Stiff bolt with aftermarket shroud!

trucraft

Just fitted a aftermarket shroud from another member.

I'm finding that cocking the rifle is very stiff.

This is on dry firing.

Anyone explain why or how I can sort this out please?

Some of the aftermarket shrouds have basically the wrong tolerances inside. Its the steel flange on the cocking pin, that is too tight in the internal track it runs in.

Chuck it in the cut.

The best shrouds are the ones which are a loose fit, and have a little spring in the back to stop them rattling.

More trouble than they are worth. Not only do they cause a stiff bolt, they will make the rifle inconsistent too.

Some of the aftermarket shrouds have basically the wrong tolerances inside. Its the steel flange on the cocking pin, that is too tight in the internal track it runs in.

Chuck it in the cut.

The best shrouds are the ones which are a loose fit, and have a little spring in the back to stop them rattling.

More trouble than they are worth. Not only do they cause a stiff bolt, they will make the rifle inconsistent too.

Thanks Dave.

Well oiling it has helped a little but as you said the tolerances are too tight.

Which ones do you recommend?

I dont to be honest.There is so much junk out there.

I had the Australian ones in the past, and they were ok, but basically i don't sell/supply them anymore for the above reasons.

The fault took some spotting, but it was making a freshly re barrelled gun shoot crap. The gun had come in without a shroud, and the customer had un be known to me, fitted one when he got home. the gun was grouping poorly. I removed the shroud and it was a tack driver.

Archived