Silencerco SWR Radius

Never heard of these, just had a google. Found this interesting: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/09/tyler-kee/gear-review-silencerco-radius/

Two things leapt out at me, both relating to collimation, and would apply to any weapon mounted lrf: Firstly, how do you collimate it and how do you know it remains collimated and, secondly, you have to remember to return your scope to the elevation setting that was used to collimate it in order to take a reading.

Never heard of these, just had a google. Found this interesting: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/09/tyler-kee/gear-review-silencerco-radius/

Two things leapt out at me, both relating to collimation, and would apply to any weapon mounted lrf not 'in the scope': Firstly, how do you collimate it and how do you know it remains collimated and, secondly, you have to remember to return your scope to the elevation setting that was used to collimate it in order to take a reading.

Bd, both of your points are valid from experience with the CRS laser and it is the nature of the beast. What should develop is blue-tooth so the display and power switch can be detached from the unit giving much better mounting options and the units should become smaller. Newcon have a mil-spec thing but about 4k.

Osok, really looking forward to your review. Try Mark at Fmj Firearms, he may have one as he was keen - he saw the Radius on a Finnish rifle at last year's comp.

Hi All , My reason for wanting a unit like this was only for shooting at night with NV . Being able to use a rangefinder that i can see the laser through the PVS rather than assume that the laser is ranging 2 inches left and 2 inches low of my cross hair seems to tick all my needs and takes out the element of guess work .

The SWR has such a small beam divergence of 0.55 Mil x 1.85 Mil at 100m which for the cost of the unit is small and not too different to my PLRF's at 0.3 Mil x 1.5 Mil . To put a prospective to the divergence , Vector 23's run at 0.3 Mil x 0.3 Mil and Leica HDB's run 1.5 Mil x 2.7 Mil

Obviously the divergence then continues to get larger the further you range . The SWR would equal a beam covering just over two sheets of A4 paper side by side in length at 500m .

BD, I've not seen a review that has been using the rangefinder as i Intend , one said that the laser moved after being sighted in which in daylight wouldn't be great but for me all i would need to do is set the SWR to continuous and once the laser is seen through the NV on the Fox or even covering it that's your distance . Here's hoping I've not missed something obvious that's going to shatter my hopes .

ds1 , I'll post anything i learn when i get and try the unit out as I've looked at the Newcon and the Wilcox Rapter options but their alot more money and won't cover my needs any better than the SWR .

Incisor , I hope the guy you know posts as i'd be interested to chat to him .

I'll keep you all posted on how it works .

Regards

Greg

Hi All , My reason for wanting a unit like this was only for shooting at night with NV . Being able to use a rangefinder that i can see the laser through the PVS rather than assume that the laser is ranging 2 inches left and 2 inches low of my cross hair seems to tick all my needs and takes out the element of guess work .

The SWR has such a small beam divergence of 0.55 Mil x 1.85 Mil at 100m which for the cost of the unit is small and not too different to my PLRF's at 0.3 Mil x 1.5 Mil . To put a prospective to the divergence , Vector 23's run at 0.3 Mil x 0.3 Mil and Leica HDB's run 1.5 Mil x 2.7 Mil

Obviously the divergence then continues to get larger the further you range . The SWR would equal a beam covering just over two sheets of A4 paper side by side in length at 500m .

BD, I've not seen a review that has been using the rangefinder as i Intend , one said that the laser moved after being sighted in which in daylight wouldn't be great but for me all i would need to do is set the SWR to continuous and once the laser is seen through the NV on the Fox or even covering it that's your distance . Here's hoping I've not missed something obvious that's going to shatter my hopes .

ds1 , I'll post anything i learn when i get and try the unit out as I've looked at the Newcon and the Wilcox Rapter options but their alot more money and won't cover my needs any better than the SWR .

Incisor , I hope the guy you know posts as i'd be interested to chat to him .

I'll keep you all posted on how it works .

Regards

Greg

I use an Armasight AMRF mounted on my Drone Pro for ranging at night and use it in exactly the way you are suggesting, you can see where the laser is splashing so you should have no problem with collimation errors or whatever it's called, plus the ranges aren't that great anyway.

It's great for knowing exactly how far a target is, sometimes they are a lot closer than you think and it does it give you extra confidence for those longer shots.

Hi Anthony , That looks a nice unit but expensive at $2,500 . Using NV and thermal alone from the top of a truck relies on foxes moving across your arc of fire and when you move position due to their routine distances change and your bearings can be lost . These type of units seem a god send to me as I'm not a ' Give it some over the shoulder ' type of shooter .

If I'm reading the spec right It says the AMRF has a beam divergence of 0.5 Mil x 3.0 Mil at 100m which would indicate a long thin ish laser seen , Is that what your seeing approx 1.72 inches x 10.3 inches give or take ?

Greg

Hi Anthony , That looks a nice unit but expensive at $2,500 . Using NV and thermal alone from the top of a truck relies on foxes moving across your arc of fire and when you move position due to their routine distances change and your bearings can be lost . These type of units seem a god send to me as I'm not a ' Give it some over the shoulder ' type of shooter .

If I'm reading the spec right It says the AMRF has a beam divergence of 0.5 Mil x 3.0 Mil at 100m which would indicate a long thin ish laser seen , Is that what your seeing approx 1.72 inches x 10.3 inches give or take ?

Greg

I bought mine on eBay for $1450.

I am not sure about the size but the laser splash is about half the length of a fox at 400 yards side on. It has a huge range, I have seen ranges of over 2000 metres on reflective targets.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just returned from the tunnel having mounted the Radius and using the Reflective dot and target your given It was simple to zero in , my unit when mounted was 70mm Low and 63mm Left of my crosshair . When you switch on the visable laser even on a bright target board it was easily seen to enable you to walk the laser on using the windage and elevation dials . Not used it in anger as yet but the reading to the target board said 100 yards so that's a good start :D

OSOK

SWR%20Radius%202_zpsakjoj3tb.jpg

SWR%20Radius%201_zps07whbmhm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

Had my Radius a while now. Only used twice.

My opinion of it as of last night.... heap of utter *}|'. Wouldn't hold "zero", not ranging accurately etc.

Mounted it today and actually tightened the Allen screw once I attached it and moved the throw lever... BINGO!

First time range returns on targets out to 769m. I'm sure it could range much further but that was my farthest target today.

Hell Yeah!

There was a little play in the unit.

I was throwing the lever but not further tightening the Allen screw at the centre of the throw lever.

Sorted the play out

Mine seems to be within 1 or 2 yards of the PLRF's out to 648 yards which was as far as i could range from where i was . I've ordered a couple of snap on type lens caps off eBay for the front lens as I couldn't wait for the place in the US that i bought from to send any if the rangefinder itself was to go by .

Even though I've not used mine yet with the PVS which is my sole reason for having it I'm still pleased with how It's working .

OSOK

Archived