my optisan 500 range finder has had it,i would like to know if all range finders are accurate out to four hundred yards at least.also want one as cheap as possible.the optisan cost £95 six years ago and has done well.

Was up the hill with a stalker who was using a hand held Leopold. It would not reliably range even out to 300 in the kind of misty conditions.

I have a cheapo job. Total crap.

Secondhand Leica ? +1 Bought some Leica binos about 10 years ago and the LRF was good, but would fail to range in some weather conditions

Bought new Geovids - absolutely incredible => performance and price. Ranges fast even in crap weather

The conclusion I am afraid is that this is one area where you get what you pay for. So best value is likely to be found with secondhand top brand kit.

As stated above, look out for a second hand Leica LRF.

You can get them for a cracking price if your patient.

Superb glass, reliable, accurate reading. What more could you ask for?!

Also they tend to range further than the distance that the model number denotes.

That cans be said for many other brands, which usually struggle to make the distance claimed!

As Chanonry says in adverse weather conditions it can take a couple of try's to get a reading.

I paid £150 for a LRF 1200 that was almost new!!

Good luck,

Joe

If you find a cache if used Leicas for 150 pounds, let me know. I'll take five! I bought a SIG KILO 3000 a couple of weeks back and have been pretty happy with it. (so far) I have ranged 17" steel targets out to 1450 yards. It's quick and the data matches my shooting buddy's Leica 1600 to within a yard or so across the full course of our canyon range.~Andrew

I have had Leicia LRF Binos which were awesome. The LRF mono units is really good and thats what sits in my kit bag at the moment. The optics are as good (IMHO) as the binos and the rangefinder is quick and accurate when compared against a Swarovski unit. You won't go wrong with Leicia kit but then the second hand prices reflect this! The thread I started

Monocular Range Finders 900m plus

may be of help not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Leica LRF 1600.

It'll range out beyond 1600 yds in good conditions, and has never failed me closer in. Great glass, almost betters the glass in my bins!

You can waste a lot of money on cheap LRFs. Buy a Leica and you'll not look back. On-board ballistic app is handy too.

I use a Leica LRF 1600.

It'll range out beyond 1600 yds in good conditions, and has never failed me closer in. Great glass, almost betters the glass in my bins!

You can waste a lot of money on cheap LRFs. Buy a Leica and you'll not look back. On-board ballistic app is handy too.

Plus 1 on this. I had bushnell range finders for years and hadn't much luck ranging past 600 yards. Bought the Leica 1600b last year and never looked back. Ranges to 1600 yards and the glass is fantastic.

Archived