New sniper world record - 3,450 metres

Cumbrian 1

It's mote a matter of shooters doing what shooters do, i.e. let's have a crack.....followed by f**k me, I've hit him :lol:

Exactly. My comments weren't trying to belittle his achievement, or his service.

I do have to wonder though, how often would they bother their arse trying to take pot shots at bad guys 2 miles away.

Bloomin eck. These chaps weren't doing recreational plinking, they were in combat.

If you can see your pals down the road getting attacked, and you have no air, no aviation, no indirect fire, but you're holding a 50 cal sniper rifle, what would you do? The answer shouldn't be 'just watch'! :)

I would assume, that this was the rifle equivalent of beaten zone: Someone putting a bunch (of rounds) into a bunch (of enemy) to suppress/deter...and one of them was seen (by someone nearer the target area) to take a solid hit.

Wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that the person nearer the target was talking the splash on - I'd need some serious persuading to accept that it's possible to see inert small arms splash from over 2 miles through desert air.

(I notice it's been amended by the globe and mail to 3,540m).

+1 Matt,for these guys-IT'S NOT A HOBBY.

There is a revealing 20 min interview with the previous 'record holder',the UK's Sgt Craig Harrison,by Victoria Derbyshire,broadcast on BBC2 on 21.5.15,and available on iplay. "Sniper".**

Before,during and aftermath seems presented clearly,as seen by Sgt Harrison.MIght counter some less 'authentic'/informed comments-and should be viewed before any comments.

MInd you,when an original report reads 'shot was taken from a high rise" (aka-small knoll/hill) and it later comes across 'from a high tower block' ( In wild Afghan??) you have to wonder about the general nouse of some second/third hand commentaries/chinese whispers.

Sgt Harrison has also written a book about his experiences,with more detail-though I have not read it yet-on order.

gbal

**Tikka4sika has very helpfully added the direct link in the following post...good googlefu,,and many thanks!

Archived