6mmbr V 6X47 or 6mm xxxxxx

Chaps as I have never saw a 6 X 47 but have read lots about how it is the next great thing could anyone please advise on the difference if any.

I had a 6Br some time ago and always have regretted selling it. You comments would be appreciated as I am considering building a new 6mm.

Badger

There is no 'next great thing' - all the main/current 6mm calibers are well known so each can be evaluated on its own merits and directly compared to its rivals, only then will you make your choice based on which factors matter most to you.

You dont say what the application will be so its hard for anyone to say much more at this stage.

As BIg Al,but these are rather similarly performing horses,in the general 243w class....80g @ 3000-3200 fps,for the three...so likely to overlap considerably in courses!

Availability,rifle,cost,component choice, factory options and so on do differ-as do twist rates-which can affect bullet weights.

Accurate Shooter has decent information on 6mm cartridges.

243 preceeded 6BR preceeded 6x47,but other parameters are not so consistently distributed-they are all quite close however,with perhaps niche advantages-eg 243 for field use,6BR absolute accuracy-6x47 probably closer to 6BR...but you get down to individual rifles for many applications.

NIce choice to have,though.

gbal

Thanks chaps for your comments. As big Al pointed out I neglected my intended use which will be target work out to a max of 600m. Most of shooting will be carried out at 300 to 500. I currently have a 243 and a 260 which is my deer gun. My intention is to replace the 243 with another 6mm. 6BR has a reputation as very suitable for this type of shooting and has a reasonable life expectancy. As previously mentioned I had a BR in the past and was very pleased with its performance. I regret selling it.

What I am trying to find out is peoples honest comment on the other 6mm options as other than 243 or 6ppc I have had no first hand knowledge of their performance.

Badger

Well, the 6XC and 6mm Creedmoor (when we get it) have the advantage of no case-forming and more capacity than the 6BR (and 6-6.5x47). The 6-6.5x47 is a great round, thanks to Lapua brass and small primer but will require some case-forming.

However, for mainly 300-500 yds, I'd probably keep it simple and go for the 6BR.

As Vince,given the extra information-6BR .No special prep/availability issues,probably precision edge to 500y.The 260 is a fine UK deer cartridge,and the 243 offers no advantages there -sometimes the opposite. I'd be hard pushed to favour either of the 243s I've used over the two 6BRs used for 'club level' targets-the 6BRs get the nod for that,maybe not for field shooting though-but that really comes down to the rifle configuration and ammo issues. I imagine that isn't radically at odds with your experience of the 243 and 6BR.

gbal

I've had 4 .243's (hunting rifles), a 6br (cooper m22), full custom 6x47 and a full custom 6xc. The .243 is not known for its accuracy and has brass issues, the br is a bit anemic but accurate, the 6x47 was a good performer but the xc is fantastic. Accurate as the br but more speed, feeds well, low noise, low recoil, goodbrass life. I reccomend the xc, but just choose the right twist and build the rifle the right size/weight/style for the job in hand.

As big Al pointed out I neglected my intended use which will be target work out to a max of 600m. Most of shooting will be carried out at 300 to 500.

The 6x47 is an easy cartridge to load with very little brass prep other than to run the 6.5x47 cases through a 6x47 FL die, other than that its the usual brass prep and reload. I built a 6x47 recently for a customer and I saw all of his load development targets, after a switch of powder to RL15 he had very small groups and around 3220fps which is considerably more than you will get from a 6BR and the added advantage of reliable mag feeding.

If your target shooting is serious then fps (along with inherent accuracy) matter and even though the 6BR is superb I would rather have superb and fast if its for serious competition, if its informal target shooting then its hard to look past a standard 6BR. I recently built myself a 6 Dasher (after considering all the cases we are talking about now) which is shooting 105 Hybrids through a 7.5 twist Krieger at around 3150fps with good accuracy.

Something to bear in mind in this is barrel twist, an 8 twist will work but I would rather have a 7 or 7.5 to ensure fully optimised BCs on the heavy bullets but again this really only matters if your looking for every ounce of performance in high level competition.

Thanks chaps for your help. I will not have the opportunity for serious competition at this time but wish to have an accurate a rifle for" our league" competition.

Any further comments are welcome with regard to other 6mms as I appreciate to your comments and advice.

Badger

Brass availability is also a factor to bear in mind. Plenty of Lapua brass to be had in 6mm BR, .243, 6.5x47 and now 6.5 Creedmoor too. 6XC is somewhat harder to find.

Can I ask why a 6mm? For pest control I can see the attraction of a flatter trajectory, but for target shooting on a known distance range this is somewhat academic. Drift is about the same as a 6.5 and barrel life will be a lot worse for a 6mm (except for the 6mm BR and variants).

6Xc is an incredibly accurate round. I've just built one for myself, and it was shooting 1/4" groups...every group, with no load development whatsoever. It will be quite something with a tweak or two.

The 6 Creedmoor looks to be a good choice too. I have the reamer, but haven't used it yet.

6BR is proven.

What have they all got in common ?

A long neck. ;)

6xc ? We hadn't encountered that afore tonight. From a little reading on t' interweb it seems quite an astounding cartridge. What are people's real world experiences of it?

I like it very much and shoot factory ammo at deer and reloaded ammo at paper with it. Laurie on here was instrumental in heading me towards one. My one thought having read the thread quickly again is that a second 260 Rem might be an option for you?

I do find it easier to see the 6.5mm and .308 bullet holes on paper compared with the 6XC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl6ss2hzae8owke/Borden%20Alpine%206XC%20with%20March%20scope%201%2020140906.jpg?dl=0

Regards JCS

We're a different badger to the initial poster are us, but we likes to think we are the original and best. We shoot 6.5x55 Swedish in several hunting rifles and were considering it as a target round too, but now we are wondering if 6XC has more merit for paper perforating.

I can see why the OP may well have settled on a 6BR, its a good choice.

My 6 Dasher is starting to shape up nicely in still conditions this evening. Interestingly my fire formed Dasher necks are over 0.100" shorter than a standard 6BR with no obvious loss in accuracy, the extra case capacity also comes in very handy at longer distances.

post-13063-0-08265600-1496445538_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-24122600-1496445566_thumb.jpg

Chaps one further point with the BR is Dies. All my dies are either Redding or Forster. Would the BR benefit from my using Wilson Dies in this case. I do not want to start a die war but merely wish to gain from the benefit of your extensive experience

Badger

Redding dies will give you 0.001" runout unless you do something daft.

The critical bit is the press . Nothing better than a forster co ax in my opinion.

I use the Reddiing dies and co-ax Baldie recommend.

What I will add is don't get hung up with BC. Yes the 105+ class bullets have great BC but the 87gr V-Max from the BR case is hard to beat. Very low recoil, very low report and the higher velocity make it a real performer.

Archived