New sniper world record - 3,450 metres

Cumbrian 1

The optic should have been one of these...

<Wiki quote>

In Canadian service, the standard telescopic sight was the McMillan endorsed Leupold Mark 4-16x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope optical sight that has now been replaced by the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PMII telescopic sight. McMillan also endorses the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 Mil-dot telescopic sight for the Tac-50.

Depending on the height of the tower block he supposedly fired from and if the reports of the bullet being an AMax are true then energy would be around 1000ft/lb with subsonic velocity.

Im wondering when that bullet would start tumbling and at what range ?

Strange, but there seems to have been no mention of the British (SAS) sniper that took out an Isis thug from 1.5 miles just last month. I believe he was using a Chey-Tac and took a single shot to down the bad guy. If true, this Canadian record is outstanding. There's no real reason to doubt the authenticity of the reports as they do seem to have been verified.

I can't but help think this is also fake news

I can't help thinking that you may be wrong.

The event had been formally acknowledged by the Canadian military and Department of Defence. It's worth bearing in mind that no-one has claimed this is a cold-bore kill.

I'm informed that the scope used was Nightforce, but I'm not sure which model. Bear in mind the shooter is part of JTF2 (Canada's elite SF unit) and not the Green Army.

I can't help thinking that you may be wrong.

The event had been formally acknowledged by the Canadian military and Department of Defence. It's worth bearing in mind that no-one has claimed this is a cold-bore kill.

I'm informed that the scope used was Nightforce, but I'm not sure which model. Bear in mind the shooter is part of JTF2 (Canada's elite SF unit) and not the Green Army.

I'd still bet they spent a good few CAD hurling lead at the bad guys before they got a connect. I'd eat my hat, your hat, and everyone in this thread's hat if that was a 1 shot wonder.

Suspect it goes something a little like this;

Good guys spot bad guy.

Bad guy very far away.

Good guys consult ballistic calculator.

Calculator runs the numbers, presents them, with a little giggle to itself.

Allow for windage, spin-drift, curvature of the earth, corialis and all that guff.

Max out elevation turret.

Hold over.

Send it.

Wait approximately 10 seconds for impact.

Fark, did you see the splash? No, neither did I.....

Try again.

And again.

And so on.....

Still, some serious bragging rights.

Wonder what sort of angle that bullet was coming in at. Steep I bet.

Hmmmm...I wonder if bragging rights have anything to do with a soldier on a terrorist front line doing his job. That's really what this is about...a capable guy, with a capable rifle, taking a shot (or shots) that have the potential to save lives if, or when it connects. Who cares if it was "walked" in or cold bore? Soldiers don't often think like that. They just want to get the job done, and this guy got the job done by all accounts and hats off to him. However he got the shot, it was a still a hell of a shot. FWIW, I too doubt that it could have been a cold bore shot. I also think that luck has something to do with all such long range shots in as far as it only takes something minor to change and it's shot missed. To even be in the neighbourhood of hitting and taking out a bad guy, one shot or a dozen shots, at over 2 miles is still damned good shooting.

I'd still bet they spent a good few CAD hurling lead at the bad guys before they got a connect. I'd eat my hat, your hat, and everyone in this thread's hat if that was a 1 shot wonder.

Good guys spot bad guy.

Bad guy very far away.

Allow for windage, spin-drift, curvature of the earth, corialis and all that guff.

Hold over.

Send it.

Try again.

And again.

And so on.....

Put it this way Mr Grum - I have a Canadian pal who until recently wore a sand-coloured beret ... ... ... I suspect you're not far from the truth ... ... ... nudge-nudge-wink-wink-know what I mean ... ... ...

Good guys spot bad guy.

Bad guy very far away.

Hold over.

Send it.

Try again.

And again.

And so on.....

I reckon you are right.

Just like many shooters who only ever post pics of their best groups, you never hear the stories of the Elite SAS Delta SEAL Green Beret from Mossads GSG9 Foreign Legion mountain warfare detachment who took a shot from 11456 feet with an organ pulverising cnc machined specialty round........and missed.

They only ever brag about the good ones

I know an ex army soldier who still gets drinks bought for him based on an amazing shot he made that saved lives. He confided in me and a few others that it was in fact a negligent discharge.

I know an ex-RM sniper doing maritime security a few years back, who turned up for his first transit and due to a cock up - no rifles were boarded. He was handed a flare pistol and told to make do.

Sure enough, Somali pirates soon approached. He fired a high arcing flare as a warning. It soared up and then back down landing in the skiff and setting fire to the petrol can. Cue Somali pirates jumping out, some on fire. Of course he said it was an aimed shot to the ships master in the post contact debrief.

The Company was contracted for security of their entire fleet as a result !

I know an ex army soldier who still gets drinks bought for him based on an amazing shot he made that saved lives. He confided in me and a few others that it was in fact a negligent discharge.

Ha! Wonder if I was around that: I still sometimes tell a dit about something I was on in the 90s. Chap in an OP reaching for his rifle dropped a baddie with an ND from the top of a block of flats. Looked like the world's most awesome shot .. unless you knew!

Regarding this "record shot", here are some ballpark figures : 750gr with G7 of 0.37 leaving at 2700 would make for 330 MOA drop with a 200 zero and drift 28 mins in a 10mph wind at 3550yds.

No scope/rail combo allows for that much come-up so they'd have to be aiming way above the target, ie WAG territory. Mr ISIS was -seriously- unlucky I'd say.

Ha! Wonder if I was around that: I still sometimes tell a dit about something I was on in the 90s. Chap in an OP reaching for his rifle dropped a baddie with an ND from the top of a block of flats. Looked like the world's most awesome shot .. unless you knew!

The way he tells it, he was with a squad moving along a street somewhere in Iraq when an insurgent appeared with what turned out to be a mortar tube rigged for hip fire. At that instant, he tripped and accidentally fired as he fell, killing the insurgent before he fired the mortar. The rest of the squad saw him dive to the ground with lightning reactions and save their lives with a perfect headshot.

Bottom line: Achieved required effect.

Exactly. My comments weren't trying to belittle his achievement, or his service.

I do have to wonder though, how often would they bother their arse trying to take pot shots at bad guys 2 miles away.

Exactly. My comments weren't trying to belittle his achievement, or his service.

I do have to wonder though, how often would they bother their arse trying to take pot shots at bad guys 2 miles away.

It's more a matter of shooters doing what shooters do, i.e. let's have a crack.....followed by f**k me, I've hit him :lol:

Archived