Hi,

I'm thinking of a 6.5 build and not sure what caliber to choose. Options are 260, 6.5creedmoor or 6.5saum? Any advice, help etc would be appreciated the rifle would be a long range varmint/hunting rifle shooting mostly 140 grain target and hunting bullets. Probably a stiller action and carbon barrel with McMillan edge stock. Would the 6.5 saum have to much recoil for such a light combo? Thanks

Ro6.5

I've had the 260 and I now run a creedmoor , same rifle re-barrelled .

The 260 has very slightly more legs but that might change with the new small primer creedmoor brass

If you reload , 260, if you want good factory creedmoor

The saum seems a large step up in performance ?

6.5 x 47 would be my shout but then 6.5CM is very popular. I had mine built by Dave Wylde and he did a great job but most importantly its getting the advice around what the build can be built on. Stiller is a nice action. Have a look at the Defiance actions also. Good luck with your build.

Creed or 47! I have a 47 rebarreled by Paddy Dane very accurate straight out the blocks, low recoil good performance, friend has a creed also very accurate, nothing between them to be fair, found my .260 punchy to shoot compared to the other Two, but it's a light rifle compared to the other two.

• 2 months later...

260 with 308 small primer pocket necked down to 260 works for me.

I also run '260 Palma' stuff......

260rem works great, Large or Small primer.....

6.5 Creedmore in the small primer pocket lapua cases are pushing 139gn at about 3100 fps which will does for me. I also like that rifles are available off the shelf as is ammo should I need any

Zzr,

which powder are you using?

thanks.

Have you chrono'd it to know it's running 3100? That's pretty stout......

Have you chrono'd it to know it's running 3100? That's pretty stout......

Quite. I thought 3100 was quick for CM with 120g??

Zzrpilot, have you thought about (excess) pressure with your claimed load? It's there,even if you have not seen signs...yet.

A larger case-like 264 magnum-running at 64000 psi pressures comes in around 3030 fps in SAAMI loads with 140g.

260 SAAMI with 60000 psi -more comparable case to the CM in capacity-at 60000 psi in 2750 fps with 140g.

Hornady's ammunition for the CM falls well short of your claims.Since you say you might buy some,it might be a good idea to check it out.

The thread "6.5 Creedmoor Loads" might give some reload data too.....

Yes its been chrono'd, No there are no pressure signs over 20 rounds using Lapua small primer brass, yes its a stout load. It was shot from a Ruger precision seated 5 thou off the lans.

Would I put it in my Sabatti no, but I will work a load up that way and see how it goes

Load development is something I do a lot of.

Fair play to you, that's some going.

Dare we ask what powder you're running? I've some 260 small primer brass that needs caning..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of a 6.5 build and not sure what caliber to choose. Options are 260, 6.5creedmoor or 6.5saum? Any advice, help etc would be appreciated the rifle would be a long range varmint/hunting rifle shooting mostly 140 grain target and hunting bullets. Probably a stiller action and carbon barrel with McMillan edge stock. Would the 6.5 saum have to much recoil for such a light combo? Thanks

Ro6.5

I run a 6.5 x55 in my hunting rifle for fallow using 140 gr projectiles and it is a superb performer. I recently treated myself to a custom build in 6.5x47 for target and have not regretted it. Ease of accessing components such as brass, powder and projectiles was a consideration for me however now that Lapua make Creedmor brass that calibre would be worth a look. I feel that the niche range for the 47 is in the 120-130gr projectile range especially at some distance. 140's still shot well at close range and haven't seen what it will do at distance. Bergers have been my projectile of choice as well in both 6.5s.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone get close to this velocity? If so what powder are you using?

Its all gone a bit quiet, last post on the subject from ZZr was that he was waiting for confirmation from the proof house that the load was safe; no update so either it was a negative or he hasn't heard back yet, time will tell!

Well a update on the original post I opted for a blaser match in 6.5x284 shooting 140's at 2890fps. As I already had dies and brass it seemed the sensible thing to do. And very pleased I am with it too! A very accurate practical rifle! Thanks for all your advice.

Archived