243 win grouping issue

banus02

went out to check zero today with a good friend started at 100 but went back to fifty yards reason being my friends rifle was shooting 21/2" loose groups at 100 but back at fifty yards five shots touching,one ragged hole with 70 and 85gr bullets .check every thing and can find no problems,we change scopes ,his is swaro 8x56 for my delta reshot no difference,removed checked and refitted his bell and carson stock.his rifle is a winchester coyote light with less than 900 rounds.cleaned rifle took 2 hours retried at 100 still 21/2" using 55/58/70/85/95/100gr bullets back to fifty clover leaf on all except 100gr and these were 3/4" ,.tried with and with out moderator,single shots of truck roof with front and rear bags very stable.and shooting five shots through mine between each of his rifle shots so no heating up,swapped moderators etc ,factory and home loads,stumpped now . any ideas chaps?

banus

That testing method sounds like you're trying to sprint the Olympic 100m when you should be strolling a charity walk - won't work...

There are a host of variables to eliminate and swapping and changing your components will give you as much chance as winning the lottery jackpot

Start from scratch and begin by using just....one bullet weight, one powder, one (unmoved) stock, one (again unmoved) scope, one range, at a time

ATB

banus, I understand your proceedures to try to check out an unexpected problem 'in the field'-the outcomes do suggest scope/mod/stock issues are not the immediate issue-nor is it rifle twist,if the 100g were the least disappointing at 100y!

It would be helpful to know what this rifle usually does-with 900 shots,presumably there is some good 100y data-and it should not be shot out in 900,unless pretty hot loads have been used....

So...when did it shoot ok,and with what set up/and especially ammo-something has changed....so let's establish a base,and then try an elimination,as Snakeman suggests...incidentally,'one ragged hole' isn't a very good comparison-use card and get a better measure,at all distances? Oh,and did the rifle shoot similarly for both of you?

gbal

Give it a really good clean and then get someone with a bore scope to have a look up the barrel. No use to just keep throwing bullets down range, establish the barrel is still good then go one step at at time. I'd start with factory ammo to establish a base line then go from there.

If the previous loads used were on the hot side it is possible the barrel is toast.

Archived