Viht 140 and Hornady 155gr A-Max Load info required

pengo

Hi there,

I'm trying to find the starting and maximum load data for using Viht 140 with Hornady A-Max 155gr and the Vihtavuori website only shows info for Lapua and Sierra bullets......

Would anybody be able to help me with this, please?

Cheers

Paul

Presuming .308; stick 44 grains in and see how you go.

Max generally for ~150gr bullets is normally around 46 grains.

hope this helps : winchester / ppu cases federal 210 primer/murmon primer 44.5 grs n140 though a ruger precision rifle chronoed at 2650 fps and less than 1" groups with out really trying.found no measurable difference in groups.no pressure signs.did get pressure signs with the ppu at 45.8 so backed off.no pressure signs with winchester at 46.7grs but group opening up so again backed off to 44.5.good luck work up slowly your rifle will be different.

Thank you for your replies Gentlemen.

Forgot to state it was for a .308 (schoolboy error), but glad that everyone picked up on it.

Looks like I'll be starting at 44.0grains, then.

Thanks once again.

Paul

44gr N140 with most 150 to 155gr pills works well in my rifle. I wouldn't advise that as a starting load. I'd start a bit lower and work up until you see pressure signs and back off a bit. A fair point is that you'll likely run out of case volume before getting much in the way of pressure if seating back a 2.8 mag length, but I've found N140 to be quite temperature sensitive and have seen pressure signs at 44.5gr when the ammo had been in the sun for a short time last summer during a shoot. Most accurate load in my rifle with 155's seems to be a little less at 43.6gr although this is obviously range limited to around 600 yds for best results.

Archived