New Tactical Tikka

LONG RANGE CAPT

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Americans have been shouting and screaming for 6.5 Creedmoor chambered T3x CTRs and there has been more than a degree of confusion over the company's approach as far as I can see,

First a large US supplier said he had them, then apparently he didn't. Now they are apparently available, but people wanting 6.5 CTRs in Europe are being told 'US deliveries only' ..... or so it is being said. (Rumour and fact are difficult to separate here.)

Meanwhile .... the sometime in the future arrival of the TAC A1 model in whatever chambering must be one of the worst kept non-launches around with photos appearing all over the place, but nobody knowing if / when / if ever it'll actually appear, never mind in what chambering.

The one certain thing is that some examples have been doing the rounds in the USA and pre-ordering levels are reportedly very high over there, so as with Creedmoor chambered CTRs, it may be a long wait here in the UK even if and when Tikka comes clean on when it'll release this version.

Since it is SHOT Show this week in Las Vegas, maybe Sako/Tikka will officially launch the rifle at last and clarify things. ..... or maybe not, as people hoped that was going to happen during SHOT 2016.

Mike,

Tacticool rifles are becoming like cars - all the same, just a different badge!

T

Or like they used to do with cars back in the 80s - a few go-faster stripes, bolt-on rear spoiler, tachometer and oil pressure gauge added to the dash 'Rostyle' wheels, and a new carburettor for an extra 5 BHP and you transformed a family plodder into 'a rally car', or not as the case usually was! :)

Or like they used to do with cars back in the 80s - a few go-faster stripes, bolt-on rear spoiler, tachometer and oil pressure gauge added to the dash 'Rostyle' wheels, and a new carburettor for an extra 5 BHP and you transformed a family plodder into 'a rally car', or not as the case usually was! :)

No idea what a 'Rostyle' wheels are, but i get your drift Laurie! :lol:

Just looked up 'Rostyle' wheels. I can't make my mind up if they're mild or mature cheese!.... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

TikkaTAC-T3-660x167.png

One thing I note on these is they use the Tikka T3 CTR mags, which are basically TRG mags with a polymer bumper fitted.

Tikka-S57465173.jpg

Being for the TRG they are well made double stack affairs but also an eye watering £150 a pop, when you can actually get hold of them :blink:

One US test review confirmed the TikkaT3X TAC1A legal for the new PRS Production Class (Max $2000 rifle,Max scope $1000, scope/rifle Max $3000),with a MSRP of $1899. That's still variably more than the RugerPR,of course,or the other contenders from Bergara (6.5 CM) $1699; Howa HCR Modular $12899 (in 223 ,243,6.5CM); Weatherby Vanguard Mod Chassis $1519 (223,6.5,308:and Winchester XPC .

That Tikka price includes 3 magazines,which certainly helps if its 'standard',folding stock,threaded muzzle (and brake?) 260R,6.5CM,308W 16,20,24"barrels.

gbal

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that a rifle aimed at the long range / precision crowd comes with a flat picatinny rail

Annoying, really. I bought my T3x CTR in 6.5 CM and immediately had to order a $60 20MOA rail. After a few shots i forgot to be angry about it. ;) ~Andrew

Apparently there is a 30MOA rail as an option for the Tac A1. But yes annoying it doesn't come with 20/30MOA as standard.

It's already been hinted above, however if people where in the market for a new 6.5CM. What off the shelf version would you go for and why? Out of:

Tikka T3X Tac A1

Ruger precision Rifle

Howa HCR

Winchester XPC

Bergara B14 HMR / BMP

Out of:

Tikka T3X Tac A1

Ruger precision Rifle

Howa HCR

Winchester XPC

Bergara B14 HMR / BMP

My choice would be:

1. Tikka

2. Bergara

2a. Sabatti (omitted from your list)

3. Howa

4. Ruger

5. Winchester

Annoying, really. I bought my T3x CTR in 6.5 CM and immediately had to order a $60 20MOA rail. After a few shots i forgot to be angry about it. ;) ~Andrew

Andrew, how did you manage to get a CTR in 6.5CM as they only list 260 and 308 on the website unless I'm not looking at it right?

Andrew also managed to get a 223 T3 with 1/10 twist....the bugger..

edi

Is there a possibility they will produce a .223? For my next purchase I was considering an ACIS stocked Remington 700; but a Tikka T3x TAC A1or even a Ruger PR in .223 (if they produced one [wonder why not?] would be a possibility.

Is there a possibility they will produce a .223? For my next purchase I was considering an ACIS stocked Remington 700; but a Tikka T3x TAC A1or even a Ruger PR in .223 (if they produced one [wonder why not?] would be a possibility.

Not sure if they'll do anything in 223, we'll see at the IWA. The CTR mag is only for the 308 family and Tikka doesn't seem to have a decent 223 mag. We had a floor plate made to replace the CTR floor plate but uses AICS type mags, 223 or 308 sizes, is now available from Atlasworx. This is however only a replacement for stocks with a CTR bottom footprint.

edi

Andrew, how did you manage to get a CTR in 6.5CM as they only list 260 and 308 on the website unless I'm not looking at it right?

I walked into a local shop and bought it last fall. They have another at the moment. You must be looking at the wrong place.

My t-3 223 with the 1-10" twist is a stainless Lite. Shoots quarter inch. Wonderful rifle.~Andrew

Archived