6BR loading for 105 Amax (N140?)

bewsh

In the absence of Varget I am going to be working up a load for a new rifle arriving next week with N140, Norma brass, CCI450 and 105gr AMax

I can see a range for the powder of 25-31gr

although book MV data seems low at 2750-2775fps

am interested to see if anyone is using N140 effectively for 105s?

I,m comfortable with 30.5/140 with Fed GM primers,,,this is showing 2800 appx at 10 thou off in a tight neck 25" Bartlein,,,,,primers flattening a little but feds probably would anyway,,,,,,,,,Have always used Vit 140 for this combination and bullet weight,,,,,O

Br 700 what barrel length you running ? As my load H4895 "28.4" is 2720fps from a 25 " yours is a little quicker ! unless your runing a 28 or somewhere thereabouts ? Cheers.

Isn't N150 also a good powder for this combination?

Also interested why you have gone for Norma brass when pretty much everyone else rates Lapua as THE brass to use in 6BR?

the lot I had was very inconsistent in the neck thickness and outer diameter (same thing really on factory inside neck sized brass!)

The comparable norma lot I had was much more consistent

As I am No Turn outside neck sizing with Redding bushing dies on this cartridge I figured it would make sense to go for the most consistent

The rest of my loading is done inside neck sized with a collet so less critical

The only experience I had with Lapua brass was incredibly fast work hardening resulting in lack of obturation with even fruity loads

hard on the 2nd or best case 3rd firing

I also use Norma in every other cartridge from .222 through 300wm

can't fault the stuff

Archived