Ideas for a .308

pwinnall

Hello.

I have just had my fac back and have a .308 slot.

I do a little target shooting, stalking so a bit of an alrounder I need.

It must be very accurate though. ?

Options are sako 85 varmint lam, tikka super varmint or a Rem PSS

Or some of the new tactical types coming out now.

What do you think?

Thanks for your advice.

Phil

Just looked at the CTR in a local RFD and it is cheaper than the super varmint, comes with the pic rail and nice metal 10 round mag, if not this Tikja then the CZ 557 varmint is worth a look

Add a half decent scope to either and you'd be well away

Brgds T

Have two stainless 308 CTR's here, both have shot several 3 shot groups well under 1/4" with Hornady factory ammo. Only change I made was the stock.

With the CTR Tikka got it almost completely right.

edi

Everyone will have their favourites but one small piece of advice:

If at all possible try each rifle (shoulder the rifles) that take your fancy and buy a rifle that fits you - do not base your decision on the one that looks the sweetest.

Example:.. I find my standard T3 is a small rifle and length-of-pull and position of heel on stock is a tad too short for me

My T3x SV with the benefits of the rail and adjustable cheek-piece and those couple more millimetres added on the newer buttpad allows to make the rifle fit perfectly

Futile buying a Ferrari to plough a field.. so choose wisely and to quote your own words "it must be very accurate"?.. Well, you can bet your ass it won't be if it don't fit. Or to put it another way, it will be a "very accurate rifle"..if it fits....The majority of rifles are these days

Good luck with your choice and enjoy

Mauser M12 Impact. Compare it to a Tikka T3X then make your decision.

AFAIK you cant get a 10rnd 308 mag for the Mouser? this could be an issue in some comps.

http://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-tests/tikka-t3x-ctr-in-308-winchester-in-depth-rifle-review-1-4881598

http://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-tests/mauser-m12-impact-in-308-win-in-depth-test-and-review-1-4992761

Futile buying a Ferrari to plough a field.. so choose wisely and to quote your own words "it must be very accurate"?..

Evenin' ooman.

If you're looking to plough a field, we'd suggest Lamborghini: 'em makes tractors as well as supercars.

The rifle equivalent is Schultz and Larsen. Awesome guns, interchangeable barrels too so you can swap calibres, excellent stalkers and can hold their own for accuracy against dedicated target rifles. The only problem with using them as target rifles is that the barrel heats up quickly if you fire a lot of shots quickly... From Wuster it's a worthwhile drive down to www.ivythornsporting.co.uk to test one.

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your advice.

The CTR looks like it fits the bill, but I will have a look at the M12 too.

Markymark, your rifle looks good but unfortunately I'm out the country for 1 month. If you still have it when I get back then I would like to have a serious look.

But until I'm back I can only window shop and read reviews.

Thanks again to all your input.

Ps. I love competitions but max I would do is a McQueen. I'm not into long range stuff, more gallery rifle and short range.

So the mag capacity will need to be considered and the cost of a CTR mag too.

Thank you

Phil

My 308 stalking rifle was taken to Bisly on the 1st of November 2015 it was a fogy day with no wind how ever in the after noon I used it at 600 yards and was able to shoot 3 out of 4 target patches out as witnessed by at least one member on here.

Then dropped a left and rite at 278 yards (two fallow one with a Brocken hind leg hence the left and rite ) the next day.

A Dolphin Rifle and very lite.

If you're looking to plough a field, we'd suggest Lamborghini: 'em makes tractors as well as supercars.

The rifle equivalent is Schultz and Larsen. Awesome guns, interchangeable barrels too so you can swap calibres, excellent stalkers and can hold their own for accuracy against dedicated target rifles. The only problem with using them as target rifles is that the barrel heats up quickly if you fire a lot of shots quickly... From Wuster it's a worthwhile drive down to www.ivythornsporting.co.uk to test one.

Those Lambo's aint half damn ugly though ...I will however concur the S & L is a sweet looking rifle but the main point for me is the fit when shouldered,...in prone, sitting, kneeling and off a bench. All positions will have their differences in fit, but on a personal level and, a costly one through experience, when a rifle don't fit me I just as well have used a blow-pipe.

I see a lot a people with real nice rifles, expensive scopes, and use 'quality' reloading gear. One in particular is "still working up a load" to get the rifle to shoot .5 at 100yds - what, still, for 2yrs? :o...There is nothing with this guy's loads because his shooting buddy is able to put hole on top of hole with that rifle..

Now, when he shoots his other rifle, which is a CZ 550 laminate, he too can put hole on top of hole ..Hmmmm

Easily obvious the stock is too short for him on the first rifle ...but in his mind this cannot be because this is his 'most expensive' set-up :wacko:

Live & learn I suppose but these days I never underestimate the importance of how well the rifle sits in the shoulder

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your advice.

The CTR looks like it fits the bill, but I will have a look at the M12 too.

Markymark, your rifle looks good but unfortunately I'm out the country for 1 month. If you still have it when I get back then I would like to have a serious look.

But until I'm back I can only window shop and read reviews.

Thanks again to all your input.

Ps. I love competitions but max I would do is a McQueen. I'm not into long range stuff, more gallery rifle and short range.

So the mag capacity will need to be considered and the cost of a CTR mag too.

Thank you

Phil

My CTR is a 6.5 Creedmoor. It is pretty much the most accurate rifle I own. and I own many. I have several Tikka t-3's hunting rifles that shoot marvelously including a 308 T-3 lite which is about a half MOA gun. I'm guessing a CTR 308 will be better. One nice thing about a Tikka is that you don't need to break your neck looking for items like a 20MOA rail or a chassis if you want to go that route. There are a lot of 'goodies' made for the Tikka CTR.~Andrew

Didn't we all go through this about a year ago with billeted AR receivers that amounted to nothing?

Dear Bradders.

There was no need for your comment.

I had a close personal loss twelve months ago which made me drop off the planet.

Regards.

Sorry to hear that Phil, no harm intended

Thank you Mark,

Exactly 12 months on the 3rd June so it's all a bit emotional at the moment.

So I'm getting back into the outside world. Ps. I ordered an Eisenach upper from Roger. But everything got put on hold.

Hope you are keeping well.

Best regards

Phil

T3 varmint or CTR. Little point in paying the extra for the super varmint as most change the stocks eventually anyway. I find that the GRS Decima Sporter is a great all round stock and use mine for stalking as well as target. No probs with the weight. Shoots half moa or better all day long if I do my bit. For the money they're a complete no-brainer.

Agree with the comments on the M12 and Shultz & Larson rifles too, having handled a few. Lovely rifles but tbh, no worth the extra unless you want a lighter high quality stalker only. Sako 85 I've always thought of as a T3 in drag with a higher price tag (preferred the 75 tbh...thought it was a nicer quality thing).

Archived