REDDING DIES - experiences?

spartan7510

Recently bought brand new set of REDDING deluxe dies. Wanted something a little more precise than my LEE ultimate dies for 308. What a pain to setup. Had issues with FL size die - causing shoulder denting on the cases. Stuffed a couple of my GGG cases trying it out. Cases were prepped and trimmed to right size before - used LEE deluxe die trim set. I found out that build up of reszing lube is actually the cause of this from what I understand reading an article on REDDING website. Unlike LEE which uses allows excess lube to escape out the top.

The other issue is the bullet seating and crimping die from REDDING. What a painful experience to setup - would appreciate any pointers here from experienced users.
As I understand the height of the die from the shellholder determines the amount of crimp.
The seat plug adjustment independently determines the bullet depth.
- Have to find the right combination of both which is quite tricky. Just found the LEE with separate crimp and bullet seat to be easier to use and more consistent. REDDINGS rolled crimper seems to be a real pain...

Reloading 101, don't use too much lube.... no problems with dies.

Setting up crimp is simple. Place a resized case into the shellholder and screw the die down until you feel resistance, either back it off slightly for no crimp or thread it in another 1/2 turn or so depending on how much you want. Lock off the die ring and then worry about your OAL by adjusting the seating depth stem.

Once you're familiar with the Redding they work fine. I will also say you will have no problems whatsoever with the LEE Dies as you have already found. I use both Redding and LEE (plus Forster)

I have found there is minimal difference between all makers. This however is once you have set the LEE dies correctly (correct measurements) they're as effective as any...(you're only issue with using LEE Dies might sometimes be the look of disgust from the " well, I use these Dies" brigade. Bizarrely some people think if they use a certain manufacturer of die their rounds will be more precise - be there done that, not necessarily

If you set the LEE dies correctly they're as effective (and precise) as any - you, I, or the man in the moon won't tell the difference

As others have said, you only need the smallest "smear" of lube on your cases otherwise it causes no end of trouble.

If you don't already use it switch to imperial sizing wax.

I always use Redding dies and never had an issue.

Archived