New Tactical Tikka

LONG RANGE CAPT

Did a search and found this on AR15.com

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/New-Factory-Magazine-For-Tikka-CTR--308/3-2764/&page=1

as suspected - The expensive TRG mag will work in the CTR - the cheaper CTR mag will NOT work in the TRG - straight from Beretta "customers support" - :wacko:

--------------------------My Email------------------------ 

I recently purchased a tikka ctr .308 rifle.(JRTC316) 

I believe this rifle originally used the 10 round magazine from the Sako TRG 22 .308. My rifle had a sticker on the box which said "new mag". I notice the magazine appears to have a different floor plate than the trg magazine. My serial number is XXXXXX. 

1. Where can I buy this "new" style magazine and is it any cheaper than the TRG 22 magazine? 
2. Will the TRG 22 magazines work with my rifle? 
3. Will the "new" style magazine that shipped with my rifle work in a TRG22? 
4. I filled out the tikka $150 rebate internet form, I have not received any information or response. How can I check the status of my rebate? 
Thanks. 
Jeremy 

-------------------Response----------------------------- 

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support. 
The TRG-22 magazine is indeed slightly different. 

1) On our website within the next few weeks. Part number: S54065122 - MSRP $149 
2) Yes they are directly compatible. 
3) No it is not compatible with a TRG-22 due to the difference in floorplates. 
4) You may check status here: http://berettasupport.com/applications/php_promo/promo_input_form.php When it has been fully processed, you will see a promotional code instead of "Pending" and you will receive an e-mail with instructions as to how to how to fulfill the code. 

Best regards, 

Beretta Customer Support 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

Who is they? do you have the link?

I agree the CTR mags look "TRG-ish" with a boot but I would be very surprised if rifle mags uk is selling TRG mags for £210

https://riflemags.co.uk/sako-trg-10-round-308-magazine-trg-22/

when they have 'interchangeable" CTR mags for £120

https://riflemags.co.uk/tikka-tac-a1-magazines/

more likely Beretta has added a widget to the CTR mags with no other purpose than to prevent usage in TRGs

i dont remember ive watched that many videos lol

When the CTR was first released they did use TRG magazines.  As you have identified Tikka swiftly added the huge plastic bottom plate that cannot be removed to prevent the use in the TRG. 

I have considered thing to find owners of original CTR’s who have the TRG magazines and seeing if they will swap for a new model. 

There is also the option of buying a KRG forend from the x-Ray chassis for the TRG. It hasn’t got a large magwell so allows the CTR magazine to seat. 

Scotch

Thank you for this - i was actually sat here with a TRG mag in my hand eyeballing CTR mags on the internet wondering if I could get the shoe off!

I like your trade in idea - you could buy CTR mags for £100 and offer them plus £20 to CTR owners as a swap for their TRG mag and everyone is a winner!

I did not know KRG did a TRG compatible forend - I have the KRG stock rear on mine - much better and cheaper than the oem version - how would you add this and would you loose the TRG mag length / long oal 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, Scotch_egg said:

When the CTR was first released they did use TRG magazines.  As you have identified Tikka swiftly added the huge plastic bottom plate that cannot be removed to prevent the use in the TRG. 

I have considered thing to find owners of original CTR’s who have the TRG magazines and seeing if they will swap for a new model. 

There is also the option of buying a KRG forend from the x-Ray chassis for the TRG. It hasn’t got a large magwell so allows the CTR magazine to seat. 

I believe the switch to the CTR specific mag came about due to the large Canadian contract for rifles for their "Rangers" (or whatever they were called), to replace their old issued Enfields.  The contract required a detachable 10 rd magazine, so when Tikka/Beretta submitted a rifle it was heavily based on the CTR, which at the time used TRG mags.  With that many rifles to be supplied (after they won the contract), and the booming sales of the CTR in the US, it makes sense that they came up with a mag that would be cheaper, but only work in the CTR based rifles.  I'm just surprised someone hasn't come up with a cheap replacement bottom mag plate to make the CTR mags work in the TRG (probably not enough volume to justify the cost would be my guess).

As for it being a cheap AI, I'd have to agree to some level; they certainly are nearly as smooth an action.  Since it also has the TRG two stage trigger, that comparison is moot as well.  I'd guess the big difference is the barrel intercangeability on the AI, and it's over robust action (that works every time, all the time).  Accuracy wise, they seem on par with each other.  All this being said, with the appearance of several companies now offering barrel nut Tikka replacement barrels, they (Tikka) may start taking a considerable bite out of the AI sales here in the US.  Hardest part on the Tikka is getting the OEM barrel off (I just made a relief cut on the OEM barrel to avoid the frustration, but not everyone has a lathe, or easy access to one).

Of note:  The Tikka A1 (aka "TicTac") will require the handguard bushing to be modified to accept the barel nut due to it's larger diameter.

The only thing I wish Tikka had done with the A1, was offer an AI style bolt handle.  I have one on a .223 Tikka Varmint, and it makes all the difference in the work when working the bolt without moving your head off the stock.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, MarinePMI said:

I believe the switch to the CTR specific mag came about due to the large Canadian contract for rifles for their "Rangers" (or whatever they were called), to replace their old issued Enfields.  The contract required a detachable 10 rd magazine, so when Tikka/Beretta submitted a rifle it was heavily based on the CTR, which at the time used TRG mags.  With that many rifles to be supplied (after they won the contract), and the booming sales of the CTR in the US, it makes sense that they came up with a mag that would be cheaper, but only work in the CTR based rifles.  I'm just surprised someone hasn't come up with a cheap replacement bottom mag plate to make the CTR mags work in the TRG (probably not enough volume to justify the cost would be my guess).

As for it being a cheap AI, I'd have to agree to some level; they certainly are nearly as smooth an action.  Since it also has the TRG two stage trigger, that comparison is moot as well.  I'd guess the big difference is the barrel intercangeability on the AI, and it's over robust action (that works every time, all the time).  Accuracy wise, they seem on par with each other.  All this being said, with the appearance of several companies now offering barrel nut Tikka replacement barrels, they (Tikka) may start taking a considerable bite out of the AI sales here in the US.  Hardest part on the Tikka is getting the OEM barrel off (I just made a relief cut on the OEM barrel to avoid the frustration, but not everyone has a lathe, or easy access to one).

Of note:  The Tikka A1 (aka "TicTac") will require the handguard bushing to be modified to accept the barel nut due to it's larger diameter.

The only think I wish Tikka had done with the A1, was offer an AI style bolt handle.  I have one on a .223 Tikka Varmint, and it makes all the difference in the work when working the bolt without moving your head off the stock.

I agree with you there...it's a bug bear of mine too.  I bought and fitted one of those squash-bal type over bolt handles on my T3 and may to the same with the Tic Tac (love the name!) as I find it helps and makes the bolt nicer to cycle.

Archived