Steyr SSG rifles , any info

Hi Guys ,

I am after any info good or bad about the Steyr SSG rifles , also would like to see some pics of them , especially the new version with the alloy folding stock that was at the IWA show this year ,

Cheers Chris

Chris

I`ve got the SSG Police in 22-250 in a Mac stock.Theres some pics somewhere I`ll try to dig out later.I love mine and its a fabulous foxing rifle if you`ve got transport.I wouldn`t like to carry it round all day/night though

Northernchris has the SSG and knows a lot more about them than the average bear so he`s probably the man to answer your questions :D

Chris

I have no special knowledge of these rifles but bought one a year ago in 308. I didn't mean to buy one exactly but I was in the Sportman in Paignton and was talked into having it. A pal of mine had already been nagging me to get one on the basis that they're just about the most-accurate out of the box 308 you're going to find short of custom rifles at twice the price. This particular rifle was a good deal as the shop had bought in a job lot of the police version (lighter barrel and iron sights) complete with 6x Khales scope - too good to pass up.

Good points - accuracy, smooth feeding magazine, you can still get 10-shot magazines, trigger is crisp, hammer-forged barrel is tough. They all seem to shoot half an inch and, if you want to check, they come with a test target. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

Bad points - the stock is made of the cheapest plastic you've ever seen, if you drip solvent into the plastic around the front action screw you're likely to get breakage of the inner plastic moulding that holds the magazine (not the end of the world unless it happens in the middle of a stalking trip or comp). They need special rings to fit on the built-in grooves - they're expensive. The barrels are (I'm told) cryogenically fitted into the very long action. Instead of screw fitting the barrel they are frozen and push-fitted to the action. Weird but it works. Fitting a new barrel would be a challenge. The magazines aren't that tough (that plastic again).

Hope that helps.

Cornishman.

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the info , so far , I sort of know the main problems , ( weak stock , & need for Steyr rings & the pushed in barrel ) .

I like the Tac rifles in this cal , providing they are designed & made well , I have a PH M85 , a TRG-21 ( which is getting replaced by the new TRG22 Green version ) , and a AWF if it ever gets to me , on order .

I have always also wanted a Steyr SSG , as well , what is IT like to reload , I have heard that , because of the rear locking lugs , that its hard on brass , ie brass dosn't last long ?

Also , the Steyr rings , can you get them in 30mm version ?

Also who has the best deals on these rifles etc ?

Later Chris

Hi Chris

I have shot a couple of SSG's and worked on one.

Both 308's, they both shot very well with factory ammo and even better with homeloads, brass life - wasnt an issue at all...

The one I worked on - the owner had managed to crack one of the mounting lugs on the trigger hanger (its an alloy casting - how he did it is beyond me), but I changed the trigger for a new single set mech and it was very nice to shoot an no change in accuracy after that.

That particular rifle also had a cracked mag bottom insert (like previous post), I got a new one from Sportsman (Steyr only deal with them in the UK)

I guess they would be the first place to look for a "deal"

Nice allround package, but in my opinion crap stock (the plastic one anyway) - havent seen the folder.

SSG

Its true the only thing that lets these guns down is the bloody stocks

Thye one on my .243 went at the rail underneath the forend and it was a stripey deckchair getting a replacement stock out of the sportsman I ended up buying a new one in the end :mad:

Wayne :)

hi chris,i have a ssg69 p1( green machine) mine also has the 10rnd mag and 30mm rings! very lucky with the rings,mine are made by APEL ( E.A.W) and are hard to find,unless you want to pay silly money for them and by them from APEL, i have a kahles kass z4 84 scope (1") tube on the orignal mounts only diff between mine and cornishmans is i have the 10x power scope, i also have a mk4 l/r/t leupold in the 30mm mounts ,so i can just swap scopes over, the apel mounts are quick release,in fact i ran a little test this morning at the range,fired 3 rounds ,then removed the scope and slid it back on ,fired another 3 rounds 5 though a ragged hole at 100 ,one slightley out ,but i,m sure that was me! awsome ! the loads it shoots really well with are 155 LAUPUA SCENARS ,OVER 44 GRAINS VARGET,FED GOLDMATCH PRIMER,LAUPUA BRASS AND SET TO SAAMI SPEC DEPTH, a really stunning round worked out by silentsoules, i have not had any problems with mine at all as yet, i think you may find warne do a set of 3omm rings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

Just SAW the alloy folding stock for the Steyr SSG sniper rifle , and I was disappointed , it not the Steyr SSG series that I like , BUT the newer SSG04 series , which is based on the SBS 96 steyr action , and not the rear locking older Steyr SSG .

Its called the SSG08 rifle , and I am not that interested in it .

What I would have liked would have been a lite weight alloy folder , that fitted onto the SSG rifles , and maybe a STEEL 10rd mag as well , of well .

Later Chris

For what its worth, I had the Steyr Professional in .270 win for years and I loved it, I had no problems with brass wear and with 130 grain sierra gamekings it shot like a dream. I have not handled the new SSG's but I am not a fan of the SBS system. I have seen several clients who are very confused by the safety arrangements and thats on their own rifles! I sometimes wonder about getting another Professional just for old times sake but the ones that you see tend to be from Scotland and I dare say a good proportion of them started life as FC or RDC work rifles and have probably had thousands of rounds through them and very little TLC. JC

After looking for a bit of a "do it all gun" I picked up a new SSG 69 in .308 last week.

It's the full issue kit. Green stock, open sights, mounts (serialised to rifle), swarovski ZFM 6x42 Z scope, sling, muzzle cap, Steyr hard case, test target and manual.

I think there have been a few of these knocking about at good prices as part of a cancelled or unexportable order either from Steyr or somewhere here in the UK.

I've zeroed it at 100M and with 155grn RG it was printing .5 - 1 MOA. Most shots fell into the .5 MOA with only the odd one opening them up to 1 MOA which was most likely me and the fact that the scope is parallax free at 300M.

I'm at the range again tomorrow to shoot at 200 and 600M so I'll see what it does there.

Cheers

Clive

Clive

Your rifle sounds exactly the same spec as mine and Millpool's. They were imported by Sportmans in bulk and some as a fully scoped-up package. The story was that Steyr made a batch for a middle-East country and had a few left over and Sportsmans took the lot.

I think you'll find the scopes are badged as Khales (a subsidiary of Swarovski) and although I had reservations about the post reticle the glass is as good as anything I've ever used and I've shot some superb groups with it. I've found it likes 168g bullets best but the 155s are fine as well. This is a genuine half-minute rifle.

A great package.

Cornishman.

Archived