shooting / walking boots

rhhudson

Hi,

im after some new walking/ shooting boots, my old ones have started taking in water, despite spraying them with repellant.

my budget is around £120 ish,

Mostly will be used when out lamping at night (in wet muddy grass) but also i go hill walking with friends some times.

Main requirements are..... waterproof & comfortable

any sugestions would be great

thanks rob

I work at Go Outdoors in footwear and the best seller is the Scarpa Terra which is full grain leather and a Gore-tex membrane. This boot is very flexible and light and I have sold over 500 pairs since starting there and I think that extremely few have ever been returned.

If you want something more robust in the Scarpa range go for the Ranger Gore-tex which is heavier and stiffer. The Scarpa Delta GTX is another stiffer boot.

If you have a wider foot then the Meindl is a good one and the Bhutan is recommended, but check the website for costs.

You will need to try them on with the sock you intend to wear and make sure that you remove the insole and stand on them, place your heel correctly and you should have about a little finger/index fingers gap between your toes and the end of the insole. Just a guide but it will make sure that your toes do not bang the end continually if you go down a hill.

Whichever boot you choose they should be pretty comfortable out of the box.

Just my two pennorth

Is there a current version of the Scarpa Bionic that was all the rage in the late 80's?

I'm having great difficulty finding a traditional leather boot that's wide enough and with a really stiff sole.

RePete

Meindl Borneo 2 are the most comfortable, hard wearing boots I have ever owned.

They are all leather, including the inners, have never leaked, and have been worn daily for the last 5 years for shooting and dog walking and the Vibram soles are still far from needing replacing.

I would recommend them to anyone.

I do a lot of walking.

Having had meindl's , Brashers etc, I have never found a boot of this type wearable, out of the box. Until I bought a pair of Bates assault boots. They lasted 4 years of everyday 3-4 miles. I bought another pair, and they were instantly wearable.

Hate to say it Les, but the very worst advice I've ever had was from go outdoors. They sold me a pair of Saloman top end boots, which were simply unbearable, and after half a dozen go,s actually damaged my feet. Absolute junk, and absolutely crap service.

I've walked/climbed 101 Lakeland Fells, some of them several times, and various other similar terrains. I also average 8 -10 miles per day dog walking. I'm on my second pair of Meindl Burmas, worn out two pairs of Brashers and just worn out a pair Scarpas.

You can't get Brashers anymore, which is probably just as well as I found them positively dangerous in the wet.

I tried cheap boots - never again. I tried fabric boots - never again. It has to be leather upper, gortex lined every time.

In my experience Scarpa boots are definitely the most comfortable out of the box and the Meindl range the most hard wearing.

If I'm walking on typical Fell country it's Meindl's. Anything else it's Scarpas.

You won't go wrong with either.

Do many meindl's get returned to go outdoors for leaking?They were certainly the boot for moor keepers 5 years ago .Not so much now though.Too many waterproofing issues recently for my liking.Indeed,are they classed as waterproof now or just water resistant? Some dispute as to where theyre made now also,germany or Romania?

I do a lot of walking.

Having had meindl's , Brashers etc, I have never found a boot of this type wearable, out of the box. Until I bought a pair of Bates assault boots. They lasted 4 years of everyday 3-4 miles. I bought another pair, and they were instantly wearable.

Hate to say it Les, but the very worst advice I've ever had was from go outdoors. They sold me a pair of Saloman top end boots, which were simply unbearable, and after half a dozen go,s actually damaged my feet. Absolute junk, and absolutely crap service.

You didn't come to Newcastle upon Tyne store then lol.

I have been using the Salomon Quest 4D GTX purchased about 5 years ago now and still going very strong and waterproof. So no complaints from me.

But with any fabric/GTX construction you run the risk if the membrane fails, your going to get wet whereas leather/GTX gives the best protection I think.

I am using a pair of Scarpa Cyrus Mid GTX and comfortable straight out of the box (for me) and am wearing them this morning and off up to Otterburn ranges for a spot of plinking.

Have fun.

I do a lot of walking.

I have been using the Salomon Quest 4D GTX purchased about 5 years ago now and still going very strong and waterproof. So no complaints from me.

But with any fabric/GTX construction you run the risk if the membrane fails, your going to get wet whereas leather/GTX gives the best protection I think.

I am using a pair of Scarpa Cyrus Mid GTX and comfortable straight out of the box (for me) and am wearing them this morning and off up to Otterburn ranges for a spot of plinking.

Have fun.

Do many meindl's get returned to go outdoors for leaking?They were certainly the boot for moor keepers 5 years ago .Not so much now though.Too many waterproofing issues recently for my liking.Indeed,are they classed as waterproof now or just water resistant? Some dispute as to where theyre made now also,germany or Romania?

Like all boots from any manufacturer, there is a small percentage returned, but with Meindls that percentage at Newcastle is pretty small. Most boots are made in China, but Scarpa are manufactured in Romania and possibly the Meindls as well (will check when I go in later on today). But nothing is perfect folks apart from me!!

I have had may different boots over the years but l have to say l was recommended the Salomon Quest 4D GTX about 18 months from good friend of mine who does a lot of miles. I was initially sceptical as l had always had leather boots in the past. These boots are the most comfy l have ever worn from day one and are still going strong and have never leaked.

They have fantastic grip, have a great lacing system which never comes undone and are lightweight compared to leather boots, which does make a big difference when you have tabbed a few miles.

They biggest consideration l had was the funky design which is not going to be to everyone's taste.

N8ess

Anyone who thinks that everything made in Romania is substandard, please feel free to send me all of your IOR optics for - ahem! - "disposal".

;)

maximus otter

There is a common misconception that anything made east of Germany and west of Japan is of poorer quality. In most cases (not all, I grant you) - they just happen to be produced cheaper and sometimes better quality. You would be surprised where your top-notch kit comes from.

I have some very high end fly fishing rods, reels and lines. One of the manufacturers I buy from has moved its entire production operation to China and the quality is even better than before. I've just realised that my latest waterproof jacket was made in China.

A mate of mine, and my father in law, always buy a well known Japanese brand of TV/Audio equipment which has persistently given them trouble. Ironically they still buy it because they trust the brand.

Made in China doesn't always mean shite and made in Japan, for instance, doesn't always mean the best.

Not saying Romanian products are bad,but meindl's were made in Bavaria,the manufacturing has been moved to Romania as far as I'm aware.Why? To keep costs down ?Nothing wrong with that as long as the quality dosnt go down as well.And judging by my last two pairs it certainly has.

Have fun.

I,m sure i would have had better advice from yourself Les, no slight intended buddy.

The salomon's i bought are the 4D GTX,s I believe. Simply hated them, and I gave them a fair crack of the whip.

Just goes to show that boots are like cars or guns, or women. We all have different tastes, and obviously....feet.

I,m sure i would have had better advice from yourself Les, no slight intended buddy.

The salomon's i bought are the 4D GTX,s I believe. Simply hated them, and I gave them a fair crack of the whip.

Just goes to show that boots are like cars or guns, or women. We all have different tastes, and obviously....feet.

No offence taken sunshine.

Your quite right as one mans meat is another mans poison re shoes/boots/women etc.

Good shooting.

Might we offer a plug for Altbergs? www.altberg.co.uk

We've just managed to wear out a pair after 23 years' military and civilian use and they have offered to refurbish them for us to save us splashing out a new pair. Comfortable as carpet slippers, waterproof, warm in Nogginland winters and not too hot in Mesopotamian summers...

Altberg every time. Had Meindles...way too narrow, worse than Scarpas and so-so build compared with the Altbergs. Had Scarpa Terra. Very comfortable out of the box but still a little narrow and started to pinch after less than an hours wear. Now use Altberg Tethras. Buy once cry once. Totally waterproof, as comfy as a pair of slippers from out of the box and available in 5 width fittings. I take a wide and opted for their Xtra wide which are perfect. Build and leather quality are top drawer...boots don't get any better. Hiked miles over Lake District fells including some severe climbs and rocky terrain this year with them and have been out stalking using them in the hills and wet weather. Feet never overheated and stayed bone dry. I also use Altberg defenders which you can pick up new and unused (ex military supply) on Ebay for between £40 and £70. High leg, unlined but treated with LederGris, mine have been out in atrocious weather and boggy ground and never once did my feet get wet. Highly recommended and a fraction of the cost of dedicated shooting boots. Will last years if cared for. British company too!

Are the Altbergs completely waterproof? There website clearly states they are not wellies! I have a pair of Meindle dovre and they have been great and completely waterproof but are about ready for replacing and I'd be up for a pair of Altbergs if they are waterproof to above the ankle.

I have had a pair of Meindl Vakuum boots for a year and a half now.

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/vakuum-gtx

Bought from Go Outdoors ( Birmingham) for £157, on a price match, and a discount card.

They have been comfortable from day one. Waterproof as well. :)

Stalking, shooting, beating etc. they have been put to the test. My test, at least. :D

Steve.

Are the Altbergs completely waterproof? There website clearly states they are not wellies! I have a pair of Meindle dovre and they have been great and completely waterproof but are about ready for replacing and I'd be up for a pair of Altbergs if they are waterproof to above the ankle.

Yes. My Altberg Tethra's are totally waterproof, 100% definitely irrespective of marketing bumf. Anything that is stitched I think cannot be said to be 100% proofed, but I have waded through streams, been in wet dewy grass and have been in prolonged downpours and not once have the Tethras let me down, ever. They are goretex (or similar) lined. My Defenders are not meant to be, but are, mostly. Only because I treat them with Ledergris before (and after) every outing. They have once or twice got ever so slightly damp inside but that was in truly awful conditions. For the most part, they're probably one of the best all round shooting boots I've ever owned.

Had a pair of scarper boots for the last 6/7 years,still going strong.Best boots I've ever worn.

When i got mine they had me walking all over the shop for 30min,up steps down ramps trying to kick my toes forward whilst wearing the boots.

It has deffinately paid off as they are like slippers.

(Cotswould)

Atb

Dave

Archived