22 replies to this topic

#1 Mauser3006

Mauser3006

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:I reload for .243 and 30-06

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

I've got rats in my shed where I keep most of my food.  So far they haven't found their way in to any of my boxes, but have made a howling mess of the place spilling grass seed everywhere and crapping all over everything!  Infuriatingly they aren't taking any of the poison that I have laid (off the shelf stuff from B+Q - probably rubbish). Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting rid of the blighters? 

You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilization from barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass.         John Buchan

UKV Topic First Post Banner (sys)

#2 Tikka4Sika

Tikka4Sika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

I've got rats in my shed where I keep most of my food.  So far they haven't found their way in to any of my boxes, but have made a howling mess of the place spilling grass seed everywhere and crapping all over everything!  Infuriatingly they aren't taking any of the poison that I have laid (off the shelf stuff from B+Q - probably rubbish). Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting rid of the blighters? 

.308 , its the only way :)

#3 Tikka4Sika

Tikka4Sika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

Seriously keep baiting them or get in there with a JRT , block off any holes that you can , also lock your cat in there if possible.

#4 Gluv

Gluv

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Shooting,Fishing

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like a job for a Jack Russell

#5 Orka Akinse

Orka Akinse

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

Move out the source of their interest albeit temporary and trap.

#6 srvet

srvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Everything that goes bang, pop or fizz

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

That is so not true....... I find the 22/250 works well too!

#7 stillair1

stillair1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

I've  had  some  success  with  fenn  traps  in  confined  areas, though  mind  your  fingers if  your  new  to  using  them. Our  tabby  cat  makes  short  work  of  any  hard  core rats  that  I've  missed  with  the  nv/air  around  the  chicken  run. 

#8 simonl

simonl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Buy 6 traps. Leave them in the shed for a few days, near the perimeter.

Then bait them with peanut butter, but do not set them.

Then set them all one night.

Other option is a dustbin (with optional water in the bottom) & a tipping platform, baited at the end. Use a small magnet to add a sudden (not progressive) tip.

#9 GT3_richy

GT3_richy

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Pest control, deer stalking, LR targets, cars, PC gaming

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:46 AM

Another vote for traps and peanut butter. And some good airgun sport with NV/thermal :)

#10 andybrock

andybrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Fox Shooting
    Re Loading
    Man City
    Guinness
    Beer
    Pies

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

First of all you will need to remove their food source, then get some bait down. Once the bait been eaten keep replenishing it until they have stopped feeding on it. (this is vital to do)
All off the shelf bait will work its just takes time as rats and mice will need to feed on the bait several times to build up a lethal dose of the active ingredient.
If you decide to use fenn or any other trap make an artifical tunnel around the inside perimeter of the shed to place the trap in, rats like to explore.
Rats have whats called Neophobia which makes them wary of anything new so it could take a while to get rid of them with traps.
Once they've gone then you will obviously need to find their entry point and make it good because you can bet your life others will find your shed.
Why have a six pack when you can have a gallon?

http://www.thepestcontrolman.com

#11 247sniper

247sniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Muay Thai kick boxing, Martial arts, Rifles, Guns, Gun smithing, Hunting, Archery, Fishing Engineering/Machining, Ballistics, Aerospace CCGT systems.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Night vision and air rifles.

#12 simonl

simonl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

if you can't remove all sources of food from the area then forget baiting

#13 maximus otter

maximus otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Knocking small holes in small objects *waaaaaay* over there.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Reload shotgun cartridges with long grain rice instead of lead shot and get in amongst them, you girl!

maximus otter

"Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws."

Publius Cornelius Tacitus

#14 dave thorniley

dave thorniley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:mainly foxing and occasional deer, collecting wood for my stove shooting in general and my dog ghyll.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

I, send my wife round she will scare them away she scares the s%t out of me lol ive put traps down  for rats in my wood store as above be patient and let them feed on bait  then set the trap it works every time

#15 Mark Jones

Mark Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Clay shooting, stalking, pest control, mechanics

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Chocolate spread on fenn trap, no need to cover if shed is secure, otherwise make a wooden tunnel

#16 Mauser3006

Mauser3006

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

Great advice. 308 and rice loaded shotgun it is then!
You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilization from barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass.         John Buchan

#17 gunner

gunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  • Interests:shooting long range steel & vermin. reloading. My black lab called RED. road riding- sportive / charity rides . Guns in general. Blank firing replica pistol collector . Biker & shooter for life, Internet jockeys annoy me :) ...

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Buy 6 traps. Leave them in the shed for a few days, near the perimeter.

Then bait them with peanut butter, but do not set them.

Then set them all one night.

Other option is a dustbin (with optional water in the bottom) & a tipping platform, baited at the end. Use a small magnet to add a sudden (not progressive) tip.

I like this idea , i seen recently a YooTube vid on a scissor trap , it is pretty ruthless but needs to be done properly and ideally set in a way theres only 1 way to the bait . A few of these set up would work very well id think . Atb

may the wind blow light and your groups shoot tight ... 

#18 sonic

sonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Foxing, Rugby, Game shooting,

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

I used to work on a 24,000 bird poulty farm. As you can imagine we had a few rats. Bait is useless unless all other food is removed, bait only ever went after feed troughs were empty. fenn traps or nipper type work but leaving them unset but baited as already said is the way to go.

What hasn't been mentioned but if still available is Tracking dust, a powdered poison. Rats are not the filthy animals most people think, they spend alot of time grooming. Which is where the Tracking dust works, you sprinkle it on the runs the rats ingest it by cleaning themselves. 

The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after.

King George VI

#19 Foxshooter

Foxshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Interests:Shooting (obviously) and retro video games
    Traditional Ip Man Wing Chun

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

See if you can get DRAT poison from your supplier.  Its an  oil so that you can mix it with whatever they are currently feeding on rather than introduce a different food source that they might not find palatable.  Its very good stuff, I used to make it for a living lol

Mark

My karma ran over your dogma

#20 Mauser3006

Mauser3006

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Mark. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users