I've just zeroed my IOR Recon at 100yds I then wound up the elevation to see what was left, which turned out to be not to much.

The question I have is if I get smaller mounts that will bring the scope closer to the barrel will this result in more elevation once re zeroed?

Any Help would be appreciated

Chris

I've just zeroed my IOR Recon at 100yds I then wound up the elevation to see what was left, which turned out to be not to much.

The question I have is if I get smaller mounts that will bring the scope closer to the barrel will this result in more elevation once re zeroed?

Chris

Something is wrong with your setup then - the Recon has 35 mils of elevation travel (roughly 125 MOA) so if you do not have much left you have something wrong!

Rail on backwards (inclined rail) mounts on backwards(inclined mounts!) you should have at the very least half the elevation travel left on a flat rail

Chris

Chris moving the scope closer to the barrel will not help with the issue you are having.

Hi, had similar problem once, if mounts/rail ok, then shim either the rail or front mount - it doesn't take much, I used a slip of paper under the scope in the front ring. Not elegant, but it worked for several years till I sold the rifle

M

Chris

Chris

As already confirmed, No is the answer to your question. I suggest you get a set of the following mounts -

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings and borrow a scope aligner.

or even http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/37642-for-sale-selection-of-burris-30mm-scope-rings/

Regards

JCS

I assume that this is on a picatinny rail? Has the rail got an incline? It is on the right way (i.e.the higher end towards the back) Does the mount have an incline is it the right way around?

If you are using a flat base you may need to invest in mount with an incline built in like spuhr to gain the extra elevation required.

Definitely something amiss there, even if you had a flat mount, you should still have enough left to get you out to way past 1000yds

Hi, had similar problem once, if mounts/rail ok, then shim either the rail or front mount - it doesn't take much, I used a slip of paper under the scope in the front ring. Not elegant, but it worked for several years till I sold the rifle

M

If running out of elevation you want to shim the rear not the front.

I have a recon on my AI and it has a huge amount of vertical adjustment as pointed out

so regardless of rail you should not have this problem*

if you need more than is standard then a 10 or 20 moa rail will help ( *as also stated - this works against you if it is installed the wrong way round !!) - this gives you an offset angle to help not a closer position to the bore axis which, by geometry, makes no difference. Based on what you say - this is not the issue though unless again *your rail is back to front.

If you are paying £1800 for a recon I would respectfully suggest you do not muck about with Shims - you should not need to

I have shimmed my 22 and air rifle but would not do it with a top quality scope - if it is a recent optics wharehouse purchase then you have Tier One rings and shimming such a fine British made piece of shooting engineering is borderline sacrilege. If not invest in some quality one piece mounts with 20 moa built in.

I suspect the answer here is to dismantle and start again slowly

Thankyou all for the info at the current stage I'm looking a thing purchasing at rail with 20MOA added in, the rail I have now is flat 0MOA I'll try and upload some photo to show.

Thankyou all for the info at the current stage I'm looking a thing purchasing at rail with 20MOA added in, the rail I have now is flat 0MOA I'll try and upload some photo to show.

Before spending any money, try swapping the mounts round, ie put the front mount to the rear and the rear mount to the front.

If you do decide to spend some money, rings with offset inserts will allow you to make vertical and windage adjustments to your scope.

Regards JCS

Probably important to note that the Recon has a 40mm tube so the choice of rings is small - I went with a tier one - one piece mount - with zero moa given my AI had 20 moa already built in

I may be missing something but I can't help feel that given:

1, There are few rings available for the 40mm tube BUT they are all good quality

2, The Recon has, as M99 has pointed out, loads of travel

There is something missing here - is the rail the wrong way round? are the rings properly adjusted?

The good news is that when you have it sorted you have a cracking scope and I say that as a Nightforce NXS, Swaro Z5 and March tactical owner

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Archived