are still in my account, but cannot be hosted third party without paying the $399 blackmail fee.

Thats disgusting and has ruined years of posts on here and elsewhere.

I hope their b ollocks fester.

It will bankrupt them.

The picture uploader option we have here isn't too bad although it could be improved for very little investment and to be honest it should be.

Small quantities of images are easy enough to be uploaded here direct from your desktop albeit slowly, one at a time, so long as you resize them first for internet use otherwise you hit you max allowance quickly.

I would like to see admin upgrade the picture uploading feature here to be able to both automatically resize and also to allow a bulk uploading option. These features are quite normal for forums these days, cost very little to set up and maintain and would make the sharing of images very easy and not reliant on third parties like Photobucket. This decision by Photobucket will cost forums that have been slow to do this very dearly going forward, lots of blank gaps where pictures used to be will be frustrating for users, advertisers and forum owners alike.

Forums need to be proactive in making their platforms easy to use and easy to share via otherwise they will lose a lot of picture content, something they rely heavily on. Considering we both currently pay for the option to be able to share images and actively do so as part of our marketing strategy it should be better than it currently is.

I've never used it Al, as photo bucket was so easy, for the reasons you mention.

How about it Matt ?

I've just opened an Imgur account, so will also see how that goes.

Ultimately, it has to be easy, otherwise folk won't bother.

Whats really upset me, is the years worth of photo posts, gone. I simply don't have the time to upload them all onto another site, and then go through each old post, re inserting the pics.

A year ago now I sold a very large forum that I had owned/managed for 12yrs so I have some experience in this filed, Matt knows this and I would be happy to share my experiences with him if needed.

I stopped using Photobucket about 3yrs ago as I got wind of what was going to happen back then, it was then that I upgraded my own forum software to allow automatic resizing and bulk uploading. Looking at that site now it is full of holes that Photobucket has left but the last 3yrs worth of material is there unscathed.

IP Boards most likely have will its own owners forum where owners/admins can get the information needed to make such upgrades so it should be easily accessable albeit it will come at a relatively small cost. It would also be beneficial if one of the many mods or admin made a step by step post or video showing users how to use the existing and hopefully soon to be upgrades in house system.

The more we can do for ourselves here the better and safer it will be.

I upload to Facebook and use a link from there

That works, but you don't always have control of pic size

I'm in the process of downloading mine before I rehost them somewhere else

You have to realise that some of us post on other sites too

There isn't a one size fits all solution here Mark. Any single hosting source that you might use to share pics on multiple forums may well do what Photobucket has done in the future and look to charge you, you will always be at the mercy of a third party host this way.

Loading directly to a forum server is the safest way to guarantee the picture stays there as the forum owner has a vested interest in this happening as much as you.

There isn't a one size fits all solution here Mark. Any single hosting source that you might use to share pics on multiple forums may well do what Photobucket has done in the future and look to charge you, you will always be at the mercy of a third party host this way.

Loading directly to a forum server is the safest way to guarantee the picture stays there as the forum owner has a vested interest in this happening as much as you.

Exactly, load direct to the forum........if you can work out how .

Original post now has pics courtesy of Imgur. Think i,ll auto resize the next lot though....these are too big.

Photobucket....kiss my rusty bullet hole.

Very nice rifles there Dave lovely work. I'm very much liking the 284 & like the stock with A5 pistol grip & really like my Borden alpine action that I have. I've picked up a T3 stainless action & always had a thing for 284 so this will be what I rebarrel the T3 into. It defeats the caliber but I'm looking to make it my deer rifle for open hill hinds odd stags with a bit of blinking to have fun on gongs.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking back through old posts, it looks like all the pics I've posted via photo bucket have now gone.

They are still in my account, but cannot be hosted third party without paying the $399 blackmail fee.

Thats disgusting and has ruined years of posts on here and elsewhere.

I hope their b ollocks fester.

It will bankrupt them.

It appears if you right click on the photobucket message and choose show image on new tab it will show OK (sometimes have to do it twice once more on the actual photobucket page, but I have always been able to actually see the pics "eventually". I agree it is a pain in the ass but does mean you can see the pics albeit with a little effort.

Jim

Nice rifles, what's the round about cost of such a stalking rifle, with suppressor ?

Cheers Nick

• 1 month later...

This looks real mean. Can you please share the weight of this rifle, and the barrel profile?

Here,s a couple from last week/this week.

First up in a Defiance Deviant magnum long action, chambered in .338 Lapua magnum. CIP spec chamber, and magazine to suit the longer 300 grain bullets.

Barrel is a Sassen at 30" long. Threaded m18 x 1 and it wears a 3 port brake and also an ASE SL7 moderator. Invisible capped.

Trigger is a Jewel unit.

LiPmH6I.jpg

Stock is an AI AX long action in Tan.

The Deviants are lovely actions, and this model has the larger .750 dia bolt to cope with the .338 cartridge.

Archived