china atlas bipods

Has anyone got/ used one? I know you get what you pay for but for £50?

Or are you better of with a Harris?

Thanks

A local shop sold them but pulled the line when they took up selling real Atlas. (Atlas would pull their distributorship if a Chinese copy was found in the store) One fellow has one that has held up after several uses. Another had his fall apart on the first outing. Flip a coin. I have several genuine Atlas. They are a good solid item worthy the money.~Andrew

I read a write up on here or SD about a guy who took the plunge, likewise I found another on a US forum where a Guy at Atlas, said that his were made out in China & part of the deal, was that they could make copies for Airsoft use ( how true this was, I don't know .. Other than what was said )

I took chance a couple of years ago & purchased one, it worked well & still does, but doesn't cant that well ..., so much so, I purchased another ( the older model ) & it's much better than the 1st one ... Works very well & it's fairly well made, I say fairly, as some of the parts are stamped out & they do have course edges from the process.

Yeah, it's not going to have the finish & refinery of the ' real' thing & there will be loads who say don't buy one, but it's cheap as chips, so keep your expectations in reality and you won't go far wrong if you decide to take a punt.... I bet you've lost more in a nights drinking or wasted on other things.

I have one on my 17 Hornet & it serves it's purpose, but I do know it's not a ' real' Atlas.

I have two genuine Atlas and one Chinese copy (branded as Aukmont).

The copy is made from decent materials and is machined quite well. The problem with it and the reason I bought the second genuine Atlas and consigned the copy to a drawer somewhere is that it's impossible to tighten the lock enough to stop it from rotating. It seems to be the area that was too difficult/expensive for the Chinese to copy properly and it becomes irritating.

The Atlas is a good design that's in many ways better than a Harris style bipod and although £200-£300 depending on model is a lot, it's worth it.

that it's impossible to tighten the lock enough to stop it from rotating. It seems to be the area that was too difficult/expensive for the Chinese to copy properly and it becomes irritating.

My 1st copy was like that ...

But the 2nd one, the older style, is absolutely fine and functions as it should

I have a copy one on my 22 and its fine ive used it on my 308 and its fine but like all chinese products they are graded from the factories (we used to sell there scooters ) In the case of scooters Grade ones are very likely to be made for dealers to put their name on like puegot yamaha etc not available retail 2 and 3 grade were fine but 4 5 6 needed re assembly and some fine fettling so once the importers realised they could make more profit from lesser grades 4 5 6 became the norm .....

I had one and once I did some fettling it was perfect. Did a mod so it panned and tilted stripped it lubed the hinge areas and put it all back together with JB Weld it worked flawlessly and for £30 was a bargin

Had the same problem with twisting so bad that it ended up completely sideways after 3 shots.

Mixed results from on the most part. They have a bit more play in the locking positions for the legs as well.

If it was me doing it all over again I would go the route I have now and got a phoniex bipod. Can't fault it at all.

Ye I know but all I'm saying is that after waisting money on too many cheep bipods I should have just paid once and cried once.

Might be a better long term option than keep buying the cheep stuff. Also prefer the phoniex to the genuine atlas. Much more stable, and with the option to mount the rifle under the bipod as well.

I have spent a lot of time reading about various bipod and out of all the Phoenix is winning by far, it's not the money it's how it will look/fit/work for my needs. For the Phoenix I would have to install an adapter to my stock and that's the bit that's putting me off to be honest.

Ye there are various mounting options, have both on my AICS stock. Spigot to mount like normal and a badger ordenence IMUNS mount so I can attach the rifle bellow the bipod.

If you have a conventional stock you would need an NV mount of some sort bedded into your stock.

Any way what ever you get needs to work for you and its all personal preference at the end of the day.

If you want a Chinese copy that's been modded to give some cant, PM me..........

Pete

• 2 months later...

I have a genuine Atlas and although expensive it is very good ,If you compare a copy side by side the difference is obvious,the copy is a good bit of kit and a good price but it's like putting remould tyres on a sports car .exspensive gun really expensive glass and a £50 bipod .

I have spent a lot of time reading about various bipod and out of all the Phoenix is winning by far, it's not the money it's how it will look/fit/work for my needs. For the Phoenix I would have to install an adapter to my stock and that's the bit that's putting me off to be honest.

What rifle ?

I recently bought a knock off Atlas from eBay with extra spikes and QD picatinny attachment for £37 inc delivery from China.

It is surprisingly well made but needed fettling to make it work better. From the box the friction didn't tighten very well, and desired cant would disappear when tightening. However, the addition of two washers has fixed that completely.

Personally I will never be interested in £300 bipods, but something potentially better than a Harris for a third the price does grab my attention.

I have yet to use the clone in the field but will report back how it works out. It's cheap enough that I won't mind chucking it if it is junk.

I got around this by grinding 1mm off the rim of the plastic cup and adjusting the no of spring washers when re-assembling.

The tension when panning or canting can now be adjusted to taste using the wheel.

It's been on a 308 and 6.5 and has been fine. I've had it side by side with a kosher Atlas, and you can see the difference, just, but in use, it's as good as.

RePete

• 1 month later...

I've just bought an Accumont to try with my Tac A1:

s-l1600.jpg

Even if it needs a lot of modding, for an outlay of £40 that is 260 good reasons to have a go with it instead of shelling out £300 on an Atlas.

For serous LR work, I wouldn't use any of the Harris-type bipods or an Atlas. I'd favour something like either the Pheonix or one of the Dolphin bipods (from £175).

I have a box of cheap and not-so cheap Harris-type bipods and dislike the things. Whilst lightweight and fine for the field they're just not solid enough for serious LR work, too fiddly and bounce too much in spite of attempts to load them.

Copy of Atlas - why would you bother...

I wouldnt buy a copy of a decent watch, I wont use a copy or "reverse" engineered item

Don't know about the Atlas clones but I received my Accumont as above and was pleased to find that it was really pretty good...much better than expected plus it isn't too loose and wobbly on the cant. It can be tightened sufficiently. I just added a little oil to the leg mechs and mounted it to the rifle and it works great. Rock steady, and dare I say quite a bit better than quite an expensive Harris that I have? The leg extension mech is pretty well though out with no need to press anything in to lengthen the legs, just pull until the desired length clicks positively into place and let go. For the money, it's pretty darned good. At twice the price it would still be pretty darned good!

Archived