.308 buying advice

Really want a .308 that I have a space for on my ticket for trips to Bisley etc.

I'm not got a huge budget say £700, it needs to be able to have a bit of fun on the very odd occasion at 1000yds - but thats maybe once a year.

Rest of its life it'll be at 600 I guess.

Now I'm not a fan of the Howas, heard very mixed reports - and the one I've fired left a lot to be desired.

So where do I spend my money, I like a nice action so Tikka or Sako seem to be in the price range used.

Or do I buy a Remmy and build it as I go.

Seen some Ruger M77s and a Savage - in that price range, but I really want it to be accurate and a long term buy.

I've got the cash and the slot - burning a hole in my pocket.

What do I do?

Spencer,

I wouldn't even consider a sporting rifle, if you are only ever going to use it on a range, get a rifle designed for that. There are dozens of old target rifles such as Musgraves, Swings, Paramounts and Omarks etc that even with worn barrels will out perform most new sporting rifles if you are considering 600 -1000 yards. Just make sure they are drilled and tapped for scope bases. If you ask around at Bisley or any clubs in your area that shoot fullbore you will certainly find someone looking to sell such a rifle or shops such as Fultons stock rifles that would meet your needs, although most of their stock commands a higher price than your budget. If you can find a used Savage FTR rifle that would also be a good candidate. To be of any use at 1000 yards other than plinking, you really need a 28" barrel minimum in a 308.

Richard.

Spencer,

You do not say if your budget is for the rifle only? Not withstanding this in addition to the refuels already suggested have a look at the new CZ 557 'Varmint' which comes in 308 with 2 x 10 round metal magazines. Handled one at a local RFD and they are feel 'just right. CZ's normally shoot to. Think is was around £700-800?

Brgds Terry

If you are going down the budget rifle then upgrade route, then the best way to go would be the Remington 700 or Tikka T3, simply because they have a much wider range of stocks, triggers and scope rails available for them. Within your price bracket, this really pushes you towards the Remington. Although it will have a crappy plastic stock and a meh trigger, it will get you shooting. The 26" barrel will get you to 1000 yards, but as others have said it is less than ideal.

By the time you have upgradded to a decent stock and trigger, you will probably be £1,500 in. Add a stainless match barrel in a decent length and maybe blueprinting, you will be well north of £2000. But it will still be 'just' a Remington.

My Remington is only part way down this route, but I enjoyed it immensely. If I was doing the upgrade route again, unquestionably I would choose a Tikka. But knowing what I know now, instead I would patiently save a little each month, until I had enough cash for a really decent factory or custom rifle.

In the same situation as yourself I picked up good second hand Remington 700PSS. Worked up a good load and it shoots 1/2 moa on a good day (meaning me having a good day). Haven't shot it further than 500 so can't comment regarding 1000, but hoping to have a play at some point.

26" barell, stock has aluminium bedding, H&S precison made them (I think), so one of Remingtons better factory stocks.

Anyway, very pleased with it for the money.

A fellow I know has one of the above mentioned CZ's - very nice rifle, also performed well at 500.

Spencer

I have a nice Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic with a Timney trigger and 20 minute Ken Farrell scope base 26" barrel-shoots straight little groups

Send me your e mail address and I will send you some Piccies

Atb

Reecy

I found a Ruger stainless varmint 26" barrel with laminated stock in 308 last year that had very little use for £450. It shoots 155gr bullets in the x ring at 600yds, a great rifle.

Wait for the new 24" barrelled Ruger Precision, inbound as I type

Do you think that they will make a .223 version of the Ruger PR? Only ask because I will probably purchase a .223 bolt action next.

Thanks

Do you think that they will make a .223 version of the Ruger PR? Only ask because I will probably purchase a .223 bolt action next.

Thanks

+1 I love the shape and style of the Ruger PR. Despite not liking Ruger as a rule. Due to the poor quality of the 'standard' firearm. Which i've found to be crap. You have to then spend sometimes as much as the rifle itself just to get it to shoot, and handle properly.

Obviously not the Ruger PR though, from what I've been told!

The ruger is a fine rifle if people would accept it for what it is, and leave it alone.

Its a standing joke in the shop, and we took bets on how many parts of the standard gun, people wanted to change.

No one thought, it would be the entire gun.....yes, someone came in and wanted to actually change the ACTION. I was still laughing at Hometime.

The money that gets wasted on changing 3/4's of the gun would buy a decent semi custom rifle.

The ruger is a fine rifle if people would accept it for what it is, and leave it alone.

Its a standing joke in the shop, and we took bets on how many parts of the standard gun, people wanted to change.

No one thought, it would be the entire gun.....yes, someone came in and wanted to actually change the ACTION. I was still laughing at Hometime.

The money that gets wasted on changing 3/4's of the gun would buy a decent semi custom rifle.

I do appreciate what you mean :), there is very little left of my 10/22 other than the receiver and bolt - barrel, trigger, stock, firing pin and extractor have all been changed (could have bought another rifle for what I spent!). I have even been toying with the ideal of upgrading my Ruger American (.22LR), but an MDT stock would cost more than the rifle (a bit too steep).

On my Ruger PR I have only changed the bolt shroud for a Ti version and anything else will be replaced as and when needed (but then who doesn't like making them look different to all the others or even perform better!).

The reason for my original question was the next rifle (.223) was more than likely going to be a Remington 700 in an AX stock (but this can be an expensive route), but I would consider another Ruger PR if I could get a .223.

I bought a Tikka T3 Varmint in the end, Its going down the upgrade route as ans when I get the pennies.

Looking forward to giving it a try at Bisley next week.

Friend of mine has bought thr RPR/Vortex combo and that is excellent fun - his is the Gen II version with 20" barrel.

We were "hitting" Fig8 knock downs at 1100yds with it, but it was blowing a gale and wasn't easy.

24" barrelled Tikka Tac looks set to eclipse it and I might go down that way if it pans out.

I bought a Tikka T3 Varmint in the end, Its going down the upgrade route as ans when I get the pennies.

Looking forward to giving it a try at Bisley next week.

Friend of mine has bought thr RPR/Vortex combo and that is excellent fun - his is the Gen II version with 20" barrel.

We were "hitting" Fig8 knock downs at 1100yds with it, but it was blowing a gale and wasn't easy.

24" barrelled Tikka Tac looks set to eclipse it and I might go down that way if it pans out.

Good rifle. I have one in .308. Very accurate out of the box (24 inch version). CTR looks good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

The .223 RPR was announced yesterday and should be hitting these shores around July

The .223 RPR was announced yesterday and should be hitting these shores around July

Thank you Mark, is it a semi custom Remington (I already have a price from baldie with an MDT stock) or a Ruger PR next?? Something to think about until July.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived