Pulsar Helion

froggy

All

Has anyone used the new Helion XP50 in the field. I am really after a like for like comparason against the older Quantum XQ50 for image resolution, field of view and magnification quality. I have the Quantum XQ50 and use it exclusively now for night work. On the plus side I find the image quality up to 8:2 power excellent,however anything above this is far to grainy. On the negative side is that it starts at 4:1 power and this makes viewing at distances under 100 yards hard work due to the narrow field of view. Just after your honest opinions​.

Cheers froggy

Detection range for the Helion XP50, Helion XQ50 and the Quantum XQ50 are all the same.

Detection range only depends on pixel pitch and objective lens focal length - and those factors are the same for all 3 models.

The Helion XP 50 will give you a wider field of view and lower base magnification, because the 640x480 sensor is physically larger than the 384x288 sensor in the both XQ models.

I take resolution to mean the area "seen" by each pixel sensor at a specific distance. In that case, the resolution is the same for all three models.

I don't have a Helion, but I do run a 640x480 core thermal scope and the wide field of view is invaluable for rapid target aquisition

Cheers

Bruce

Thank you Bruce for taking the time to reply. What thermal scope are you using?. PM if you want. I have had the chance to look down a Apex75 but nothing else scope wise. I also see Clive's WT1 75 range gets good reviews but not seen one in action..

Cheers froggy

I'm using a thermal scope I bought direct from China.

It's essentially the same as the WT1-75-6 sold by Clive.

BTW, don't even think of buying direct from China - mine cost more than it would have had I bought it from Clive when he started selling them.

I'd probably go for a 75-3 now.

Cheers

Bruce

Again, thank you for your help Bruce. Any one near South/Mid Wales or Cheltenham areas with a WT1-75-3 they would be prepared to let me look down?

Cheers froggy

Hi froggy , I've just had the Helion XP50 but i jumped from the XD50 so my gain was vast . I've looked through my friends XQ and whilst the mag can be misleading where a direct comparison is concerned i can hoestly say that through my eyes the resolution of the Helion seems better and a lot more useful to scan with . I don't want to get into pixels and core details etc just that it's far nicer to use than my old XD which is the same design as the XQ , battery is so far better in design and usage and the features are useful and not just gimmicks . I've not found a negative with the Helion and whilst it's still early days I'm so pleased with it .

OSOK

Thank you OSOK.

My shooting buddy uses a XD50 and the image displayed and detection range doesn't compare to the XQ model but for close scanning ranges with the magnification at 2:1 it is useable, but for longer identification purposes he is constantly asking me for my thermal to confirm the target.

This is the main reason for this post, as just as you have stated, the improvement in every department between the old XD and the newer XQ models is vast, and I was interested in learning if the improvements have kept coming.

I realise that there are more features on the latest Helion and that the battery pack has been modified again, but was wondering if the image displayed at a larger magnification was of a better quality. But with the help of Bruce I guess the image quality is the same but the Helion will have a greater field of view. Please feel free to correct me anyone if I have got this wrong.

Cheers froggy

Again, thank you for your help Bruce. Any one near South/Mid Wales or Cheltenham areas with a WT1-75-3 they would be prepared to let me look down?

Cheers froggy

Hi Froggy,

I've got a chap near Swindon if that helps?

Cheers

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

All

Just a quick post in relation to some excellent service I have received from www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk

My shooting buddy decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a Hellion XP50

but isn't the best on computers or on-line ordering so asked me to help. After getting a few quotes from the web we decided to try Ian from the above company. I have never met Ian or are connected with him in any way, and this was the first order with his company from me.

The whole process of purchasing the thermal was painless, his communication, speed of delivery and excellent discount offered was very much appreciated.

We all moan about poor service so I think it only right to praise someone when they get it right.

Thank you very much Ian

Froggy

Last week I had the chance to directly compare an XP50 Helion to my Guide 517 (640 res, 80mm lens) and to an older XD50.

I was very impressed, the detail and contrast in the image were far superior to my Guide, although it could ultimately not see quite as far there really wasn't much in it, they were both night and day ahead of the older XD Pulsar unit. The Helion is also a really nice size and weight to hold in the hand with good battery life as well.

Since the 517 is the biggest bag of unreliable rubbish to ever have been sold as a spotter and mine has after well over 6 months of pain eventually gone back, hence I now have a Helion XP50 on order.

Archived