Tikka Stock / Chassis options?

Brushy

Hi,

Looking to abuse the collective wisdom again......

I recently bought a Tikka T3 with a heavy stainless barrel in 300 win mag for the longer range stuff. Does anyone know of any decent stocks / chassis that accept long action Tikka's - options seem thin on the ground?

NB - I realise that Tikka's have one action length with mag spacers but I am ideally looking for something where I can run long bullets so ideally LA AICS mags.

So far, it seems that the only option is MDT in the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Brushy

Hi,

So far, it seems that the only option is MDT in the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Brushy

Far from it!

If you search, I recently posted an extensive list of what is currently available for the T3, however if you wish to buy here in the UK ... ... ...

• GRS - Berserk
  • GRS Laminate stocks
  • GRS Bolthorn
  • KRG Whiskey 3
  • KRG X-Ray
  • AICS AX - early next year I believe
  • MDT LSS/LSS XL
  • MDT HS3
  • MDT Tac21
There are many more available if you are willing to import yourself.

GRS - Highland Outdoors

MDT - several UK importers

KRG - March Scopes

Thanks for the response DW58.

I'd considered most of these.

KRGs are both short action and will not accept AI long action magazines.

GRS bolthorn - its so UGLY!! Other GRS stocks - does anyone have an opinion on these? Will these only accept Tikka standard magazines etc?

MDT - I'm not sold on these.....never played with one but they seems pretty expensive for what they are.

Very, very interested in the AI - best get saving!!

Any other options out there?

I have owned/own the following:

• MDT Tac21 - Very heavy, clumsy, poor ergonomics in my opinion, although has the versatility of letting you choose which stock, I had MDT skeleton stock which just addes to the weight - sold.
  • KRG X-Ray - Love it, good ergonomics, suspect Whiskey 3 would be even better with its push-button adjustments - my son and I have 2. Would buy again, or even more so buy Whiskey 3.
  • GRS Bolthhorn - Really like it, excellent ergonomics, very good adjustments, have added folding facility to mine, available for long/short actions, uses AICS mags. My go-to chassis, would buy again.

+ 1 on the X-ray. Have one on my 308 and love it.....its dead stable with the bipod on the spigot. Sadly only available for short 'actions' due to magazine limitations.

I've come to the same conclusion (admitted just from photos) about the MDT but its good to have feedback from someone that has had one.

I shoot with people who have both the GRS laminated stocks and the "Berserk" and hear nothing but positive results. I believe both come set-up for Tikka mags, but can be easily fitted with appropriate bottom metal for AICS mags ... ... ... or of course you could use the latest British 10-rd. T3 mags offered by "BlackRifle"/"MajorDisorder".

Oh, forgot to add I have a Norwegian friend who uses a GRS Bolthorn for extreme long range shooting with a T3-actioned .30-06 Ackley Improved - oh boy can he shoot!

I don't have the full specs, but I,m fairly sure the AI stock will be the AT and not the AX, and it will most certainly be in short action [308 length ] mags first.

Jackson Rifles have got a couple of Mcmillan A3-5 's in stock inletted for the T3. Superb bits of kit and great people to deal with.

Ben

Great stocks once they have had the inlets sorted out and been fully bedded. Some of those McMillans are shocking right out of the factory, I had one last week looked like it had been inletted by Stevie Wonder.

Great stocks once they have had the inlets sorted out and been fully bedded. Some of those McMillans are shocking right out of the factory, I had one last week looked like it had been inletted by Stevie Wonder.

That's interesting Alan, is that a regular problem? The three that I'v brought all fitted perfectly.

Also check out the Cadex chassis from Canada. They produce a chassis that allows the use of factory mags. The way things are going there will probably be an after market long action mag coming along.

I appraoched Cadex for a quotation acouple of years back, before I ordered my MDT chassis system - Cadex are expensive to start with, and by the time you factor in export license (yes you still need one from Canada), shipping, import charges (Customs Duty and VAT), they work out VERY expensive.

That's interesting Alan, is that a regular problem? The three that I'v brought all fitted perfectly.

From what I can gather quality varies. Ive done 4 McMillan stocks in the last 4 or so months, one was really poor with the hole enters miles out both in terms of distance apart but also in terms of not being central, another which was for a T3 had the floor plate inlet already cut miles too big and the wrong shape, the other two were passable.

From what Ive seen of McMillan lately I couldn't imagine fitting them straight out of the box, I dont think the inletting is good enough.

That's not very promising on the McMillan.

I was hopeful that there would be plug and play option, like the AICS, W3 using a nice v-block.

Surely this is a hole in the market? The T3's have a good rep....

Why not give Danny a shout at SSS?

He put a T3 CRT into one of his A5 type stocks for me. I'm well happy with it. I use it more than anything else.

I've got a Mcmillan another rifle (he inletted and bedded that one as well) and on ballance, I'll continue buying British next time as well. When I collected my T3, he was in the process of building himself a T3 in 6.5 swede with an AICS mag so he might be worth a call, as I think he also made the bottom metal.

Just my 2c.

That GGS Predator actually looks pretty good. Have you actually seen one DW58? I wonder how good the aluminium bedding surface is?

That's a negative, but I've heard some pretty favourable comments over on FaceySpaceyBook.

You can always consider a Dolphin stock (mik mak) on here. He does an inlay for both the Tikka T3 actions and onviously can finish them to your requirements - certainly also has inlets for the AI .300winmag Magazines as thats what my T3 is using in 6.5x55.

Might not be wood but they are very adjustable, functional and adaptable. Once you get yout head 'round the idea they are a breeze to shoot and I love the two I have.

Oh and whilst in my opinion about Cadex being expensive for what they are, there is a regular importer and distributor in the uk now if you fancy going down that route......

Come on don't be so secretive, who is the importer?

Archived