CZ455 .17 HMR / .22 WMR

sandtrap

Just got a variation for HMR and a spare barrel in .22 WMR , will be for rabbits out to 100m . I asked for the WMR just out of interest to try it , is there anyone using both cals and got any input ? also the gun will arrive Monday but haven't yet ordered the WMR barrel , what would this cost ? im sure iv see them for around £130

most likely ill end up with just the HMR

I own both and if all you are going to shoot are 100 yards rabbits then I personally would pick the 17hmr. Saying that I do prefer the versatility of the 22wmr out to 125 yards. More capable on Fox in my experience. Incidentally is anyone else finding 17hmr ammunition hard to find at the moment?

Drum

plenty of 17hmr ,Winchester cci and hornady down this way but all very inconsistent.grouping all to hell more than 1 inch to 3inch at 100 yards .leave the 17hmr and use 22 magnum

Well I probably will push it to some longer ranges . Possibly should have just got a wmr but the .17 will arrive Monday Tuesday and the wmr barrel I'm told will be a few weeks

Just enjoy your HMR like many of us do, yes there are very occasional problems, i have had 1 stuck bullet in 4000 shots.

There are a few vociferous antis who i think must be bunny lovers, as the hmr is even more potent against them

than mixy. It just seem to have that perfect balance between range and lethality at distances that the average shooter

can handle

Have both.

HMR barely gets out now

Ammo is shite at best, really unpredictable accuracy

Wmr shooting 33gr Remington accutip is awesome

Shot hundreds of urban foxes with mine until I got a .222!

Ammo is more expensive now than it used to be but still much cheaper than HMR

Sure on a calm day you can probably stretch the HMR further with less drop, but it's just not as accurate in my rifle (Sako)

Got the HMR today 20" barrel 455 ! The WMR barrel will be a few weeks yet ... So fired 10 rounds today and zeroed at 65m ( all the range I had today ) . But about to head out now and sort out a few pesky rabbits . will increase the zero range to 80m I think once out.

On top is bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 and a DM80 mod that iv replaced the outer sleeve with carbon.

Popped in a lighter trigger spring . Not to light but better than standard

Rifle stock is nice and dark.

But must admit I wish I had the WMR barrel

Perhaps get a few pics up later .

I had a HMR a while ago. Although no probs with brass cases, or stuck bullets (that i noticed) I just got pi**ed off with a slight breeze moving the poi. I now have a .22 WMR. And i believe on paper, the HMR is better regarding wind drift. But out in the field, i'm well chuffed with the round. Although in fairness, i'm yet to try it out on game. It's certainly good enough for me to not go back to the HMR. Yet! :unsure:

I have had three WRFMs-the Anschutz b/a rather disappointed with its accuracy,while the H&K semi auto was not a consistent one moa either (with ammo available then) but of course did offer fast back up if needed ( good fun plinker at clays) ...maybe a 125 yard rabbit cartridge...but all long before the option of the 17 HMR became available....

The ammo issues for 17HMR are an issue.....

CCI have just introduced the " A17 varmint tip" HMR ammo,specifically designed to function optimally ,and 100 fpsfaster,in the Savage A17 semi auto (which we can't have-why didn't someone think 25 years ahead...:-)

Just maybe it will have better quality control....but we may never see it here....

gbal

Having had the HMR for over 13 years, which incedently was brilliant. It's now on the shelf, soon to be on the market due to the inconsistency of the ammunition to date.

Been replaced with another 17,,,, but a good old reliable 17 remington, semi custom joby. I now have a smile back on my face when I go out rabbiting, instead of a cringe each time a round goes fizz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived