.223 wylde development

Blacknsilver

Hi guys. Looking for any advice on loading for the .223 I have just bought.

These are the bullets I have got. Also I have Lapua match brass and gold medal match primers

Been having a quick read and the 69 gr bullets in one post I read we not grouping well and a suggestion was to seat the bullet further out due it the throats being modified to take longer Bullets.

I have a few tubs of hodgdonsH4895 powder and a tub of ramshot tac.

I will be starting at the manuals suggestions but wanted to see if anyone could share there advice on loading for my new rifle.

Cheers

post-15046-0-06743400-1496002175_thumb.png

Take the two bottom boxes back for a refund

FMJBT bullets are open base, if they are SS109 style they will have steel penetrator in the nose (put a magnet on them and see)

Either way they won't be the most accurate

Don't get hung up on all this Wylde malarkey, it's at its best shooting over mag length 80s

If you have an 8 twist or faster (although 8 is enough), ditch the 69s and buy 77's and load them up with 4895, or even better RS52, Varget, N140 or Reloder 15

23-24.5gns of any of those will be fine

ps, am I right in thinking that you paid £35 for 100 Scenars?

Would you have two loads. One for targets mainly up to 600yards and one round for occasional long range pest control and fox round. Would you use the HPBT for everything or need a ballistic tip? If so what bullet weight recommendations would you use?

Taken a quick look and there are a few options.

There seems to s a big jump in price between

Sierra MatchKing HPBT – .224 77GR CANNELURE X50

and

Lapua Scenar L HPBT – .224 77gr

Would you have two loads. One for targets mainly up to 600yards and one round for occasional long range pest control and fox round. Would you use the HPBT for everything or need a ballistic tip? If so what bullet weight recommendations would you use?

Taken a quick look and there are a few options.

There seems to s a big jump in price between

Sierra MatchKing HPBT – .224 77GR CANNELURE X50

and

Lapua Scenar L HPBT – .224 77gr

You don't need the cannelured versions, the std 77SMK is excellent and there are alternatives, such as the Nosler

I've always shot Sierras and have never seen the benefit of shooting the Lapua versions

I don't do any varminting, but the TMK versions seem popular for this

Good luck and have fun

If you aren't stuck with a OAL of 2.260" for mag length, then loading long is also an option

I was shooting these 80 JLKs (2.517" OAL) on Saturday in the 800, 900, 1000yd match at the Phoenix at Bisley

Pictured shown next to a 2.260" OAL round for comparison

DBB32DF9-21A3-40E7-9F33-54C74CC3431C_zps

DBB32DF9-21A3-40E7-9F33-54C74CC3431C_zps

ps, I won the match :D ........well no one else entered!!! :mad:

Great advice from Bradders as per usual!

You could stick to TMKs and use them for both your intended uses as they do expand very well and are very frangible. The 69's would be devastating on fox.

However, the 69's can be a bit finnicky and just don't seem to shoot that well in some barrels. You have to play around with seating depth and barrel time to get them to group well, but once dialled in they're an impressive bullet to 600 yards. The 77's I think are less finnicky and easier to find a load for in most 1/8 barrels.

With a longer Wylde throated barrel, I'd be very tempted to do what Bradders suggests and try out the 80 JLKs loaded long for longer distance target and plinking. The TMKs, or A-Max (there's still stock knocking about) will both roll over charlie if using for longer range pest control where you have little option to get in closer. You'll obviously still need to develop the loads to match accuracy and be a capable shot if taking on longer range pest control for obvious reasons.

One of the skills most tend to leave until last as a "bolt on" when trying longer range work initially, are environmental considerations. These become critical when shooting to 600 and beyond with .223 and looking for precision. We were discussing .223 LR challenges yesterday at the range and agreed that on one range, having a constant 10mph cross wind was often much easier to shoot in than when there was little wind but going from sunny to cloudy with varying temperatures where we've noted much larger variations on target!

Archived