Galloway 1000 yard BenchRest shoot – 11th June 2017

mole-e30

Galloway Small Arms Club

Gelston 1000yard BenchRest shoot – 11th June 2017

Thanks to David Leslie for last month’s report, apologies to my avid readers I was unavoidably detained in Lanzarote suffering the elevated temperatures and unremitting sunshine.

So here we are again! Today is it windy – no, very windy – no, bloody windy – no, blowing a gale YES!!! Wet – no, except for detail 3 and yours truly got soaked!!!

Yes it was blowing a hooley, worst I’ve seen for a long time at either Diggle or here at Gelston, it was not so much the strength of the wind but the inconsistency – gusts, lulls, reversals, and all three flags down the range pointing in the same direction then all pointing in entirely different directions at the same time. How the hell do you shoot in these conditions – fast and with hands together in prayer.

Well that’s got the excuses out, sorry explanations, for some horrendous groups - now for the grizzly details.

Firstly welcome to Mally Johnston, Paul Ghorst and Martin Bell, glad you came and joined GSAC, and welcome to Bill Smith who came for a look see “what’s it all about”, hope we have tempted you to start and participate.

So today we have 3 Heavy Guns, 2 Sporters and 10 Light Guns.

Detail One: 3 Light Guns. Sighting-in shows that the wind will be the major issue as expected, but folks get to grip with it reasonably quickly. Relay 1, first honours to Glen Cartwright with just over 17”, Lewis McIlreavy 27” and James Arneil 20” plus the dreaded penalties – 2 off. Relay 2, its Glen again but only just this time with Lewis hard on his heels, James gets further punished to the mid 20’s. Relay 3, Lewis gets the edge here with a 17” group as Glen experiences the mid 20’s and James stretch out in to the 30’s – it is really tough out here. Final relay, Glen is back on song with a very creditable 14.8” followed by Lewis at 18 and then James with his best group at 21”. So it’s Glen with the early lead on an Agg. of 18.8 just ahead of Lewis – but its early days!

Detail Two: 4 Light Guns. Sighting-in is quickly over, but unfortunately Bruce Bell never gets to compete as his load is too hot for the extractor and he never gets past sighting-in. Glen is back in his rightful place as chief spotter – thanks to Davie Rankin for spotting for Detail One. Relay 1, Darrell McIlreay takes the first honours with the best group of the day so far at 14.2” John Gilpin does well at 20” especially considering he’s using a 6BR, Davie Rankin gets bitten by one shot well away from the rest of his group for 32”. Relay 2, John still in the low 20’s Davie gets it together for 14” but is just pipped by Darrell with mid 14’s again. Relay 3, Darrell keeps up the pressure and makes it 12”, Davie and John get well bitten by the conditions and suffer 26 and 32” respectfully. Relay 4, Darrell keeps it there or there about’s with 13.4” Davie and John recover from relay 3 and manage 19 and 22” respectively.

So Darrell has surpassed Glen AGAIN, and has to suffer banter and abuse from “offended” participants, could be that his choice of calibre is just more suited to the conditions – 7WSM seems like a good choice for today. But credit where credit is due Darrell’s got a very consistent set of results.

Change of butts crew now.

Detail Three, mixed bunch now, 2 Light Guns and 2 Heavy Guns, and a mix of calibres too; 2 300WSM’s, a 300WinMag and a 6.5 x47. Oh bugger!!! Just as we are about to start the heavens open, heavy rain and the targets disappear, and we’re getting soaked. A few moments pause to lower the front flaps in an effort to keep a wee bitty drier – only a minor improvement. It abates enough to see the targets but it still “precipitating” heavily. I pull the trigger with trepidation as it’s the first time I’ve tried this new barrel at 1000yards, I breathe a sigh of relief when Glen sees the shot and it’s pretty close to the aiming point. Were all sighted-in quickly in between “showers” and call for the targets to be erected. It’s wet in the firing point but it must be soaking out in the “butts”, couldn’t happen to a nicer set of folks. Relay 1, I manage 8.7” and am “happy”, Mally Johnston at 24” and Martin Bell at 31”, Ross McLean at 8.8 but unfortunately Martin and Ross have 1 and 2 penalties too. Relay 2, Mally and Martin make significant improvements to manage 18” groups, Ross at just under 11” and I am again happy at just under 10”, Ross proving it not all about calibre there is an element of skill needed even in these atrocious conditions. At this point we should recognise Mall and Martin’s efforts, relatively light rifles (although Mally’s is just into Heavy gun), big calibres, sporting barrels and shooting off bipods – well done guys. Relay 3, hallelujah its stopped raining, if only the wind would calm down, Mally and Martin back out to 27 and 30” Ross at 19 and I keep it in the 9’s. Final relay, honours to Ross with 8.8” (best Light Gun group so far today) I stretch out to just under 12” but credit again to Martin and Mally who manage 15 and 16” respectively – again well done guys. So sorry Mr Cartwright you’re knocked back one place again this time by Ross.

Detail Four – final detail: another mixed bag, 2 Sporters, 1 Heavy Gun and 1 Light Gun. Bit of experience here in this detail but even Mr Leslie is finding the sighting-in a bit baffling, down the middle, to the left, then to the right as the wind turns, lulls and gusts – where the hell do you set your scope? Relay 1, Paul Ghorst kicks of nicely using Mally Johnston’s 300 WSM with just under 16”, Geoff McCluskey does not too bad either at 17” and David Sharp manages a respectable 18”, but what’s this David Leslie at 11.8 – but oops 3 penalties as David is blown way off the target. Relay 2, David L. keeps them all on the paper this time for a steady 16”, another 15 from Paul, but Geoff and David S. get well hammered and end up with all 5 shots off the paper. As RO I was watching the wind and there were a couple of very significant shifts during this relay. Relay 3, Geoff, and David S stay on the paper this time but they have largish groups at 27 and 30” respectively, another steady group from Paul and David finally picks the best of the wind to get what will be the Sporter small group and the 3rd smallest group of the day. Now at this point there is mounting hilarity between Mally and Paul over Paul’s masterful performance using Mally’s gun, “if I beat you do I get to keep the gun?” also something about walking home! Paul is reminded that it is simply just not cricket to borrow a gun then beat the owner, just not cricket. Relay 4, final relay of the day and there’s no penalties Paul slips a touch to 24” but he’s probably beaten Mally on agg. Geoff and David S. are 24 and 28” and David L. is out again in the high teens at just under 18”.

All done!

Think it was agreed that we’d all enjoyed ourselves – didn’t we? It was certainly a challenge, I said it in March and I’ll say it again I for one used to think Diggle was tough but this is hard work here. So here’s a challenge to all those who enjoy the “comforts” of Diggle come and participate in the July open you’ll be most welcome and we promise you a day to remember.

Thanks to all those who endured the butt’s especially the inclement post lunch “drizzle”, to the RO’s and spotter Cartwright and his worthy assistant Mr Rankin another great day in South West Scotland, and we never mentioned the election!

Final results:

Factory Sporter:

1st David Leslie – 21.978”

2nd David Sharp – 34.400”

Small Group – David Leslie – 11.456”

Heavy Gun:

1st Tony Lenton – 9.960”

2nd Paul Ghorst – 18.120”

3rd Mally Johnston – 21.624”

Small Group – Tony Lenton – 8.779”

Light Gun:

1st Darrell McIlreavy – 13.573”

2nd Ross McLean – 17.126”

3rd Glen Cartwright – 18.809”

Small Group – Ross McLean – 8.858”

Nearest the Bull

Tony Lenton – 1.456”

2017 League (after 4 shoots)

Light Gun

Darrell McIlreavy 38pts, Dave Rankin 30pts, Glen Cartwright 27pts

Heavy Gun

Les Prior 10pts, Richard Hampton 10pts, Tony Lenton 10pts

Factory Sporter

David Leslie 38pts, David Sharp 36pts, Robert Wilson 16pts

Next Shoots:

Peter Jackson’s – 25th June

Gelston – 16th July working party (and a bit of practice)

Gelston – 23th July – Open day with visitors from Diggle

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ie0cf8eb2sp5p9/Gelston%201000yds%2011th%20June%202017.pdf?dl=0

Thanks once againTony for the great write up. Hopefully we will be blessed with a calm summers day for the July shoot. I think summer last year fell on a Wednesday, so fingers crossed it's a Sunday this year.....

Thanks for the write up Tony. The conditions were certainly "challenging", however everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. Much as I would like to see our visitors from Diggle face the same conditions at the open, I'll settle for decent weather after last year to allow all that attend to have a chance to compete.

May I just add that it's imperative that all GSAC members let Darrel know asap if they intend competing on the 23rd. Slots will fill quickly.

Reminder for Diggle 1000 yd BR shooters - we have an invite to Gelston for the July shoot (Sunday 23rd) - hope to see a decent turn-out. It's a great range and you can be sure of a warm welcome.

I'd also like to have a look at the new range in Scotland which has recently featured on UKV - if someone can give me a postcode!

I'd also like to have a look at the new range in Scotland which has recently featured on UKV - if someone can give me a postcode!

Vince, I know where the original range was planned to be, however I believe (and I'm happy to be brought to task by those that may know better) the range that's been seen on UKV may be at a different location. I'll see if I can contact Marc and let him know your interest.

Atb

David

To all the lads at Gelston, thank you for making mally, Martin and myself welcome, it was my first time at Gelston and first attempt at 1000yds, on the way up mall was explaining about the tennis balls for sighters and I genuinely thought i couldent even see a tennis ball at 1000yds, I got my eyes opend to all sorts including the fancy rests and rifles,also the fact the regulars were getting all 5 shots off in quick succession to beat the wind. Excellent day, made to feel very welcome ,

thank you. Paul

Reminder for Diggle 1000 yd BR shooters - we have an invite to Gelston for the July shoot (Sunday 23rd) - hope to see a decent turn-out. It's a great range and you can be sure of a warm welcome.

I was planning on doing my hair on the 23rd of July, but I could change my mind and join you all for a laugh and a bit of a shoot as well. Hope there is a good turn out and the weather will be kinder than the last one.

That'd be good Les. Can you drag Big Al along?

Why Vince? He will only beat me with his Big Dog! So I will not be inviting him to take away the glory that should be all mine!

I will of course let him know of the venue and date as more the merrier in my view. Will confirm if I can make it.

PS. Have just tried to PM you about the boots but you cannot receive anymore according to the site.

Why Vince? He will only beat me with his Big Dog! So I will not be inviting him to take away the glory that should be all mine!

I will of course let him know of the venue and date as more the merrier in my view. Will confirm if I can make it.

PS. Have just tried to PM you about the boots but you cannot receive anymore according to the site.

Ah t'boots - PM me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com please Les.

Thanks for the write up Tony. The conditions were certainly "challenging", however everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. Much as I would like to see our visitors from Diggle face the same conditions at the open, I'll settle for decent weather after last year to allow all that attend to have a chance to compete.

May I just add that it's imperative that all GSAC members let Darrel know asap if they intend competing on the 23rd. Slots will fill quickly.

Hi David,

I've booked my hotel for the trip up to your shoot on the 23rd July. I thought it was only fair that I come and beat you on your home range..... :P

Really looking forward to seeing how everything works.

If you can message me later, I have a few questions.

See you soon.

Paul

Hi Vince,

I'm going to make the trip up and looking forward to seeing everybody there.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

We usually meet in the car park of the Premier Inn in Castle Douglas on the Sunday morning and Tony Lenton kindly leads us up to the range.

If you're up there Saturday evening, we usually have a bite in the Premier.

Paul,

We usually meet in the car park of the Premier Inn in Castle Douglas on the Sunday morning and Tony Lenton kindly leads us up to the range.

If you're up there Saturday evening, we usually have a bite in the Premier.

So do most of the travelling guys stay at the Premier Inn Vince the night before?

So do most of the travelling guys stay at the Premier Inn Vince the night before?

Alan, the Premier Inn is actually on the outskirts of Dumfries just off the A75. A few of tne travelling bodies do stay there with Tony Lenton leading a convoy to the range (about 23 miles away) on the Sunday morning.

We've stayed there the last couple of years - there's also a Travelodge across the road but there are plenty of other small hotels and B&Bs in the town just down the road.

Archived