UKBRA 1000 Yards 14th August 2016

mole-e30

1000 yard Benchrest Competition Sunday 14th August

As I came over the top towards Diggle my car’s external temperature monitor suddenly drop from around 13-140C to about 60C. My initial reaction was my God this is August what sort of day are we in for? However, at the range it felt more like the 13-140C, I have subsequently found the temperature monitor is dicky! Weather didn’t seem too bad, almost shorts weather – well done to the hardy fellow who was in shorts.

The Range House was looking fairly packed with expectant shooters how many would we have today?

Immediate recognition to Graham Francis and Simon Drake, who probably travel there furthest getting here first and putting out the wind flags, thanks guys keep it up.

As it turned out we had 5 Heavy guns, 7 Factory Sporters and 19 Light Guns, 31 in total, not a record but a good turnout. Heavy Guns and Factory Sports to go first.

As per last month, first shots down the range just the back of 10, great let’s keep this up.

Heavy guns, one relay of 3 and another of 2 to get the day started. Again the butts crew are noticing a light but twitchy wind. There are a couple of groups just under 200mm one to John Campbell and the smallest to Jochen Shulz at 191mm. Most are managing to keep their groups respectable in the 250-400mm range but this is not going to be a day for records. What is very noticeable is the 10 shot pattern, in the main most folks tend to put between 7 and 9 shots in close proximity but then there the remaining 1-3 open up the group, often doubling its size or even more – just and observation folks. In the ends honours go to John Campbell followed by Jochen Shulz and then Phil Sammons using his ‘F’ Class rifle.

Now for Factory Sporter, again 2 relays. Welcome to Steve Heywood for his first 1000yard shoot, hope you do well. As you would expect the 5 shot groups are somewhat smaller than the Heavy Gun’s tens. The “new boy” gets the smallest group at 146mm – well done Steve, just ahead of Alan Seagrave and his worn out barrel at 148mm. However, in the end Alan comes through to claim first place but with Steve close on his heals, Toni Young takes third place. Alan and Steve giving most of the Light Guns a good “kicking”.

Lunch before 12:00 is that one for the record books?

Light guns – 19 off, 5 relays, seems a while since we needed 5 relays. Welcome to Alex Carson, think this is also your first 1000yards, again good luck. But what is the wind doing? A battle is soon developing between the usual protagonists, with some reasonably small groups appearing: Graham Francis 3 groups less than 160mm, Sean Broxham with 2 groups just under 170mm, Mal Roberts 175mm, Mary Marsden 170 and 157mm, Mike Perdeaux (having a great day) 163mm, Bruce Lenton 163mm, Ian Dixon 185mm, Jack Gibb 170mm, Jim Marsden 180mm and “newbie” Alex Carson 173mm. As we go into the final relay of 3 shooters its Graham, Sean and Bruce in that order with Graham holding the smallest group at 130mm. What are Don Burrows, Steve Dunn (great to see you back) and I going to do, think we might be getting the pick of the wind as it looks to be easing a bit? As the targets go down after the first group I’m wondering why it’s taking so long to mark my group – oh hell this usually means the butts crew are struggling to find all 5 shots! However, as the results come in I have to modestly claim a new UK record with a group size of 64mm. I manage another at 165mm but 3 and 4 are into the mid 200’s. As I said good to see Steve back and he’s not lost his touch with groups of 182 and 179mm. Just to be all above board we’ll weigh my rifle and get the UBKRA’s Official Measurer to check my target. The rifle is less than 17lbs and the group is finally measured at 62.54mm (2.462”). So the final tally for Light Gun is me first, then Graham and Sean.

Thanks to all for the notes and words of congratulation, and a special thanks to Vince (who’s just lost the recorded having had it since 18 June 2006 – 2.670”) who built the rifle, couldn’t have done it without you Vince.

Results for Light Gun:

Ist Tony Lenton 7.299

2nd Graham Francis 7.402

3rd Sean Broxham 7.490

Small Group – Tony Lenton2.462”.

Results for Factory Sporter:

1st Alan Seagrave8.356

2nd Steve Heywood8.720

3rd Toni Young11.890

Small Group – Steve Heywood5.748

Results for Heavy Gun:

Ist John Campbell10.344

2nd Jochen Shulz10.846

3rd Phil Sammons11.152

Small Group – John Campbell7.520

Nearest the Bull:

Toni Young & John Campbell0.472”

2016 League Update (after 5 shoots) - top three

Light Gun

Sean Broxham 35pts, Bruce Lenton 33 pts, Mal Roberts 28pts

Heavy Gun

Emily Lenton 30pts, John Campbell 28 pts, Jochen Shulz 27pts

Factory Sporter

Alan Seagrave 35pts, Stuart Benson 33pts, Nick Parkin 30pts

Next shoot is Sunday 4th September,

Please note: the UKBRA AGM will follow on directly after the prizing giving after this shoot. The planned start for the shoot is brought forward to approx. 09:30 and there will be no lunch break, all need to take lunch on the hoof.

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

For full results click below

Tony Lenton with his Record Breaking Rifle (The Bumble Bee), with Vince Bottomley (Former Record Holder and Builder of Tony's Rifle)

13958034_1244564562228554_85242226634199

The New Record Group 2.462"

13996298_1244564545561889_46248884525062

Hi Tony,

May I take this opportunity (as the man who measured your original shots in the butts) to remind you, if you weren't aware already, that your first 4 shots measured just 27mm!!!!! So that really was some shooting.

I'm sure Vince was happy to hand over the record to a score like that; and no doubt it could be some time before you have to do the same....

Well done, Sir!!

Cheers. Paul

Tony Lenton? Who is this upstart? :)

That UK record should stand for quite sometime methinks and well done.

PS. The rumour mill says that young Emily does your reloading and is also your wind coach and all you do is pull the trigger!!!

Tony Lenton? Who is this upstart? :)

He's the head of the new much feared Family Les. Just think - there's three generations of them at it here, one (Bruce) often winning at 100 yards and not exactly doing badly at 1,000 and 600; one (Tony) shooting record small groups at 1,000 and a third (Emily) an eight year old humiliating old f*rts like thee and me at all distances it seems - and in all classes bar Factory (and who knows - they might just take that up for 2017 to rub our noses in it a bit more).

So with Grandpa Tony the senior clan member that must make him The Godfather :) (............ coming to a range near you, the Lenton syndicate. Be very afraid!) Although I must admit I don't see much resemblance so far between Tony and Marlon Brando as Mario Puzo's Don Corleone in looks or speech.

Ha! Ha! Very well done Tony.

Laurie. I will make sure I do not upset 'The Godfather' or I might be sleeping with the fishes!!

I didn't think there were any in the Diggle Range reservoir.

Wow awesome grouping,looking at the far left bullet hole that was nearly a record that would of never been beaten,27mm 4 shot group at 1000yds is absolutely incredible.what calibre and bullet was this.....?

The gun pimp is going to have too dig deep to get the record back now.

Cetainly a big well done from me.

Wow awesome grouping,looking at the far left bullet hole that was nearly a record that would of never been beaten,27mm 4 shot group at 1000yds is absolutely incredible.what calibre and bullet was this.....?

The gun pimp is going to have too dig deep to get the record back now.

Cetainly a big well done from me.

To be fair that bullet hole on the far left was actually "high", because the picture should be turned clockwise 90 degrees.

Neil,probably.....but really quite a few small groups occur- even world records don't tend to last more than 5 years....

July 2007 Tom Sarver shot 5 in 1.403 inches at 1000y for a then IBS World Record group.It was also centered for score at 50x5x,another record. Cartridge was 300 Hulk,a shortened necked 338LM,around 3000fps with 85g H 1000.

But before you rush off to upgrade,and get shoulder strengthening surgery,consider Jim Richard's Aug 2014 2.687inch light gun record...105g bullets,6mm Dasher...oh,and ten shots.

g

I've fired a 338 quite a few times now and they are pretty harsh in comparison with say a 308 winchester.

The new 10 shot 1000yds record was done with a 6.5x47 and 139gr scenars.i tested some the other day and they were superb.i will go out this afternoon and put a target up at 1000yds and attempt too beat it ?

I've fired a 338 quite a few times now and they are pretty harsh in comparison with say a 308 winchester.

The new 10 shot 1000yds record was done with a 6.5x47 and 139gr scenars.i tested some the other day and they were superb.i will go out this afternoon and put a target up at 1000yds and attempt too beat it

Go for it Neil....

.....don't think about your trigger upgrade in the post.It wasn't used for the record.

g

At what wind speed/conditions will you stop shooting the 6mm br in.

You just allow for them Neil

At what wind speed/conditions will you stop shooting the 6mm br in.

When everyone else stops shooting.......

You just have to make sure you are well centred on the target at the start of each target.

Gusts and lulls are the biggest problem you face with a small calibre. If it's a steady but strong wind you can easily zero for that

Rifle spec is as follows

Stolle Panda - F Class action - Right Bolt, Left Port Non Eject

Kelbly trigger

Kreiger 1:8 barrel in 6BR no turn neck

Stock is a Joe West Benchrest model, cut short on the butt as this was built for my Daughter

Scope is a March 10-60x52

It weighs 16lbs 13oz as it has 0.75kg of lead in the butt

Vince did an excellent job of smithing it, it tracks brilliantly and with the weight and muzzle brake it hardly recoils at all.

As Vince says we use Berger 105grn VLD Bullets, these are not sorted, tipped or anything else.

Hi mole you didn't really answer my question.what makes me ask as I am having a rebarrel at the mo in 284.

I will run it pretty well flat out on a 26 inch tube on the range.

Not sure how many shooters you know who use the 7mm 180gr omt scenar l.i would be intrested to know how they compare with the 180gr bergers.i know trigger squeezer uses them and likes them.they are cheaper than the bergers too.i guess the ftr 1000yd boys use the big 7mm's as they are shooting for points not group sizes . wonder if or how many of them use 6mm brs

neil its horses for courses the big 7 's can be out shot at 1000 by the 6's for group shooting due to less recoil and quicker shooting times betwean shot to shot

neil its horses for courses the big 7 's can be out shot at 1000 by the 6's for group shooting due to less recoil and quicker shooting times betwean shot to shot

As one who regularly uses both 284 / 7 Shehane and 6 BR, I know which I prefer for BR. Having just restocked my 'straight 284' and resighted it / retested my old F-Class match load off a concrete bench, I was struck by the amount of recoil and rifle movement in the sitting shooting position. Not at all an asset, I thought at the time! In fact, I was so struck that I decided I'd see about reducing charges by a grain or three to move down to the next accuracy node with 180s and make it a bit more pleasant to shoot, even though it's used for prone shooting and subjective recoil is less in this position.

And .... I'll stress the subjective bit. The fact that you're not unduly affected by recoil doesn't mean that your performance isn't. FTR and even F-Class with its 22lb rifles and very stable support has shown this. When Bryan Litz / Berger came up with the 215gn Hybrid and even more so the 230, it looked like 200gn and heavier was the way to go in FTR, and 215/230 in the .300WSM was going to overtake the 7WSM in F-Class as that cartridge had with 6.5-284. In practice, the 230 has failed in FTR and although some people use the 215 successfully in the class, the 200gn Hybrid has been the most successful of the trio. Some tried these bullets (alongside the older 210gn BT and VLD models) and gave up moving back to lighter bullets in the 155 to 185gn band as they simply shoot more consistently with them. Even their fans admit that usually, not invariably, they produces greater elevation spreads.

In F-Class (ie 'open') the 300WSM / 230gn combo has not swept all before it. There are users, but they tend to load the cartridge to well below its potential otherwise the swings of improved external ballistics are lsot to the roundabouts of less consistent gun handling.

So why not use 6BR in 1,000 yard F-Class? If you could guarantee no wind changes throughout the 40 or so minutes of a match, or changes that are so slow and mild that they can be accurately read, everybody would likely shoot 6BR - but that's not the real world where the wind changes maybe every 30 - 60 seconds. Now minimising the effects of a missed or seen but inaccurately calibrated change is crucial, and that's where the best possible ballistics subject to good gun handling give a shooter an advantage within the limits of his or her wind reading availability. Result - you'll see 6BR in use in 200-500 yard matches where wind effects are smaller, but the further you go beyond there, the poorer the score in average or bad conditions.

Now that's F-Class where one shoots prone and there are 3 minutes or so between shots in our way of doing these things, sometimes 5 minutes if three shooters share a target. In BR where it's you sitting down and you string shoot trying to get five off smoothly aiming at exactly the same spot and all within the shortest timespan (to try to hold a wind condition), the big boomers become still harder to control. Some people manage it and many past records were shot with 30s and sevens - and I'll bet will be again too. This is a particular issue in 'Light Gun' (17lb all-up weight), but in theory Heavy Gun (unlimited weight) can still benefit through the sheer mass of rifle taming recoil and allowing good control. So in Light Gun increasingly, small calibre super-accurate, light recoiling cartridges are the way to go. In theory, the 'straight 6BR' should be a at a disadvantage to the 'improved' versions with another 100-200 fps for 105gn bullets and even more so to slightly larger sixes with their still higher velocities and a\bility to shoot 115s at useful MVs - 6XC, 6SLR, 6 Swiss Match etc, maybe even more so the smaller 6.5s such as 6.5X47L where the external ballistics gain is greater than the extra recoil effects, but the ordinary little 6BR seems to stay in contention come what may.

Archived