thermal monocular

dave thorniley

hi, im after some words of wisdom, im looking at buying a thermal hand held monocular, or likewise but I don't have £thousands to spend I,d just like some advise on what make to look for, so what do you guys think any help would be grateful cheers dave

Stick with Pulsar new or second hand and you won't be disapointed. I still use one of the original HD38, must have had it about 5 years now and still going strong.

Great kit for foxing or just seeing who's about, couldn't be with out it now.

+1 on what Andy says.

I've been using the hd38s for 3-4 years great bit of kit.

Keep thinking to upgrade to the new model but struggle to justify the expense for little gain over what I already use.

Running the lowest mag new pulsar .... fantastic so fast cuts out endless driving around u will be shocked how many more rabbits are on your Permission to when u first look through it! I think advantage of the higher magnification units is easier identification but if u just want a spotting tool the low mag one is ample

Running the lowest mag new pulsar .... fantastic so fast cuts out endless driving around u will be shocked how many more rabbits are on your Permission to when u first look through it! I think advantage of the higher magnification units is easier identification but if u just want a spotting tool the low mag one is ample

I use a low spec 1x mag FLIR for foxing and deer. Many will say that the refresh rate is too low and the range (supposedly 300m is inadequate. However for farmland foxing and spotting deer in woodland it is great due to the wide field of view. I have spotted red deer on open ground at 7-800m with ease. I have heard of a lot of Pulsar units going back for warranty repairs but this FLIR seems pretty simple and bomb proof. At the end of the day all I need to know is where the hotspots are in the environment so that the final ID can be made using binoculars or the Drone Pro

I'm sure the Pulsar is an excellent unit, I have used a friend's pulsar and it was a revelation, an awesome capability, but the OP did specify he didn't have £K to spend on this. What is achievable with a budget lower than the Pulsar range?

I'd be very interested as it was an amazing piece of kit, but far too much £££ for my budget/usage.

Thermal prices are pretty much directly related to the range you want to see your targets at and invesely with the size of the target.

So, small target at long range = £thousands

Big target at short range = £hundreds

If you want to be able to positively identify a fox at 200 yards then you will be paying £thousands

If you want to detect a large fallow deer at short range in woodland then you'll get away with something for under £1K.

Cheers

Bruce

Archived