Anschutz Match 64

pats1972

Just getting back into shooting 22lr, I had a Anschutz 14 Carbine a few years back and found it too light, I am looking to keep the costs down and have found a few Match 64's going cheapish, would it be possible to get the barrel slightly cut down and threaded for moderator as its going to be used mainly for rabbits with eley subs, I am at Wigan but will travel, what are the costs involved and would it be worth it in the end? Thanks in advance, Tony

I did have for a few years a Anchutz Match 54 that was "sporterised" with the barrel cut down to 16 inches and screw cut for a moderator - shot very well and loss count of how many bunnies its harvested over the years.

It really loved the Eley Match EPS. , bit expensive but when testing in "good" conditions at 75 and 100yds , you soon see what you pay the extra for!! (in my case that is).

raizor ;)

FGYT you didn't read my post, I said id had one in the past, the thumbhole version and found it too light even with an ACE Ultra moderator on it

Sorry read the bit about cutting the barrel

A light gun isn't a problem as you can always add weight . Heavy guns are more difficult to lighten

You could channel under the barrel and add a lead bar etc

I always build as light as possible as add weight if needed and trim the balance

I have a 1517 in 17hmr 14" yes was far to light in the thumbhole stock but I fitted a AI folding chassis (home made ) and that added the right amount of heft in the right place its still short and sits solid and firm.

Hi,,,,my experience with cut down Annie match barrels is that you are removing some measure of restriction that was at the muzzle end,,,its not much but have found it just detectable by pushing an air rifle pellet down the tube and then being aware of a very slight tightening feel toward the last inch or so.I have experienced this in the five match barrels/rifles that I have had in my possession over the years....I have also experienced and done the same test on other annie barrels that have been cut down and screw cut 1/2x20,,,and this can actually open up the bore ,,,again felt by pushing a pellet down the tube and feeling a detectable slackness at the point where it had been cut down and screw cut.,,,This may not be true of all examples or a scientific test but I know what I felt.....especially in a more recent purchase of a cut down and screw cut "Biathlon" rifle,,,,accuracy had truly deteriorated from what would expect from an Anschutz barrel...!! The barrel was remachined,,,removing the threaded section and recrowned,,,a very close fitting threaded sleeve was made up and then fitted with a moderator,,,,expected accuracy had returned albeit without the help of the missing "choke" but match accuracy all the same{with match ammo},,,,,think I posted up some grouping on another post somewhere,s??

I know sleeving will raise some eyebrows but it worked for me and bore/mod alignment etc seems to be pretty damn straight,,,

Cutting and recrowning should not be too expensive but making up an accurate close fitting and threaded sleeve will take some relatively expensive lathe work,,???,,,,,,,,,,To be honest why not just get a Varmint CZ and put a steel mod on ,,that should be heavy enough??,,,Glad your intending to use Eley subs or similar as with short barrels regular ammo gets noisy even with a mod!,,,take care,,,,O

Archived