Gunsmith who know winchesters

Miseryguts

Hi, not sure if this is the correct category to post this, but I have a Winchester 94AE in 38/357Mag which basically fell apart at the range on Friday. Cartridges would not feed, and when I finally got them out, the locking bolt fell out, followed by a cartridge guide, followed by a piece that is not shown on any of the on line exploded drawings of this rifle. So, I am stuck.

Anyone know of a Gunsmith in this country(GB) who is familiar with these rifles??

Thanks in advance

M

Yes, fairly basic bit of machinery. Lifter and ejector are certainly the weak links in the 94AE, the .357 especially seems to suffer with the ejector.

I think the problem you will have is not fixing it but finding the parts - I managed to locate a couple of ejectors from Canada a while ago.

Dave from "The shooting shed" is, I believe, making a short run of the lifters but not aware of anyone making the ejectors.

post-15030-0-63984500-1498388458_thumb.jpgpost-15030-0-20182300-1498388482_thumb.jpg

Download the parts/tuning schematic.

The 94 action isn't complicated. Used to srrip mine every once in a while; there's a knack to some of it.
Post a photo of the extra part...as something may have broken. The carrier is a known issue for cracking/breaking.

OK thanks, here is a picture of the parts, have done 2 to show the curvature on the part I cannot identify. Nothing seems to have broken off, but obviously there is a cartridge guide screw missing for the guide to fall off! Also the link pin seems to be missing..

Any chance of a link to the schematic you mention?

OO! You've got the locking bolt and a bolt guide there but don't recognise the bent bit. Without taking mine apart, the only thing that springs to mind is the end of the hammer coil spring guide, although I think the one on my rifle is a pressed/stamped part, that looks more solid. Another part with a slot is carrier but it's not bent and would only look like that if it was broken off.

Here's a good place for parts:

http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopcart/0/Winchester_94_POST_64.htm

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

OO! You've got the locking bolt and a bolt guide there but don't recognise the bent bit. Without taking mine apart, the only thing that springs to mind is the end of the hammer coil spring guide, although I think the one on my rifle is a pressed/stamped part, that looks more solid. Another part with a slot is carrier but it's not bent and would only look like that if it was broken off.

Here's a good place for parts:

http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopcart/0/Winchester_94_POST_64.htm

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Hi 1066, got the rifle in lots of bits now, as someone said, fairly straight forward, tho' the reverse may be a little more difficult! As far as I can see, the only thing that is missing is the screw holding the guide on. What the other bit is I have no idea, and as I said, it is not shown on any of the schematics. Big mystery!

Am going to cobble a screw up (its probably 4-40)and re-assemble(hopefully) and see what happens

Watch this space

M

Hi, found it at last! The mystery part is an additional safety feature added after s/n 6,000,000, and fits on the front of the trigger assembley item no 80 on the attached photo of a schematic for the latest 94AE. Quite why losing a guide fixing screw should make all these parts fall out is a mystery to be solved.

Wish me luck putting this lot back together!

M

post-15030-0-45924100-1498409020_thumb.jpg

Archived