308 firing sabot 223

banus02

does any one use their 308win with sabot 223 bullets ,if so how was accuracy etc and are the sabot easily available and of course are we in the uk legaly allowed to use them.not heard much about them but do know they can be found in the uk.

I 3D printed some sabots to fire .223 out of my .303 with poor results.

With light bullets they were totally unstable and I only fired 3 before deciding it was too dangerous to continue even on tube range.

With heavier bullets, they were quite consistent in their impact point but were hitting sideways most of the time.

I'm sure they could be fairly accurate if you found the right bullet weight and loading for the .308 twist. I just did it to see if I could rather than having a use for it, so I've never tried them further.

They were originally available some 20 or so years ago as loaded rounds from Remington under the 'Accelerator' name in 30-06, 308 Win, and .30-30WCF with 3,000 + fps to 4,000 Fps MVs for a 55gn PSP varmint bullet depending on cartridge. The idea was for one deer rifle to be usable as a varminter too. It didn't catch on, likely because:

people (ie American people) were becoming well enough off to want and be able to buy / own several dedicated rifles.

the bullet manufacturers introduced new and better lightweight bullets in 6mm in particular, so the dual-purpose role was much better served by a 243 say with two varieties of handloads or factory ammunition.

the Remington 'Accelerator' sabot ammunition gave mediocre precision at best and much poorer than that from a good factory 222, 223, or 22-250 rifle, never mind the 204 when it appeared or from custom and semi-custom varmint rifles.

I've loaded them in a 7.62x39 mm CZ527 carbine. I think it was 55 grain Privi Partisan FMJ and about a 5 grain sabot with 25 grains of N110. It gave mediocre accuracy (15 mm at 20 m), but one hell of a muzzle flash. No sideways bullets, but then again the twist on the CZ is quite high, 1:9.5" I think. So quite high enough over stabilise them. The high twist helps the sabot petal to open up which is a bonus.

Though the accuracy of these wasn't all that good, a properly designed sabot round is cable of incredible accuracy. Anti-armour 120 mm tank rounds can get 200x200 mm groups at 1,000 m. Then again, these are precision made aluminium alloy, tungsten alloy, steel and plastic constructions, along with precision made charges. Not some ejection made plastic sabot with a roughly fitting sub-calibre bullet. Maybe if they were produced to a higher specification you'd get better accuracy?

Are they not illegal in the UK? I know sometime in the distant past Sabot rounds came to the fore and I cant remember what the outcome was exactly apart from what I think the case to be.

Not unless you load them up with hand turned steel or tungsten alloy armour piecing sub-projectiles.

• 4 months later...

If anybody wants a slack handful of .30 sabots, get in touch. I have some grey ones from the States and some red ones from N Zealand.

I had some fun with them but not satisfied enough to use them for live quarry.

Do not use them with a moderator fitted.

I shoot next to a guy who did and the results were spectacular on his wallet. One destroyed moderator.

Or over a Chrono - I did and the sabot put holes in the Chrono Vanes :-(

It didn't catch on, likely because:

people (ie American people) were becoming well enough off to want and be able to buy / own several dedicated rifles.

No. That wasn't it. As you alluded to later, they shot like crap and that is why no one bought them. The shop i worked in at the time couldn't give the Accelerator ammo away. I shot them myself in 30-06 and managed almost 8 MOA from a scoped Remington Model 30 that would shoot 3/4 MOA with about any other decent bullet. No one who tried them gave positive feedback.....~Andrew

Archived