TMK175

stu47

Hi all,

I have a Tikka M55, 22", 1in12 twist barrel. My pet load was a SMK175 with RL15 at 44.5gr in a Lapua Case with a BR2 Primer with a Base to ogive of 2.240 - good for 1/2" groups at 100m and good out to 600m (max distance tried so far). Magneto Sporter average 2650fps - ES = 35fps.

I have tried SMK155's, SMK168's, Scenar 155's, Amax 155's with Vit140, Vit150, H4895, IMR4895 and GMM210 - but the TMK175 trumps the lot in this rifle.

TMK175, RL15 at 44.3gr, Lapua Case, BR2 with a Base to ogive of 2.255 using a 0.336 Neck Bush giving 1 thou tension. Averages 2630fps - ES = 15fps. This has produced ragged one hole groups at 100m on four separate occasions and served me well out to 500m this last weekend.

I know it's slower than my SMK load but it's way more accurate.

I have some SMK190's loaded up with Vit150 to try out next.

Next year will be when I try my hand at 1000 - I won't worry the F Class and FTR lads but I just want to try before I spend a small fortune on a dedicated rig for this discipline - see if I like it first.

Thanks for the write up, some good info. I was thinking of trying the TMK series and its nice to know they are performing well. Currently using the SMK155, and they struggle at 1k and 2824fps. Need a bit more velocity mind.

Whats your drop at 500 by the way?

Drop at 500 is about 60" from a 100 zero - scope adjusted to 11.5 moa elevation - this was backed up by what JBM and Strelock both reported (roughly).

Hopefully I will get a chance to re-chrono this Sunday as the temp has dropped off and maybe the load is running a little slower (apparently RL15 can be temp sensitive - from what I have read).

I tried the SMK190/ Vit150 combo - looks promising and I now have two nodes to work on - with seating depths next time. As an aside Vit150 burns so much cleaner than RL15!

any luck on the chrono results btw. It is very reassuring when the ballistcs programs give good comparision with real world results. Means setup is spot on and you can run bullet/ velocity scenario variations with confidence.

I do find Vit powders are clean burning with decent pressures.

• 3 weeks later...

The two nodes for the SMK190's showing promise where running at 2455 and 2503 fps respectively - I tried differing seating depths from 2.8 (COAL - dont have my book on me so cant remember the ogives) and increased in 15 thou intervals. They're good but not as good as the SMK or TMK175's in my rifle - but I was only testing at 100m with the 190's so not written them off completely just yet.

I was next to another shooter and we got talking and ended up swapping a near full tub of H4895 for two boxes of Juggernauts he wasn't using so I'll be testing these next or I may save them for my FTR rig if/ when I get it!

Cheers

Archived