New Heavy Gun stock for benchrest (Part 2)

Hi les good luck with the load developement, hope to see you and r gun next time I do Benchrest

Hi, yes that is the intention and will reload some tomorrow for Sunday. The wind forecast has definitely died down over the past week, so might be ok(ish) for a 6BR and will give it a go. Not sure the bearing of the firing point to the targets relative to n/nnw?

Hi Les. The range runs almost directly North to South. Looks like the wind will be coming from behind on Sunday, possibly slightly from behind/right for a while. We'll need to allocate you a parking space near the hut for you to get that lump of metal to the firing point .

Hi Les. The range runs almost directly North to South. Looks like the wind will be coming from behind on Sunday, possibly slightly from behind/right for a while. We'll need to allocate you a parking space near the hut for you to get that lump of metal to the firing point .

Nah make him walk Boys with new toys

Jealous me----------------------

I have been working out in my man gym ever since I got it :) . So not a problem to hump it any distance but would not like to use it on any 'run down' types of competition as would be a little out of breath.

Might bring up my backup heavy gun to Gelston tomorrow if it is too windy for the 6BR.

Stats - Calibre - 650mm . Bullet weight - 400 kgs. Barrel - 1 in 4 twist or smooth bore switch barrel. Powder - Viht N160.

Charge weight - 50 lbs. Mv - 1400 fps.

If anyone has two shire horses available near Gelston please drop me a line.

Cheers.

post-11148-0-41762600-1492277763_thumb.jpg

Might bring up my backup heavy gun to Gelston tomorrow if it is too windy for the 6BR.

Stats - Calibre - 650mm . Bullet weight - 400 kgs. Barrel - 1 in 4 twist or smooth bore switch barrel. Powder - Viht N160.

Charge weight - 50 lbs. Mv - 1400 fps.

If anyone has two shire horses available near Gelston please drop me a line.

Cheers.

Les,to take part is very Olympian,but with only a 4 shot group......no official laurel leaf recognition...but I now see the case against having to carry enough ammo for ten round strings to the firing point....

G

Les,to take part is very Olympian,but with only a 4 shot group......no official laurel leaf recognition...but I now see the case against having to carry enough ammo for ten round strings to the firing point....

G

There were 5 rounds (balls) available and the missing one is out of shot and is having the meplats pointed to test the theory in this new and exciting calibre.

Watch this space George.

The Navy found centuries ago that spherical was indeed the canonical best design for shot,at least in their ..err. ..cannons!

But I have been looking at the BR rules,and I can't actually see any prohibition on the use of chained grape shot-if so,you can determine the group size,and repeat it most every detail.

Alas,even so,you won't be able to get below calibre size,plus at least one link,and that will be giving too much leeway to the musket men.

No free rum ration !

G

Hi les, awesome ! When I saw this rifle at the last Benchrest I was amazed on the size.

How is it shooting? Can I have a go ! No just kidding.

Nick

Shot the 6BR heavy gun at Gelston yesterday in pretty windy conditions. The best group at 1000 yards I managed was 3.740 inches. So not too shabby and was very pleased with it. The other 3 groups were about what I expected from the 6BR in those conditions, namely in order, 10 inches/12 inches/7 inches and finally the 3 inch group. So with an aggregate of about 8 inches I was satisfied. Room for improvement I guess so will try it again at Diggle at the end of the month.

A 3.74 incher is pretty special.

Cheers Vince. The Baby Jesus must have been in a good mood when I shot that group! He obviously wasn't when I shot the others and varied the wind conditions during getting the shots off. See you at Diggle at the end of the month for the next 1000 yds benchrest shoot. Am hoping that Allan gets his new and shiny stock finished so more blingy shiny stuff on the firing point.

it was an excellent group les no doubt about it , given the conditions and the lack of load development ! mind in all fairness your knob was almost as big as the group :P:lol: ,good seeing you there and enjoyed the crack, hope you return soon

it was an excellent group les no doubt about it , given the conditions and the lack of load development ! mind in all fairness your knob was almost as big as the group :P:lol: ,good seeing you there and enjoyed the crack, hope you return soon

Speaks for itself I think!

post-11148-0-48025200-1492520014_thumb.jpg

Archived