Proof Research Carbon fibre barrels

Hi.

Has anybody any experience of these types of barrels? Was looking to fit a 24" one in 308.

Thanks in advance

Hi there I know Mik mack at Dolphin has them in stock,and a nice bloke to deal with

Regards Lee

Mik has them and is the UK importer.

Be prepared, they are not the cheapest barrel.

I was after a carbon wrapped barrel for a Sako 75. I looked at the Proof Research ones but the tenon end was too wide in diameter and carbon can't be turned down on a lathe so neither could the stainless steel.

One of the posts on here lead me to Hardy Rifle Engineering in New Zealand. I emailed and then spoke with Dan Hardy who advised that their Carbon Wrapped barrels, which are part of a series of upgrades for T3s would also fit the Sako. I particularly wanted to use Mik having had work done by him before and finding him most agreeable so Dan asked me if I'd mind approaching him with regards an order which I did.I have a 7mm barrel on order along with one of their over barrel moderators. I believe Mik ordered some other items from Dan at the same time. Exactly what I'm not too sure. Maybe other carbon wrapped barrels.

The consignment is expected to arrive in one months time.

I can't wait.

It's worth looking at some of the YouTube videos that Hardys have posted. It's all very interesting.

Hope you enjoy

Mike.

PS The Kiwis seem to make exports a who lot easier than the Yanks. No ITAR issues to circumnavigate.

We'd be interested to hear how you get on with these. We've just had a read at their website and were reasonably impressed: the claims made for them seem to be based on a good grasp of science and engineering rather than the traditional marketing hype.

Well try a search on Snipershide for an up to date view from a larger sample of shooters.

Last time I had a look there had clearly been plenty marketing promises and a number of failures to deliver, but there did seem to be a view that they were beginning to get it right. Maybe not unusual

• 3 weeks later...

andy at riflecraft was unwrapping a pile of hardy carbon fibre barrels a couple of months ago , looked very good bits of kit

I was after a carbon wrapped barrel for a Sako 75. I looked at the Proof Research ones but the tenon end was too wide in diameter and carbon can't be turned down on a lathe so neither could the stainless steel.

One of the posts on here lead me to Hardy Rifle Engineering in New Zealand. I emailed and then spoke with Dan Hardy who advised that their Carbon Wrapped barrels, which are part of a series of upgrades for T3s would also fit the Sako. I particularly wanted to use Mik having had work done by him before and finding him most agreeable so Dan asked me if I'd mind approaching him with regards an order which I did.I have a 7mm barrel on order along with one of their over barrel moderators. I believe Mik ordered some other items from Dan at the same time. Exactly what I'm not too sure. Maybe other carbon wrapped barrels.

The consignment is expected to arrive in one months time.

I can't wait.

It's worth looking at some of the YouTube videos that Hardys have posted. It's all very interesting.

Hope you enjoy

Mike.

PS The Kiwis seem to make exports a who lot easier than the Yanks. No ITAR issues to circumnavigate.

I had a Hardy barrel fitted to my Tikka T3 over the winter - I'm delighted with it. The barrel was supplied and fitted by StuartAnselm of Osprey Rifles. Shoots very well, I'm delighted with it.

Rob,

That's good to know.

Since my last post I spoke with Mik who advised me he placed an order for about 10 barrels. By my reckoning they should be here either this or next week. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the finished item.

Thanks again.

Mike

I had a Hardy barrel fitted to my Tikka T3 over the winter - I'm delighted with it. The barrel was supplied and fitted by StuartAnselm of Osprey Rifles. Shoots very well, I'm delighted with it.

That's good to hear. I have a Hardy carbon barrel ready to go in 338. I also have had a Tikka 223 rebarrelled in Hardy stainless and it is a very accurate rifle. So far I have been impressed with the quality of Hardy barrels

Oh yes! I had a phone call this morning from Mik at Dolphin to tell me my barrel and moderator have arrived and he will be doing it next week.

Happy days.

When it's all finished I'll have to post some photos. I might be asking for some help to do that chaps.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Range Runner

Good to meet you today - a coincidence that we both got 6.5CM Bat VR actioned proof barrel (26" Sendero) from Dolphin

Here is a picture of mine fresh from Mik/Dolphin - great service - He was great to deal with, get advice from and faster than ordering any of my 'factory' rifles

It is:

BAT VR action in 6.5 creedmoor

Proof research 26" sender profile carbon barrel

Christensen arms adjustable tactical carbon stock

Huber trigger

Wyatt mags (not shown) and bottom metal

March 5-50 SFP MOA scope with tier one rings

vais muzzle break - reassuringly anti social - I got an ASE utra mod as well to avoid being lynched on a busy day

Bipod is an atlas off my AI but have a Spartan carbon one if weight matters

It is light - well under 10 pounds all up with scope etc but not super light - the BAT action is pretty hefty - the full Christensen rifles are lighter but this was the set up I wanted

It shot very well today - as stated above - recoil feels low for such a light rifle. There are some rather cavalier examples of barrel break-in on youtube - I stuck to the advice on the website and the barrel ran in rapidly.

The chamber was cut for the 140 gr Bergers at 2.83 oal to touch the lands so I backed of to 2.815, put them over RS62 and fed primers in Lapua brass and it loved them - the lapua 139 gr scenars are stockier so I was loading them into the lands at 2.715" and made me cautious of pressure although I did not see any signs on the brass but had a slightly heavy bolt on my hottest load with the bergers and deterioration of precision

I chrono'd all the groups with a magneto speed and will share once I have been through them - I am very cautious about writing up load data so that I do not mislead anyone.

post-14134-0-69234200-1500236594_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rangerunner

Promised you the results when I had shot it properly - I know you are now committed to a proof barrel but the good news is that mine is shooting very well

Following the load test that I did next to you on Short Siberia I picked a load of 140gr Berger Hybrids at 2.815 AOL (.015 off the lands) over 43.2gr RS62, Lapua brass and Federal champion (the cheaper ones) primers

The results shooting prone 25 rounds with the vais muzzle break were good - often 0.5 MOA but with a regular 'pulled' or 'wandering's shot more due to me shifting behind the rifle rather than trigger control or the gun itself. The major weakness in the components is me and maintaining consistency behind the rifle.

I then put the ASE UTRA SL5I mod on (it is a tiny little thing) and shot the other 25 rounds - I found it more forgiving of my sloppy form and reduced my tendency to fidget and 4 /5 of the 5 round groups were under .5MOA and the worst was 0.52MOA - that is absolutely at the limit of my ability so the consistency from the rifle/barrel was very pleasing. I think the Proof barrel / BAT VR combo is excellent - I just need to stop wriggling between shots without the mod!

See below

post-14134-0-29316900-1501930697_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hobbit for the write up, excellent results and good shooting. I changed the order on the Action to a Definace tactical and added the new tacsport Bixn-Andy 2 stage trigger. I'll probably get the whole lot assembled to fit in a JP stock that I already have as I still have another few months to wait for the Manners. I'll PM you soon to see if you fancy a Bisley outing.

Regards

Rangerunner

Archived