SnipersHide Cup 2017

TJC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It entirely depends on venue to be honest. There is a distinction between ranges and shall we call it hunting/open tickets for want of a better phrase. It is not an easy circle to square if you have the former and matches are on the latter but the venues suggested so far are either ranges or could be in the near future.

The Hide Cup will be on Nov 3-4 at Rifles Only. I know RO and Jacob well. It is a truly fantastic facility and you can bet your life Jacob will have some innovative and uncomfortable unsupported positions. If that TX wind kicks in it will be a very hard match. Deliberate Dynamics have their PRS match the weekend before in Utah so am tempted to do both.

Concur on TJC's comments re. Wind at RO, think it was at the 2005 cup (or bash?) that you actually let the movers go by and shot behind them and the wind blew the bullet ahead - psychologically wrong!! :)

If you can make these comps they are a challenge but run friendly, if you can find it I did a write up in the Aug 2007 Shooting Sports magazine that gave a flavour of that years Cup, it was the first year they threw in a surprise helicopter stage - much fun!

T

Being at Shot Show, and seeing and talking to various manufacturers, it would seem PRS is the new big thing in Gun Games.

In fact, while talking to a friend there who takes part in local Arizona matches, he says that the industry is really getting into it with new actions, stocks, scopes and other stuff such as QD bipod rails and barricade stops etc.

Maybe some of that is taking it too far in the direction of UKPSA ethos (they've certainly adopted the multi-coloured "cycling shirts"), but also new shooting techniques are growing out of it, and as always the US LE community and AMU are talking notice and beginning to participate

Being at Shot Show, and seeing and talking to various manufacturers, it would seem PRS is the new big thing in Gun Games.

In fact, while talking to a friend there who takes part in local Arizona matches, he says that the industry is really getting into it with new actions, stocks, scopes and other stuff such as QD bipod rails and barricade stops etc.

Maybe some of that is taking it too far in the direction of UKPSA ethos (they've certainly adopted the multi-coloured "cycling shirts"), but also new shooting techniques are growing out of it, and as always the US LE community and AMU are talking notice and beginning to participate

100%. PRS is reportedly the fastest growing area within firearms sports at the moment (Ruger RPR was built with this in mind). The sport received a massive boost from returning servicemen keen to maintain and build skills post deployment and the standard of shooting is very high. Sponsorship is massive in the sport hence the shirts and large prize tables and some genuinely good people leading the sport. One winner of a recent match won a lovely rifle and immediately gifted it to a new shooter who had borrowed one for a match and an owner of a fabulous facility / arguably the best in the US allowed me to spend a week living and training on his lodge / ranges after just a phone call. Who does that ?

South Africa has their own PRS match in Nov as part of the overall league. Hopefully one day we will have the same.

• 2 months later...

The PRS really know how to put on a match. They now have them in South Africa and Australia too. The gas gun series looks like a serious test of skill and equipment.

Plenty of people can put on a match, it happens all the time, but also plenty of people can't or won't.

Having a facility is the first obstacle to overcome.

My only real issue with this (and it's a minor one) is that like all US action shooting sports, it draws its influences from IPSC type shooting

What do you mean re drawing influence from IPSC ? What's the issue ?

Def agree with you that having a facility being a major obstacle but we also have a problem in the UK re conditions for range use. I think these matches work better over field conditions but a range would def be better than nothing of course.

I do think a lot of people believe they can put on a match but I don't believe many can to a high standard. It takes a lot of skill, experience and knowledge. You only need look at the recent Bushnell Brawl match in the US where ROs were invited to select prizes from the sponsors table even before the first placed shooter. Controversial perhaps but I think it points to the value of having good Range Officers and Match Directors.

What do you mean re drawing influence from IPSC ? What's the issue ?

Def agree with you that having a facility being a major obstacle but we also have a problem in the UK re conditions for range use. I think these matches work better over field conditions but a range would def be better than nothing of course.

I do think a lot of people believe they can put on a match but I don't believe many can to a high standard. It takes a lot of skill, experience and knowledge. You only need look at the recent Bushnell Brawl match in the US where ROs were invited to select prizes from the sponsors table even before the first placed shooter. Controversial perhaps but I think it points to the value of having good Range Officers and Match Directors.

That happens all the time, nothing new

At SMM3G the ROs have their own separate prize table with the first pick of the lot, and no one else gets to see it.

I don't agree with those kind of prizes anyway

As for my previous comment, most American run n gun events follow a similar formula, and this is just a longer range derivative of practical pistol, albeit with rifles

I'm not sure if it really is just a longer range version of practical pistol. You could be right but shooting movers at 500 yards at an angle, loophole shots, KYL and shooting from a rooftop or off tyres and other barricades strikes me as more than a variation but it's subjective of course.

If you want to put a very different twist on a match you can look towards Zak's Smiths Steel Safaris or Mamouth Sniper Challenge both of which combine rucking/physical distance and marksmanship over anything up to 2 days and 40 miles of mountainous terrain. I'm sure that wouldn't go down well in Snowdonia Nat Park but imagine doing that and ending up at Orion. That would be a lot of fun !

John MH: i would never enter a match for the prize table and can't believe people would stoop so low as to cheat. That's a pity and I hope they were named, shamed and kick'd out for good.

TJC

Re your question 'what's the issue with IPCS?' - as soon as you see teams with shiney polo shirts you know your buggered! ;)

Seriously, as soon a sponsored teams enter into things the whole feeling goes, people will start gaming it.

Talking with folks PRS organisation has definitely brought a more slick approach to the original comps like the Cup and Brawl but in talking literally yesterday with someone who's been involved over many years with these competitions, organising comps himself, the worry of those who participated prior to PRS is the loss of the super friendly feeling - the competing was second to this.

Having seen what he IPSC has done to say CAS it is easy to see what could happen to PRS.

Shooting movers an 'funny' positions (and from helicopter!) was all there prior to PRS, as were 24 hours non stop and issue ammo single caliber etc etc. All were fun

T

Gaming is a feature of most sports today and it's not just sponsored shooters. To me it is quite simple, if you see something that looks like gaming tell the match director. If you keep quiet then don't whine about it after and this is where having a match director who knows what he's doing and won't put up with nonsense comes into his own. It is also the responsibility of sponsoring companies to ensure their shooters represent their brand well.

To be fair to sponsored shooters, there are way more good ones than bad with many giving away their prizes including new rifles and scopes to new shooters or shooters who's equipment goes down in a match l. It's very good to see and I've never seen that in the UK (although I hope it happens).

PRS is not perfect but they are trying to apply the lessons of the past and deserve credit for that.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived