Treeborne corvids: 12ftlb .177/.22 or 25ftlb .22 Air rifle? - Other Sporting Rifles - UK Varminting

UKV Topic Header Banner (sys)
Photo

Treeborne corvids: 12ftlb .177/.22 or 25ftlb .22 Air rifle?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Air Rifles for Treeborne Corvids (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Were FACs not required for air rifles over 12ftlb in UK, would you choose an air rifle below or above 12ftlbs?

1. I'd choose sub 12ftlb, even if something more powerful didn't need a FAC. (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

2. If it didn't need a FAC, I'd choose more than 12ftlb. (37 votes [90.24%])

Percentage of vote: 90.24%

Taking account of the difference in performance, and the difference in 'legislative hassle' between FAC and non FAC air rifles, would you choose a 12ftlb .177/.22 or a 25ftlb .22 for treeborne corvids?

1. For treeborne corvids, I'd choose a sub 12ftlb .177 (12 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

2. For treebone corvids, I'd choose a sub 12ftlb .22 (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

3. For treeborne corvids, the benefits of a 25ftlb air rifle outweigh the FAC hassles. (25 votes [60.98%])

Percentage of vote: 60.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 brown dog

brown dog

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

As per the poll, grateful for thoughts.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."

UKV Topic First Post Banner (sys)

#2 LR Chris

LR Chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting, fishing...
    Landies, Aviation, Sailing, DIY...

I ain't got enough money for more interests...
    .22lr, cz455
    .22lr K22 LBP
    .204 Ruger, Rem700, custom by Valkyrie
    7mm RSAUM, Stiller Predator Custom by Steve Kershaw

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Corvids are clever Fe@k@rs
They always sit out of range regardless if you brought a 12ft/lb air rifle or a .22 rimfire...
I must carry my .204 too next time :-)

#3 brown dog

brown dog

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Corvids are clever Fe@k@rs
They always sit out of range regardless if you brought a 12ft/lb air rifle or a .22 rimfire...
I must carry my .204 too next time :-)

I'm shooting up in the air - it needs to be a pellet gun, for my purposes :)

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."

#4 DW58

DW58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Interests:Deer Stalking, Rifle Shooting, Hand Loading, and perfecting being a cantankerous old fart.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

They're tough to kill - I've given up in the past on Crows/Jays/Magpies where I couldn't safely use .22 rimfire. I'd say you'd be better safety-wise with a shotgun.
Rob.
.22 Anschütz 1416/4-12x40 AO Vortex Diamondback | .22 Browning T-Bolt/Minox ZA5 4-20x50SF | .222 Rem CZ (Mod)/Minox ZA5 3-15x50SF | .223Rem Tikka T3 28" Bartlein barrel/KRG X-Ray/Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56 | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod)/Swarovski Z6 3-18x50BTL | .308 Tikka T3 28" Hardy barrel/GRS Bolthorn/Kahles K1050 MOAK | .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000/Swarovski PVS 6-24x50L | 7.5x55mm K31 | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-ray/Minox ZX5 5-25x50 SF

#5 pork chop

pork chop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  • Interests:varmint and fox shooting ,shotgun ,air rifle

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Any one of the options will kill cleanly given good pellet placement and sensible ranges 40/55 y for the sub 12.ive used them all over the years but fac air makes it so much easier ,using a .25 running at 48 ftlb plenty of knock down power and can put pellet on pellet at 40 y with ease

#6 LR Chris

LR Chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting, fishing...
    Landies, Aviation, Sailing, DIY...

I ain't got enough money for more interests...
    .22lr, cz455
    .22lr K22 LBP
    .204 Ruger, Rem700, custom by Valkyrie
    7mm RSAUM, Stiller Predator Custom by Steve Kershaw

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

I'm shooting up in the air - it needs to be a pellet gun, for my purposes :)

ah
Then u need a 12g :-)

#7 Grum87

Grum87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:Foxing, long range vermin, Reloading, tinkering.....
    FCSA and CVPC member. Shooting .38/357 LBR,.260rem, .303, 7.62x53r 7.92x57, and .338LM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

They're tough to kill - I've given up in the past on Crows/Jays/Magpies where I couldn't safely use .22 rimfire. I'd say you'd be better safety-wise with a shotgun.

Agree'd, welly them with a shotgun.

#8 Murph

Murph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Accuracy,ballistics,hand loading ,cars and motorbikes

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

I've used an fac air rifle for years on corvids in trees.very effective way to get rid of them. Me and the brother used to wait on them coming into roost of an evening. You will always get the largest individual , who comes in first to check things are safe for the rest of them. If you shoot and miss it you won't see the rest of them.Once it gets almost dark they won't fly very far when they hear a shot being fired.Me and the brother shot 34 grey back crows in the space of 2 hours. I had a 14 ft/lb 177 daystate and he had a 30ft/lb .22. If you can hit them cleanly in the head with low powered air rifle they die instantly. With the fac air rifle anywhere from the chest up and they are a goner. I would use an fac air rifle for the purpose. As soon as you fire a shotgun they won't come anywhere near you. Very effective way to get rid of them and great fun to be had doing it imho.

#9 Tikka4Sika

Tikka4Sika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Shotgun , then you can also shoot them on the wing , only downside is noise.

#10 DML

DML

Newbie or Infrequent Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Target & Varmint shooting. Deer Stalking.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Moderated .410 then?

#11 chaz

chaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Distance steel plate shooting.
    making up accurate rounds.
    Foxing.
    Game and vermin shooting.
    .25 Air Ranger (FAC)
    .22LR
    .223 Remington
    Tikka T3X TAC1 6.5CM
    12 bore Beretta A302
    12 bore Eiber Side by side
    12 bore Hammer action single barrel.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

ah
Then u need a 12g :-)

I've shot way more corvids of all varieties with a shotgun, decoys and a hide set-up than I've every shot with any rifle. 

Good concealment and perfectly still until time to shoot. Not a sucking eggs comment, just my observations. I'm always amazed at how far away a corvid can see such a slight movement even in a good hide.

Having said that, I love the odd lazy day sat in my xtrail with the radio on low on the outskirts of the farm buildings, popping off corvids with my Daystate Air Ranger, in .25 cal running around 44 ft/lb's. They always seem less suspicious around the buildings.

#12 Towsey

Towsey

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Fac airguns are brilliant...if you have the use for it, same as anything.

I'm a firm believer there is a place for them, their so useful and still quiet. For wot it's worth I think a fac registered and then tuned air arms s410 classic is more useable than a factory fac one...they are soooo long, and wot you lose by de-valuing a standard one by registering it you save by spending less in the first place. Yes they give a few less shots but they are so much easier to wield around whether it be when walking, in a wood or in a vehicle

Just my experience

#13 VarmLR

VarmLR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,
    Hill Walking,
    Loud Harley Davidsons ("another" Mid life crisis!)
    Music & Hifi

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

I've shot them with a sub 12 lbs-ft .22 at dusk as they roost and had some success.  A well moderated air rifle is s good way of knocking them down and the sub 12 is just that little bit quieter than the higher energy ones.  Also set up a hide on the edge of a wood and had them with shotguns as they come into roost.  This was by far the more effective method as loads were shot in the space of an hour or two.  For problematical crow problems, a Larsen trap I think is the most effective means of controlling Corvid numbers though.

#14 Kevgun

Kevgun

Newbie or Infrequent Poster

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Clay shooting, fishing, Foxing/ rough shooting, beating, dogs etc

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Only Just seen this, i do the same kind of thing and i use 2 Fac air rifles  a Theoben Rapid mk2 .20 rated at 28 ft lbs Pigeons crows magpies etc, i'm getting about 100 shots @ full power with this and it's spot on for most situations, the other one i have is a FX Bobcat .30 rated @ 77 ft lbs with 46gr pellets or 85 ft lbs with 50 pellet, but you need to be careful with this and i only use it in larger trees where you can guarantee a good back stop, but just shoot at the biggest part and they come down no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users