New Tactical Tikka

LONG RANGE CAPT

The answer to that conundrum is in Andrew's profile summary - 'Location: Montana, USA'. The US importers of European manufactured 'Blacktical' rifles have been making it crystal clear for a couple of years at least that if you want to sell a rifle of this type in the US, it must be offered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

In hindsight, we can see now how come the Tikka T3x TAC-A1 has been such a badly kept secret and there has been so much uncertainty over 'whether' and 'when' it would go on sale. Tikka was obviously caught unprepared by the Creedmoor phenomenon and simply daren't risk launching the rifle until it had a Creedmoor version available. 18 months sounds about right to rush through the factory tooling, build some pre-production examples and test them to death with a variety of factory ammo to ensure they'd perform mechanically, ballsitically and precision-wise, also provide an acceptable barrel accuracy life, before launching the rifle at last month's SHOT Show.

Since the appearance of the Ruger PR, I count six more large factory manufactured bolt-action Blactical rifles launched in the USA, plus Victrix and Sabatti which appear so far to be Europe only. All nine are offered in 6.5 Creedmoor. That's aside from the US custom / semi-custom people like McMillan and GAP and semi-auto AR-10 types.

The questions for those here who yearn for a T3x in the calibre are 1) where do we stand commercially in relation to the huge US market, or realistically we'll be at least second in the queue if not further down, but how far down and for how long before non US demands are met? 2) Is Tikka aware that there is a European interest in the cartridge too, that it's not entirely American? 3) Ditto for our importer / distributor? (If being really cruel, some would amend Q3 to ask has our importer / distributor's employees even heard of the 6.5 Creedmoor?)

Incidentally, interesting to see that Ruger and Hornady aren't standing still with 243 Win now dropped from the RPR and replaced by a new 6mm Creedmoor model with a barrel fully optimised for the new Hornady 108gn ELD-Match loading in the 6 mill variant. I don't suppose the manufacturers of 243 are losing any sleep with 60 years' worth of momentum, but if it catches on, smaller semi-wildcat numbers may disappear - Robert Whitley's 6mm Super LR, David Tubb's 6XC and suchlike.

Short Guns & Ammo video of veteran American gunwriter (and retired USMC colonel) Craig Boddington testing the new 6mm RPR and Hornady factory ammo.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tv/ruger-6mm-creedmoor-precision-rifle/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to note that it's marketed as a "Long Range" rifle, but with standard T3 barrel lengths (twists and, presumably, chamberings in .308) plus flat picatinny. Style over substance? I like it, but as already said, you could get a similar result with an MDT chassis or something like the Whiskey or X-Ray chassis. I welcome the improved mags though. Why we can't have a decent metal lipped mag on the standard T3 I don't know.

Incidentally, interesting to see that Ruger and Hornady aren't standing still with 243 Win now dropped from the RPR and replaced by a new 6mm Creedmoor model with a barrel fully optimised for the new Hornady 108gn ELD-Match loading in the 6 mill variant. I don't suppose the manufacturers of 243 are losing any sleep with 60 years' worth of momentum, but if it catches on, smaller semi-wildcat numbers may disappear - Robert Whitley's 6mm Super LR, David Tubb's 6XC and suchlike.

Short Guns & Ammo video of veteran American gunwriter (and retired USMC colonel) Craig Boddington testing the new 6mm RPR and Hornady factory ammo.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tv/ruger-6mm-creedmoor-precision-rifle/

That should be one potent rifle from Ruger - for those who aren't obsessed with barrel-life.

Can't wait to get that new Lapua Creedmore brass and neck it down to 6mm.

That should be one potent rifle from Ruger - for those who aren't obsessed with barrel-life.

Can't wait to get that new Lapua Creedmore brass and neck it down to 6mm.

I've got to say I was a lot more impressed watching the video than I'd expected. Controllable / Low recoil? In spades! It might be (ha, what a joke!) that the budget RPR in 6mm Creed form might be the model to get for the US PRS production class, not the much more expensive Tikka. At $1,399 MRSP, that lets people put a scope of up to $1,600 MRSP on top and stay within the $3,000 price ceiling.

Noted too the factory rounds appeared to have much more annealing 'bluing' on the shoulder / top of the body than other Hornady cases I've used. I've often thought the company doesn't anneal its brass properly compared to Lapua.

Well. I can vouch for the Tikka's accuracy in 6.5CM. This past weekend I shot mine out to 700 and was hitting ridiculously small targets using the new Nosler 140 grain RDF bullet over H4350. Accuracy is top notch for both rifle and bullet.~Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I have been told to list RRP at £1880 but 1650 ish is probably realistic. I have been shooting one for a few days and Baldie had a peep at it yesterday too. I have a 20" in 308 as I wasn't messing about with no supplied Ammo in Creedmoor but that will of course be the go-to option for most. It's nicer than I was expecting and knocks the RPR for dead quite frankly

I have been told to list RRP at £1880 but 1650 ish is probably realistic. I have been shooting one for a few days and Baldie had a peep at it yesterday too. I have a 20" in 308 as I wasn't messing about with no supplied Ammo in Creedmoor but that will of course be the go-to option for most. It's nicer than I was expecting and knocks the RPR for dead quite frankly

Is it as short as it looks as I'm a bit tall and need a long lop?

Ian

What strikes me, once I get past the tacticool, is that the rifle combines a stock at 'normal' height (relative to the axis of the bore) with loads of picatinny on an AR foreend; a forend combination that will prevent a scope objective going anywhere near the barrel.

Unless the axis of the stock is moved onto the axis of the bore (a la AR, a la Ruger), the foreend and picatinny are 'in the way', and that cheekpiece will always be cranked to max, to reach a scope that'll be maintaining a low earth orbit above the rifle.

- Not necessarily a problem, but not particularly desirable either.

[PS: The FinnAccuracy clip, the opening TI sequence of the chap popping up out of a trench looks like the chap NDs (?) !]

I'm struggling here. Nice rifle though it is....what does it actually provide that a standard T3 in a KRG or GRS stock won't? (ok, bar the additional Picatinny). It strikes me that the disadvantages highlighted above actually would make this a worse choice, unless I'm missing something...other than buying the stocks and rifles separately are going to be more expensive (but not by much).

You have a fair point and I wonder if Tikka will hold off the I tradition of the varmint and super varmint 260 and 6.5 as a result. I would go the route you suggest but I don't fancy a 3 month wait for a Whiskey 3 and I can't thoil £1250 for a Bolthorn.

Played with the T3 tac at the IWA, thoughts were that it falls in between an AI AT which is a much better if heavier rifle and a T3 in a E Tac stock, again better, lighter and uses AICS mags. That said the T3 tac did handle better than it looks and I guess will sell a load in the USA for PRS to people let on a budget. The rifle was getting a lot more attention at the IWA than the m10 Sako when I was at the stand anyway.

Well, still haven't got to actually shoot this, but with well over a year of pulling bits together and begging favours, I finally put these bits together last week.

Low scope, high bipod (ie both fairly close to the axis of the bore). It has the same heart, but I think it looks significantly more ergonomic.(Hope I'm right!)

post-1450-0-20209000-1489236419_thumb.jpg

BD, That is what the T3 should have been but everyone now thinks a rifle has to have an AR style forend to be 'Tacticool'.

You just need to shoot it.......

Soon, but still rather distracted!

The tactical has the advantage, I suppose, of being turn-key; but it's a bit of a camel to my eye. That said, with a T3 heart, I s'pose you can't really lose either way

(whichever, I have to say, looking at my own pic, I think gold scope rings are going to be the new must have!)

Archived