- muzzle break.

Noisy? (Especially, if it's not you using one, but you're shooting next door to a user as the blast and noise go sideways!)

You've asked a rather 'open' question. What rifle, cartridge, and purpose?

There are lots of brakes out there, some better than others as with any mechanical product, and some uses are inappropriate - for instance, they're banned in some competition disciplines.

Got one on my AX 308.

What's it like, great recoil reduction so I like shooting it from that perspective. It is NOISY so I HAVE to double plug.

gbal's opinion is also interesting here as he is often 15 ' to the left ! Suspect he has a different perspective (sic) ...

Pretty anti social really, I tend to put the mod on after a wee while. Wouldn't put one on another barrel, but hey that's just me.

A muzzle brake will almost always reduce felt/actual recoil,and sound louder,and maybe blow up dust, at those to the side,especially-big stuff,like 338 is actually pretty unpleasant for anyone trying to shoot alongside-as Laurie says,often banned for that reason,and no a 338 on each side does not balance out!!

308 isn't an issue-ear defenders and fixable hat will keep you OK-though one super rear V tank inspired design was genuinely ferocious.

Design matters a bit-'pepper pot'-holes all round -cough up dust,sideways vents only don't -and tend to be more effective anyhow-especialy if slanted back a tad-reverse thrust,sort of...and might even delay/spread fractionally the inevitable Newtonian 'equal and opposite reaction.

Good rearV moderators are a more sociable alternative-clearly reduce noise rather than emphasise it,and can be pretty good recoil reducers....

There is a good series of reviews of brakes (mainly) on Precision Rifle Blog-informative wrt design and perhaps surprising differences in efficiency (if blowing away your pals can be considered a symptom of friendship...:-)

Not so sure the combined brake/screw on mods can be efficiently additive,but offer a convenience for swapping beween ,at some price-though it's the removal of the brake that is the more inconvenient-especially if recoil reduction is adequate with just the moderator......

...but there is some choice-and pal friendly option!

All the usual about calibre etc,but brakes do what it shouts out on the tin.

g-can you speak up-bal

OK fellas it's for a 6.5x55 to be used on ranges that allow them.

My thinking was that it would save burning my mod out for which I'd use for plinking /vermin on private grounds.

My original question was about the particular brand of break, quality etc.

I know what a break does lol.

Thank you for the reply though, very informative as always:)

Cheers

Danny.

Ah apologies all, I've just noticed the heading " muzzle break" was meant to say the brand name too but won't let me write it.....begins with V from Norway I think.

Again sorry fellas:(

Cheers

Danny.

PR blog should help this new phrasing of your question

Sorry I didn't quite get it the first time,my ears are not what they used to be! :-)

As it happens I have a pepper pot on a 6.5x55 AI,but 20lb weight pretty well kills recoil anyhow.

And you will know how well a good mod tames that cartridge in a sporter-the brake won't wear out so fast,and is cheaper.

Useful item to have,for boltknob money.

g

Danny- does Vaime ring a bell ? not that ringing in your ears are what we want with these!

I have an old-but efficient enough moderator in 308-and indeed,a Vaime brake,which was some help-though I didn't use it once the mod was compared-without proper equipment,it's hard to sort out similar designs-other than by general feel on shoulder.

The then Tikka importer(JLS? with tech man Ivan) stocked them,though I have not seen any retailed for many years.Like many,except the out and out peppers,it would need to be timed (and it certainly caused some torque when it wasn't-so it did work),a crush washer would probably do,at little expense...might have a play-if the thread fits anything....

gbal

Gbal it's the company affiliated with THLR. Does this help?

Danny.

Yes,as above... so let's play .ARTICULATE...sylables:

1) french for green

2) equals mc squared

3) small scottish hillside,though Paps of Glencoe would need a huge one

g

Gbal it's the company affiliated with THLR. Does this help?

Danny.

Yes, won't print-'response too fast'-talk about a 'knee jerk response'

Perhaps a non horizontal backbone is needed.

sorry for the repeated non replies....now replaced by games....no idea why V ......... is being censored...

There is an outfit in Boise, Idaho called Muzzle Brakes and More (M.B.M) that makes a fantastic, self indexing brake. I put one on my Ruger RPR and one on my CTR 6.5 Creedmoor. In both instances, recoil was reduced to a shudder and bullet flight was visible through the scope all the way to the steel. They make a 3 and a 4 port brake. Their web site shows tests against the popular "Fat Ba$terd" brake that PRS shooters are using and there is less recoil with the MBM. I let an 80 pound teenaged girl shoot my RPR 308 prone and after firing a nice ten shot 200M group, she looked up at her dad and said, "We need to get one of these. Kicks like a twenty -two!"

I don't know if they will or can ship overseas but if someone is heading for the SHOT show.......~Andrew

There is an outfit in Boise, Idaho called Muzzle Brakes and More (M.B.M) that makes a fantastic, self indexing brake. I put one on my Ruger RPR and one on my CTR 6.5 Creedmoor. In both instances, recoil was reduced to a shudder and bullet flight was visible through the scope all the way to the steel. They make a 3 and a 4 port brake. Their web site shows tests against the popular "Fat Ba$terd" brake that PRS shooters are using and there is less recoil with the MBM. I let an 80 pound teenaged girl shoot my RPR 308 prone and after firing a nice ten shot 200M group, she looked up at her dad and said, "We need to get one of these. Kicks like a twenty -two!"

I don't know if they will or can ship overseas but if someone is heading for the SHOT show.......~Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I've sent them a email.

Cheers

Danny.

I designed one and had it made up by simon pinkney engineering for my 300wm

very cheap

£30 I think

Steel

3 ports on each side

45 deg back angle

11deg "crown"

8mm bore

reduces recoil considerably